Your thoughts on US to Europe shipping?

Thread: Your thoughts on US to Europe shipping?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Your thoughts on US to Europe shipping?

For anyone who has ever done this: Is this worth the hassle with duties, customs, paperwork, additional steps? Is there anything I should be weary of? Thanks

Re: Your thoughts on US to Europe shipping?

I've sent a lot of Leica stuff there without problem. It's usually the receiver that will have the problem with customs delays if there are any. Sometimes you can get a significantly higher price for your item by selling in europe due to the exchange rate.

I wouldn't send anything to the FSU or any of its former satellites, though.

Thanks thats helpful. It would be Netherlands. Which is obviously a major country. I am interested more about your idea on the exchange rate. If I would sell something for $1 USD here domestically, you mean I could get closer to $1.50 for the item in EUR? (due to the exchange rate?)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I would not mind shipping to overseas if the payment is made not made using paypal and buyer pays full cost of shipping inc. insurance.

I just do not want to be responsible once the watch gets shipped to another countries other than US since I am not fully comfortable how other countries custom and mail system works.

Its up to the buyers from over seas to take chance once he pays for any item.

so far I had 5 transactions with over seas buyers , 3 went bad saying they never received the item and 2 did received theirs.

Paypal took side with buyer on the first bad deal, since than any sales made over seas, I do not use paypal when selling over seas customer.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaracer1 View Post
    Thanks thats helpful. It would be Netherlands. Which is obviously a major country. I am interested more about your idea on the exchange rate. If I would sell something for $1 USD here domestically, you mean I could get closer to $1.50 for the item in EUR? (due to the exchange rate?)
    I did sell a lens to someone in the Netherlands last year. He wound up paying an extra $175 in duties on top of the price. That kind of detail is fully the buyer's responsibility as are all other shipping and tax issues.

The exchange rate advantage only works with ebay. Overseas buyers bid higher than local when the exchange rate is in their favor. For sale ads with fixed prices fetch one price no matter where the buyer is located.

Thanks. So best ways to get paid on a transaction like this? (Sounds like PayPal is NOT the way to go.)

moneygram and you eat the fees by lowering price.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaracer1 View Post
    Huh? Exchange rate means if you sell something for a buck, you get a buck. if you use PayPal they makes the buyer pay 3.5% over the going rate so he ends up paying a little more, but you still get just a buck. Insist on insurance so you have delivery conformation and use PayPal.

Today's exchange rate is
    1 U.S. dollar = 0.702345835 Euros
    Last edited by bob857; September 2nd, 2009 at 19:14.
    Prometheus CR 1
    Jacques Lemans 1353
    Croton CA301154TTBK
    Invicta 9937 OB
    Invicta 8928 OB G3
    Invicta 8927
    Invicta 6015
    Invicta 2299 Ocean Ghost II
    Parnis 50mm
    Getat Scooby
    Goer Two Buck Automatic

I've used paypal many times and not been burned, but maybe I'm just lucky. I had one guy in Germany send me cash through the mail after I told him not to (I did receive it, mirabile dictu).

I've only been burned one time when I sent to Moscow(a trade), and my friend who is russian got burned big time by a chap in the Ukraine.

If you're worried about using paypal, ask the guy for references of deals he's made with people in the USA.

If you are a seller, I don't see a problem. Import duties, taxes etc are on buyer. Normally if you ship via DHL or Fedex, they also can act a customs brokers and do customs clerance on behalf of buyer. As a seller you get your money before shipping out, so I would not worry about other party.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information