your trading experience?
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: your trading experience?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question your trading experience?

Just curious how most of you go about it. I have traded many times with local people. I just have never done a trade via the forums with anyone that I have never met. So what is the protocol?

Example, I have a Seiko Premier for sale or trade on the forums now. I have had several interested in trades, a couple that I am interested in as well. So I understand that this becomes "trust time" however, if YOU are trading something, do you wait for a theirs to arrive first, inspect then send yours? Do you wait for a tracking number before sending? send yours first?

I guess I am just looking for some real life experiences from you all as to how it typically works. Thanks everyone.
    Time is relative.

Re: your trading experience?

Wartortle for a Raichu, Nobody liked Raichu but I did :)
    Drop of a Hat likes this.

I have done a couple of trades here, both with established members with solid track records. After details were agreeded upon, both time we sent our watches out the next day, then exchanged tracking numbers. I don't really know how you can do a trade without a certain element of trust by both parties.

If you make sure and check out your trading partner and are satisfied with their reputation, then you will probably be fine.
    By the way both of my trades this year were absolutely perfect. Hope this helps a little.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I traded one watch for two. They guy I was trading with shipped one watch to me, then I sent mine to him, and he dropped the 2nd in the mail after he received mine. It was my first trade & I was a little apprehensive, but in the end it worked out perfectly and I was extremely happy.

Check references & feedback, and you should be ok. I'd also take photos & keep the tracking number until everything was settled.

This would be a bit unorthodox, but if it is a semi expensive enough trade, and it is even slightly geographically feasible and could be the perfect excuse for a road trip. From Michigan you could trade with the east coast, the Midwest, and a part of the south on a weekend road trip. If you are really lucky, maybe the guy would meet you part way down the road as well shortening your trip.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

I send a few emails, ask for some pictures, get comfortable with them and "buy the seller." It's really no different than buying a watch from some online person that you've never met, only instead of paying with money, you're paying with another watch. Sometimes, I talk to the person on the phone (whether I'm trading or buying) and once we are both comfortable, we do the trade.

As for protocol, no, I don't wait until their watch arrives before sending mine, because for all I know they could be waiting on mine before sending theirs... I just tell them "I will mail it tomorrow," and then I mail it... they send me theirs, and there is much rejoicing.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTOG View Post
    Just curious how most of you go about it. I have traded many times with local people. I just have never done a trade via the forums with anyone that I have never met. So what is the protocol?

Example, I have a Seiko Premier for sale or trade on the forums now. I have had several interested in trades, a couple that I am interested in as well. So I understand that this becomes "trust time" however, if YOU are trading something, do you wait for a theirs to arrive first, inspect then send yours? Do you wait for a tracking number before sending? send yours first?

I guess I am just looking for some real life experiences from you all as to how it typically works. Thanks everyone.
    "I'm just a man who loves savings... and pie."

Quote Originally Posted by mpalmer View Post
    This would be a bit unorthodox, but if it is a semi expensive enough trade, and it is even slightly geographically feasible and could be the perfect excuse for a road trip. From Michigan you could trade with the east coast, the Midwest, and a part of the south on a weekend road trip. If you are really lucky, maybe the guy would meet you part way down the road as well shortening your trip.
    I'm sure that might be feasible for someone, but I've never wanted a watch bad enough that I would drive over 30 minutes to get it LOL. If I can't order it online, buy it from WUS, or find it in a local AD, then I don't need it.

The only safe way to do a trade is for each party to buy the others watch and make a paypal payment for the agreed upon amounts. While each side does incur paypal fees, it's worth it in terms of security. If someone would refuse to do it this way, I'd walk away.

Quote Originally Posted by AFG08 View Post
    The only safe way to do a trade is for each party to buy the others watch and make a paypal payment for the agreed upon amounts. While each side does incur paypal fees, it's worth it in terms of security. If someone would refuse to do it this way, I'd walk away.
    Yeah I wouldn't do that, too much trouble. When I have something to trade, I want to do just that. I've bought/sold/traded hundreds of watches over the last decade and haven't been burned - you just have to know what you're doing.

Dre

Like has already been posted, check references, and go with your gut feeling after you've communicated with the seller. I just completed a trade, both of us are happy with the watches we received. He excused himself for not answering PM's immediately, said he was slammed at work. But he did answer back, and we negotiated all the pertinent details and mailed watches out the same day.

Speaking of which, I gotta go write a thumbs up post regarding him in the Watch Deals forum.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information