Your watch philosophy
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Your watch philosophy

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Your watch philosophy

I have read a few threads in recent days that have made me reflect on what I value, what I look for, what's important and what the purpose of a watch is to me. I want to start by saying, I don't have the exquisite knowledge that many here do, but I am learning from you all. Interestingly, the more I learn, the more I understand what I appreciate, which means that in my endeavours I seem to be moving off on a tangent in some areas of my collection.

Briefly, I got a swatch when I was 7. It was my first "real" watch. I wanted a digital watch like all the kids were getting in the early 80's. It wasn't long before I appreciated my swatch over the robot numbered wrists of all others. This stuck with me right through school, living in a beachside suburb of sydney meant that surfing is a major part of our lives, so I would churn through the swatch scuba's (while mates all sported G-Shocks) all the way till I left Uni and got a "real" job. Then I slipped into the corporate world and fashion watches. I went from the being different and enjoying individuality of the brightest, weirdest swatch I could find to picking a stainless looking fashion watch. My passion got buried, until recently. Strangely enough, it was the HATE of a watch that I was wearing that re-sparked it. 18 months ago I took the family to Fiji for a holiday and wore a timex ironman. Why? Well, I only operate on the work phone, so this was getting switched off for the week, it could handle 2 time zones being digi-analog, its 200m water resistant, so I could swim and snorkel without a problem, indiglo for beside the bed and alarm.

BUT; I hated looking at it, I hated wearing it.

I wondered into the boutique at the resort and spotted the Tag F1's. Wow, 3 things, I was attracted to the brand, the beauty but sportiness, but the pricetag, ouch. The wife spotted me in there, came in, and said, "If you want one, just get it." This simple comment changed my thoughts that watches didn't need to be $200 or less, it was ok to spend a decent amount of money on something that made you happy and would last for a long time (unlike the swatch disposable way which I completely appreciate). But I didn't buy one, why, because almost every second person I work with wears a TAG. Where's the originality, the difference, the statement, the beauty in that.

So simply, I got home and my research started. I allowed myself something "extravagant" and aimed for a limited-edition citizen AT chrono, which didn't come through, so found a citizen signature chrono instead.

The lust started for something, I didn't know what, and after a while, I found it. Omega Seamaster PO 8500. Here's where my philosophy came through.

My wrist is just shy of 7". After reading many posts, I thought the 42 was a done deal, I tried them on and in my eyes I could only take the 45.5. What's worse (for many of you), this is my suit watch! How could you (I hear you scream)!! The proportions seemed to work better to my eye.

I have become fascinated with the craftsmanship of watches, but probably for different reasons then most. I look for something slight different, interesting to the eye. I am going to offend many here, but watches to me are a piece of jewellery, but with great purpose. That purpose might be history, family relevance, craftsmanship, a symbol of passion for fine things, a complete status symbol, or a form of rebellion against materialism (believe it or not) by owning something so small and unique that 1 person may have taken years to create to which no one notices.

My watch philosophy means that I am looking for incredible lines, something that is different to the norm (not your standard diver/dress/aviation/driver),something that will catch people's eye, but they wont know why. (interestingly enough my PO8500 has never gotten a second look from anyone). Things like offerings from MB&F, Uwerk and ressence intrigue me, but the prices are just out of my league.

These are almost a piece of architecture, amazing design with incredible engines under the bonnet. But what has really caught my eye and I tend to gravitate to now are also brilliant looking pieces with (in my mind) decent engines that will last for many years.

The citizen eco-drive eyes:

The Seven Friday

Perrelet turbine:

Don't get me wrong, 1 year later, my PO8500 still feels like I got it yesterday. It was my grail and is a keeper.

I apologise in that I completely appreciate the effort and the beauty of a six figure offering from patek, or Roger W Smith, but they are something that would sit in my watch box, to which I would admire but never wear, not due to cost, but just that there would be something else I would want to.

I want a watch box that people notice, something that is different, something that IS a fashion accessory but with purpose, that has meaning, intrigue.

So that's mine, what's yours.
    bacari, Fi33pop, Shikyo and 3 others like this.

Re: Your watch philosophy

Tastes change considerably over time I find. Currently I'm very fussy and think about buying lots of pieces but there's always something off preventing my doing so (aside from just the price tag). I'd have a hard time naming 10 watches I'd actually enjoy wearing, and when I did it wouldn't be high end stuff (though I tried that urwerk on and it was amazing). Speaking of which do try watches on - it is totally different from looking at pictures and makes or breaks. Also - buy straps. They're fun.
    curious cheese likes this.

Wow!! Allot to think about....My watch philosophy seems to be..."Buy high, sell low".....
    jsw41, mt1tdi, JPfeuffer and 8 others like this.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Seems like your taste is the opposite of what you have now the PO - classic, time-tested look, common, safe. You want unique, flamboyant, arty farty.
    High Q likes this.

Hi Q: Thank you for sharing your philosophies. It was fun to read. Over the years that I have enjoyed watches, I have learned from a couple of friends who are advanced watch enthusiasts, as well as my family, and then from personal tastes. A good rule of thumb that was passed to me is "buy what you like." It does not mean that we have to be brand-specific, although some people are. The watch industry provides so many choices, it's always fun to look, which I will probably always do, sometimes more than others. I like my watches to be around the 40mm size. My wrist is 6-1/2" which is relatively small I presume. Still I have an ORIS Worldtimer that is about 36mm, and I like it. I have a Luminox 44mm, and I like it. One was about $1,300 (pre-owned but I paid to have it serviced), the other about $275 (again pre-owned). Each serves a different purpose for me. Another personal philosophy is that I need to be able to "tell time" when I look at my watch, again each one serves that purpose.... A little history, also. One of the first watches that I obtained on my own was a Timex that I was awarded as a paperboy in the 1970's, and it was virtually indestructible. It lasted over the four years of delivering newspapers on a good-sized route that grew, and through a couple of bicycles, that thing kept on ticking just like the advertisements boasted. Near graduating from high school, my parents asked me what I would like for a graduation gift. It was a Hamilton quartz, and I wore it religiously for several years. In the early 1980's just before heading off to the University of Arizona, I put together enough to purchase a Citizen quartz, gold tone, leather strap, simple design (sticks for hour markers). I loved it and wore it and under shirt sleeves in the professional world, wore off the gold-tome and paid to have it re-plated a couple of times. After going through a couple of other brands (Jaques Prevard, a Weisfield's brand), a few years ago, I began to look into purchasing something in the $1,000 range, and settled on an ORIS Artelier Complication, and still have it. SS with black leather strap and moon dial that I enjoy. I dabbled in a couple of other purchases, and BAM, opened to a whole new world of watches where there are a billion choices. I have learned to appreciate looking, although keeping things within a reasonable budget for a "seasoned" CPA in the professional world. My recent choice was one that I researched, took several weeks to look at, read about, and discuss. It too is an OMEGA, a Speedmaster Racing, with yellow accents and "Speedmaster" in yellow on the black strap. It is a keeper. Although it has been the largest investment in a watch so far, I still find that I enjoy looking and reading about watches. Recently, I purchased the 2013 Annual and it has a lot of good information. Anyway, those are my thoughts this morning.
    High Q likes this.

Pitchforks! Torches!
    Terrific post. It's nice to read a well thought out piece from someone who thinks, among other things at least, watches should look cool.
    I like the Citizen, and the Ressence Type 3 has got to be the absolute drop-dead coolest-looking watch I've ever seen. Total grail.
    I don't think you give Swatches enough credit though. They are innovative, creative, and a helluva lot of FUN.
    Thanks for taking the time to post.
    High Q likes this.

Interesting thoughts, OP.

Unlike you, I don't really want too much attention for my watches. I'm quite content with them flying under the radar. For this reason, I would never wear an Urwerk or MB&F. (Affording one is another thing, though....)

My watch philosophy? I like:

Value for money, under-rated, 'under-dog' brands. I usually distrust the market leader. I guess that just reflects my view on business in general, not just watches.

History and provenance; I like the Royal Oak, not least because it was a game-changer for AP in 1972. I like the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms as it was, to me, the archetype of the modern dive watch when it was introduced in 1953.

Not too many complications. And what complications there are, have to be useful to me. Time-only is good enough.
    Last edited by sheon; October 19th, 2013 at 05:03.
    'I reach for my watch from the bedside table and consider the dial - its rectitude, its innocence - then I understand the position of the hands and that, yes, rush-hour traffic will already have begun.' - Deborah Eisenberg, The Flaw in the Design

Thanks for sharing. Very interesting and well thought out philosophy. Reminds me a little of our buddy Gary123. For me, after following rule #1 - "Buy what you like", the sky is the limit. As Geoff said, likes, and thus, philosophies change over time. I started off in a full acquisition mode over 20 years ago where I simply would buy the first thing I saw that I liked; which is why I guess I have over 80 watches. Then when it hit me that I simply like 'watches', my philosophy turned to buying one watch from different brands - my favorite watch in that brand. Today, my focus is on slowing down and purchasing higher quality pieces without grabbing every watch I see that I like because that would be overwhelming.
    John MS likes this.
    Rolex Submariner
    Zenith Chronomaster XT Open El Primero

Omega Seamaster James Bond 007 Limited Edition
    Kobold Comanche
    Helson Sharkmaster
    Sinn U1
    Alpina Extreme Diver

Maurice Lacroix Miros
    Ball B&O First Mile

Edox Classe Royale Open Heart Automatic
    Shinola Brakeman 46

Luminox 3000 Navy Seal Diver
    Hamilton Khaki Navy Sub
    Seiko Black Monster
    Citizen Ecozilla
    Deep Blue Sunray Diver 1k
    and various other makes and models

What a simply fantastic thought provoking thread!

I've been spending alot of time, money and mistakes coming to my own philosophy. It's especially hard to do that here where WUS peer pressure is very strong... there seems to be a group philosophy that has distilled down from the most vocal of opinions here. Simple and clean is best. Not too big. Resale value is important. In-house movements are better, Omega Speedmaster... Rolex Sub... etc.

I think I've finally found my philosophy:

1. Simple and clean is boring. I like complex and clean.
    2. In-house movements are interesting when they bring something to the table. Otherwise give me Miyota, Sellita, or ETA and I'm a happy camper. I will have 3 in-house movements in my collection, all of which bring something interesting to my collection.
    3. Re-sale doesn't matter to me... I want watches I never want to sell. I do like to have 3-4 slots in my collection that are relatively affordable and roll over, but I'm willing to lose some money there in the name of variety.
    4. Watches sing regardless of brand-name. I will try my damndest to make decisions based on the watch and not the brand. It's hard sometimes... but in the end I think I stay true to myself.
    5. There are no rules.
    High Q, bacari, Perdendosi and 1 others like this.

Collection:
    RGM 801A - Montblanc Twinfly Flyback Chronograph -
    Omega AquaTerra GMT - 1972 Heuer Autavia Viceroy - Ball Engineer Master II Diver World Time
    JeanRichard Terrascope - Longines Legend Diver(Date) - Luminox 6250 - Hamilton Intra-Matic(42mm) - Magrette Moana Pacific Professional - Oris XXL Pointer Day

Intagram: @dobowatches

Great thread. I really like a balanced and symmetrical watch. Even a date window can throw it out for me sometimes. Looking at my three largest investments you can clearly see this trend. Interestingly it didn't register with me until quite recently what was drawing me to these watches. I knew I liked them, but not why.

Not all my watches are this balanced, but these are my favourite deigns and the watches I was drawn to by the styling.
    bacari likes this.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Rolex Oyster Perpetual 116000
    1965 Accurist Shockmaster
    1961 Gold Accurist Shockmaster
    Seiko SSC021P1
    Omega Speedmaster Professional 3570.50.00

Meistersinger Perigraph AM1002
    G-Shock GW3000B-1A

Rolex Submariner 14060M
    Ben Sherman S489.OOBS
    1990 Rotary Gold Case