Which of your watches means the most to you and why?
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Which of your watches means the most to you and why?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Banned

Which of your watches means the most to you and why?

Not necessarily the rarest or most expensive, but which of your watches is the most valuable to you personally? Since I'm posting the thread, I guess I'll go first. My father purchased a Datejust while visiting Switzerland almost 40 years ago. He wore the watch pretty much 24/7 until a few years ago and recently gifted it to me with an engraving on the back. Every single experience, memory, and picture in my lifetime growing up my father was wearing the watch, so it is certainly my most prized possession I own. I can honestly say if someone offered me 100k for the watch I would without a doubt turn them down. Let's here some of your stories about the watch that means most to you
    matt999 and Synequano like this.

Re: Which of your watches means the most to you and why?

My IWC Portugieser chrono; it is a watch I wanted for a long time, and I bought it to celebrate the birth of my son. It will be his in the future if he wants it.

None,I have no material possessions in my life that I hold dearly.While they do represent thousands of hours of back breaking labor to obtain they are too easily gone...
    matt999 and chuasam like this.
    My Grail: Blancpain "Fifty Fathoms Barakuda"

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It's a Datejust for me also. My dad died in late February and I flew out to be with my stepmom. A short while after I arrived, she presented me with the Rolex box and told me my dad would have wanted me to have it. He lived 2000 miles away but I would spend a week at their place every year and I always remember him wearing the watch. It's got scratches all over that will never be polished away but the crystal is perfect. Now I often look at the pics on my phone from the last half-dozen years or so and there is the watch on his wrist in every single one - in the pool, at the restaurant, walking on a trail, etc. For now, I have a hard time wearing any of my other watches. It's actually my only possession to which I have any sentimental attachment
    Attached Images Attached Images

Olde answer, my Lucien Piccard, history, first major event I recall - 'Cuban Missile Crisis'.

Wearing it now.

My Seadweller. It has been around the world, in two delivery rooms, an epic 1999 new years eve party, thousands of rounds on the range, surfing, paddling... and was recently restored by LA Watchworks. Ready for another 20, and it will be my son's watch when he graduates college.

I added a red hand at service, but decided to remove it after living with it for awhile. Its back to original spec now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Breguet Type XX, IWC Aquatimer Chronograph "Jacques Yves Cousteau", IWC Portuguese 7-Day Automatic, JLC Deep Sea Cermet, JLC Tribute to Polaris 1965, Omega Speedmaster Professional, Panerai 233 "Dot", Panerai 439 Oro Rosso, Patek Philippe 5130 World Time, Rolex Datejust, Rolex Seadweller, Vacheron Constantin Overseas Chronograph, Vacheron Constantin Overseas World Time. Vacheron Constantin Patrimony Traditionnelle Chronograph.

IG: bvllitt

This Tissot, given to me by my grandfather and it was the watch that really got me into watches

My avatar picture, SRP023, because it was a surprise birthday gift from my partner, after I looked at the watch with her and showed delight (at the iridescent chapter ring, and sparkly/patterned/color-changing dial) when I looked at the watch but didn't buy it for myself. It represents her love for me. The watch's look is not my favorite (don't like dress watch), it's not my favorite watch to wear (don't like leather strap), it doesn't get most wrist time (kinetics get most wrist time), but the surprise-gift-from-my-partner-I-see-as-symbol-of-love-of-a-watch-that-I-wouldn't-buy-for-myself thing makes it the watch that means the most to me.

That gave food for thought!

I suppose it’s my father’s old Longines pocket watch. Already approaching twenty years old when he received it as a graduation present, he wore it exclusively for five decades before he retired it in favour of some nondescript wristwatch. He gave it to me maybe twenty five years ago and more recently I’ve had it serviced at the factory.

The there’s the Moze which my grandfather will have collected and which I value for its craftmanship and great age. When it came into my possession a couple of years ago it will probably not have run for longer than my father’s Longines has existed. I’ve had it restored and now it runs like a train, accurate to within a minute a day which I’m told is remarkable for a verge fusče movement approaching its 300th birthday.

As for the modern pieces which I’ve bought myself, some are more expensive than others and some are more attractive than others but I’d be hard pushed to say which is the more meaningful.
    The_Vat likes this.
    G550 (retd.)

Easy choice. I'm a diver and always wanted a Doxa like my hero Dirk Pitt after starting to read Cussler in middle school. My wife hinted while we were dating that I really shouldn't buy the watch myself and sure enough, she got me a 1200T as a wedding present. She even made an account here and posted questions about them hoping I'd answer so she'd buy the right one.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk
    obomomomo likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information