Is ZENITH the Alfa Romeo/Renault of watches? - Page 2
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Is ZENITH the Alfa Romeo/Renault of watches?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Is ZENITH the Alfa Romeo/Renault of watches?

As far as I can tell (from observation of the forums), Zenith is a very reliable maker. Assuming they haven't been asleep at the wheel, making one series of movements like the El Primero for so long would naturally weed out trouble spots. High beat watches do not break more often assuming the maintenance schedule is followed reasonably well...they tend to take one year off of the maintenance interval, but other than that, no issue. Even then, there is at least one maker that has the ordinary service schedule for their high beat watch (although it's not Zenith).

Quote Originally Posted by Perseus View Post
    I'm not a Zenith expert by any stretch, but I do spend way too much time on the forum and I haven't seen many complaints or problems with their watches.
    I agree, this thread is the first time I've heard of these problems. A Zenith should be a safe buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Perseus View Post
    I'm not a Zenith expert by any stretch, but I do spend way too much time on the forum and I haven't seen many complaints or problems with their watches.
    I'm more concerned with the CS than anything else... things happen... I would like to see that they get handled as well as the experiences I've had with Bremont and Montblanc.

PS Hey you sold your Pan Europe finally I see it has disappeared from your sig. Congrats:)

Collection:
    RGM 801A - Montblanc Twinfly Flyback Chronograph -
    Omega AquaTerra GMT - 1972 Heuer Autavia Viceroy - Ball Engineer Master II Diver World Time
    JeanRichard Terrascope - Longines Legend Diver(Date) - Luminox 6250 - Hamilton Intra-Matic(42mm) - Magrette Moana Pacific Professional - Oris XXL Pointer Day

Intagram: @dobowatches

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have never heard of reliability problems with Zenith; however, having seen the Striking Tenth in an AD, I must say it is BIGger than I'd thought it would be. The chrono seconds hand is quite fun to play with tho :D

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Jones Jnr View Post
    On a side note it seems that the antipodeans have a much higher opinion of Renault than we do in the UK.
    Don't you think a bunch of late 50's modern artists would be a little old for wasting their precious remaining time on the internet?

Nomos Zürich Weltzeit • Omega Speedmaster Pro • Sinn UX

Is ZENITH the Alfa Romeo/Renault of watches?

I understand the analogy but if it is meant to imply that Zenith watches have certain stylistic flair but are plagued with a lack of reliability, I haven't heard of it until now.

On the other hand, i could look at Zenith as sort of the 'alternative' choice in your analogy. Mercedes, BMW, for example could be likened as the safe mainstream choices like Rolex and Omega. And Zenith like Alfa is a little more offbeat with a little more flair that attracts primarily aficionados not status seekers - yeah, I can see what you mean.
    Last edited by akit110; January 9th, 2013 at 02:10.
    Now: Rolex Explorer II ref. 1655, ca. 1971, Rolex Milgauss (black) ca. 2008, IWC GST Aquatimer (titanium) ref. 3536, ca. 1999, Omega dress watch (601 movement, 1960s, bought in 1966)
    Gone baby gone: Rolex Submariner ref. 5512, Rolex Submariner ref. 5513, Rolex GMT Master, Rolex Datejust, Rolex Air King (1st 'nice' watch), Hamilton Tank (10K vintage), IWC Mark XII ca. 1998,
    IWC Compass Watch ca. 1980 ref. 3510, JLC Memovox (ca. 1965), Omega Moonwatch (30th anniversary), Omega Seamaster (552 movement, 1960s), Omega Seamaster Multifunction, Seiko Marinemaster 300m ref SBDX001 (2007), UTS 500m (platinum dial)

I would compare Zenith to Audi rather than Alfa. People classify Rolex(Mercedes) and Omega(BMW) as the good n mainstream brands but under-rate Zenith(Audi) probably because they don't market as aggressively.

As far as I know after being on the forum for almost a year, I haven't heard any complains regarding a Zenith thus far.

Thank you all for your input. Although I am encouraged by what I am hearing, here I will adress some of your replies.

Quote Originally Posted by dacattoo View Post
    It doesn't appear you own a 36000 frequency watch. You should be aware that the reason all watches don't beat at this freq is there is a trade off. The trade off is that parts wear out faster. That is supposedly the problem but I think it is somewhat overblown. Watches that run fast have greater wear. Having said that, the watch doesn't actually run any faster, just the balance wheel. Repair intervals are pretty much the same as most watches, costs are a little higher, similar to Rolex et al. The appearance of the second hand, like Rollies, is a big attraction. The movement has been around for a long time, over 40 years, and used in Rolexes for awhile.
    Thanks dacattoo, but my concerns aren't about whether the watch plays up in two, five or ten years down the track. For a watch this complex and at this price, I would follow the manufacturer's servicing requirements religiously. If the watch had issues two or three years down the track, I could accept that. What I am concerned about is reflected, for example in some of the links I have provided below such as movement problems and dial finishing amongst other things which would be discovered immediately or not long after acquiring the watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Panerai View Post
    I agree, this thread is the first time I've heard of these problems. A Zenith should be a safe buy.
    Quote Originally Posted by eliz View Post
    I would compare Zenith to Audi rather than Alfa. People classify Rolex(Mercedes) and Omega(BMW) as the good n mainstream brands but under-rate Zenith(Audi) probably because they don't market as aggressively.

As far as I know after being on the forum for almost a year, I haven't heard any complains regarding a Zenith thus far.
    See below:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f27/rep...no-796547.html

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f71/zen...cs-772368.html

Check corrado's posts:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f27/wha...615220-27.html

cheers, Mike
    Chronographe Suisse 18k Rose gold, Citizen NH6934-08FB "Autozilla"SOLD, JaegerLeCoultre Master Calendar, Omega: WWII 30T2, Constellation "C" 168.0019SSOLD, Speedmaster "Mark4.5" 176.0012SOLD, Rolex Submariner 16610 STOLEN serial Y862966, Seiko: 6138-0011 "UFO" Speedtimer, 6138-0040 "Bullhead" Speedtimer, 7016-5001 "Monaco", SKX007J Diver 200m, SAEH007 Ananta Chronograph, SBBN013 "Darth Tuna" Marinemaster,SBBN015 Tuna, Steinhart Racetimer brownSOLD, Titoni: Cosmo King Day/date, Airmaster
    Grail: Mint, unpolished Seiko 6138-0040 "Bullhead" Speedtimer 5 Sport UNDER CONSTRUCTION!!
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f21/gra...ad-944573.html

Watches............the only place where COMPLICATIONS are a GOOD THING!!

Lol, my dad is an Alfisti. I can't tell you how many times he has broken down in his Milano. Those cars are straight up money pits. Cool, and fun to drive but so are lots of other cars.

I dont know anything about Zenith, I just wanted to chime in about the Alfas.
    complicated_ likes this.

Zenith a Schlockmobile, I don't think so.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information