Zenith El Primero Grande Date vs Glashutte Original PanoMaticLunar

5K views 24 replies 20 participants last post by  Alex_TA 
#1 ·
I am torn between these two watches...

Glashutte:
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory

Zenith:
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

I like the two-tone gold/steel, both are around the same price mark but GO only steel versions are available.

Zenith works out at $10500 and GO at $9200 (UK rates converted, I am sure US prices are cheaper).

My biggest worry is the Zenith looses value quite heavily and be a nightmare if I ever had to sell it... I am not sure if GO is any better in that respect.

I love the Zenith dial and GO's movement/caseback is just amazing. If I had the cash, I would buy both but only one can prevail.

Just wondering what you guys think... what would you choose, bearing in mind - I intend to sell/trade after a while.

See less See more
#2 ·
They are both not going to hold its value very well. Maybe look for preowned which I believe is not easy to find. I've handled the GO and I'm impressed by the quality and the look of the movement but I haven't seen the zenith in person. I think both look great and I'm leaning more towards the GO

#4 ·
I think the GO might be easier to sell in the future if you decided to get rid of it. Most people don't like two tone watches. Best you can do is take your time and wait for a preowned to surface as these are not common watches

#9 ·
Both are beautiful watches. Both wear rather large. In my experience - on the wrist - Zenith looks better and the open-heart can be very very attractive in person. I've met few people with Zenith Chronomaster open at various watch events, and every single time - the watch catches your eye and looks stunning (especially if your wrist is big enough to pull it off)
Open heart is not for everybody though. Try it on in person to compare fairly.

PS. Although you are correct that Zenith price may drop after purchase, I propose that it's crazy to pay MSRP. Once AD discounted price (or even GM price) is used - Zenith has some of the best watches for $ in this quality range.

Reactions: logix88
#10 ·
you said you prefer the dial of the zenith.... to me that would answer that question because you spend a lot more time looking at the front of the watch then the back of the watch. I wouldn't buy a watch just because I like the movement. To me being able to see the beautiful movement is an added bonus but is not the main attraction. I have owned a few Zenith open models and I love seeing the beating heart. I have also owned a couple GO's and they are phenomenal watches. Best of luck with your decision and let us know what you end up with!

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

#13 ·
On the grey market, that Zenith is about $7500 and the GO is about $8500. After it graces your wrist, the Zenith will lose 30% of its value and the GO about 25%, from my empirical studies.
I have a Chronomaster with the open heart and it is a really cool watch - and a bit flashy. Not sure if you have a purpose/place for this watch, but the Zenith fits a narrow slot.

#15 ·
If it were me I would go for the GO but mostly because I am not into the two tones. I say now that I also do not think much about the resale - but right now and with my current selection, so it is hard for me to relate on that end. Hopefully, once you make your decision you will not regret it! Good luck. But I second those that say go for the GO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#17 ·
I faced almost the same dilemma 3 weeks ago. It was between that exact GO and an 18k rose gold Zenith Chronomaster El Primero. I chose the Zenith because it is 12.7 mm high with a 42mm case and the GO was 12.7 mm high and a 40mm case. To me that was way too thick for such an elegant design and a 40 mm case. The 42 mm case plus the pushers and crown on the Zenith make it look more proportional than the GO. I am so glad I went with the Zenith!

#21 ·
Generally, I would say Zenith, but I prefer the appearance of this Glashutte Original, so go for GO!

#23 ·
Thanks all... GO is certainly more popular, more votes than the Zenith.

As far as I can tell, Zenith's negatives: Two-tone, Open heart, 45mm case, depreciation typically higher.

For GO's negatives: depreciation likely if purchased new

Zenith positives: Two-tone, Open heart, 45mm case (Yes - these are all funnily the things that attracted the most to me).

GO's positives: Classy looks, great movement/decoration, desirable watch (easier to resale than Zenith).

I think the open heart in this particular Zenith is stunning in person... as Tim Mosso put it in one of his videos: "90% of the visual effect of a Tourbillon at 10% the cost".

I like a hint of precious metal, I think it's better look than all-steel or all-gold. The second Zenith I had in mind was below:

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

This dials down the two-tone a fair bit and the brown dial with gold accents is just amazing combo.

All said, I think if I can get a used GO - I will go for it, if I have to buy new then I think I will go with the Zenith.

#25 ·
As far as I can tell, Zenith's negatives: Two-tone, Open heart, 45mm case, depreciation typically higher.

For GO's negatives: depreciation likely if purchased new
Sorry but most answers on resale value come from people that have never tried to sell any of these watches, pure theorizing at its bests.

I personally sold Zenith watch which was bought new and lost 35%, which is not bad relative to other brands. You should search for at least 20% discount from MSRP when you buy new.
But I am talking about popular Zenith models like 1969 or Pilot. The watch in question will not do well in resale because of Open Heart and especially bi-metal.

Now, nobody out of WIS community does not know what GO is. It's the absolute dog in resale.

Concluding point: both watches will not hold the value, so think hard, buy it for life and search for a healthy discount.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.