Zenith gonna be BIG
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Zenith gonna be BIG

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown, Ireland & Almancil/Vale do Lobo/Quinta do Lago Council, Portugal

Zenith gonna be BIG

With LVMH targetting the youth with Tag and Hublot also having a different focus, that leaves Zenith to carry the torch as their more 'classic', premium watchmaker. My prediction is that over the next decade we're going to see a shift to get Zenith to capture would-be Rolex and Omega owners.

SJX: When we spoke in the past you always had a well-defined strategy for the brands you turned around – Hublot then TAG Heuer – so what is your approach to Zenith?
    Jean-Claude Biver (JCB): Very easy. Extremely easy. [laughs]
    The three brands I manage can each be summed up – concept, strategy, philosophy – in just one line. If you cannot define a brand in three seconds, then the brand doesn’t know what it is doing. Hublot is inaccessible, disruptive luxury in watches. You can also call it fusion. TAG Heuer is the avant-garde, accessible luxury. It’s clear for Hublot, clear for TAG Heuer. So what is it for Zenith?
    Zenith is the future of tradition. Not just new technology. Tradition has the right to develop itself into the future. Why should you just repeat tradition? I want to go a step further with Zenith. So if Zenith makes a connected watch – is that the future of tradition? No! It is just the future. But if Zenith makes a 1/100th of a second chronograph – that is the future of tradition.

Interview: Jean-Claude Biver on Rebooting Zenith and the El Primero | SJX Watches

Don't bet against a 'Biver'!
    Fantasio likes this.
    Instagram https://www.instagram.com/paulo_8135

* Casio G-Shock GMW-B5000D
    * Casio Oceanus
    * Omega Constellation Gold
    * Omega Gold
    * Rotary Silver
    * Seiko Premier
    * Tag Heuer Aquaracer blue

Moderator Public Forum soaking.fused's Avatar

Zenith gonna be BIG

This is an interesting read about one of my favorite brands.
    Last edited by soaking.fused; November 16th, 2017 at 18:10.
    TJ Boogie likes this.

Re: Zenith gonna be BIG

Zeniths designs and innovation the past few years have all been hits (in my book). If they clean out some of the gaudy old stuff and stay with their current trend, I think you're right. I tried on the Elite chronograph and the Heritage 146 chronos last week and liked them both quite a bit. If they can shrink some of the pilot and big watches down a couple millimeters, I'd be into those, as well.
    Tick-tock in RoK GMT+9, no DST
    --
    Not Seiko: Parmigiania Tonda 1950, Zenith El Primero Chronomaster, Piaget Upstream, Muhle Glashutte Seebataillon GMT, Eterna Madison Spherodrive, Vulcain Cricket 1951 Classic, Bell & Ross Space 3 GMT, Bulova Accutron Astronaut (c. 1966), Omega Speedmaster triple date, Sinn 556 Anniversary LE, IWC Cal. 89 (c. 1957), Glycine Airman SST-12, Pulsar Date II (c. 1971), Scurfa Diver One, G-Shock Rangeman 9400, Vostok Classica
    Seiko: Grand Seiko SBGT035, Credor Node GCAT996, Grand Seiko 5641-7000 (1972), "Ashtray Tuna" 7C46-6009 (1987), 6139-7069 "Blue Eye" chrono (1974), Bell-Matic 4006-7012 (1971), King Quartz 9223-5000 (1981), Seikomatic J13044 (1963), 6119-6400 UFO (1974), King Quartz 5855-5000 (1977), Silverwave 8221-5020 (1980), Majesta 9063-5020 (1984), SKX399K "Philippines"

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

When I think Zenith, I think old black and white television sets and AM radios.
    Never try to install spring bars in a hurry. -lvt

"Affordable" just means you end up spending the same amount of money, but end up with a greater number of watches. -MandoBear

I love their new high beat movement. Can’t wait until it’s in more watches at different prices, and not limited editions.
    Black5 likes this.

The Defy Lab Oscillator blows my mind but the El Primero Original 1969 in 38 mm makes me moist.
    Alex_TA and georgegervin44 like this.
    Wear that which you feel is groovy, get down with your bad self, and shake your money maker if it makes sense for you to do so.

It's pretty hard. Feels like a marketing guy like JCB doesn't have all that much to play with - unlike the other two brands, which are, or can be made playful and 'mainstream', you can't really do that with Zenith, especially after the Nataf era, that is still fresh in everyone's minds. He basically says they only have technological excellence, and this is where he'd push it? But how many watches in that segment sell based on their movement? I'd wager not that many. I'd like to see the sales numbers of Speedy vs El Primero models, - something tells me there's probably a ten-fold difference, if not more. They'd need some massive push to get ahead there.

That said... the Defy Oscillator already has a non-classical, almost hublotesque aesthetic (brr). So maybe he's taking things in that direction?
    "My complication had a little complication." (c)

Quote Originally Posted by MisterV View Post
    That said... the Defy Oscillator already has a non-classical, almost hublotesque aesthetic (brr). So maybe he's taking things in that direction?
    Of course he is taking things in that direction, just like he did with TAG Heuer. When JCB takes control of a brand, the next Baselworld novelty for that brand has some 90% chance to have a Hublotesque case design, and more or less the same chance of being unnecessarily big and having a skeletonized dial.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Zenith is a real Watch Enthusiast’s brand.

Zenith needs to work on its marketing in order to make it better known amongst non-WIS’.
    Dan.
    A. Lange & Sohne 1815 Up/Down
    H. Moser & Cie Pioneer Centre Seconds
    Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso Tribute Small Seconds
    Officine Panerai Radiomir PAM 720
    Rolex Submariner 114060 (No Date)
    Cartier Santos WSSA0010
    Apple Watch Series 4 Nike+
    Seiko SKX007
    Seiko SKX009
    Casio G-Shock Rangeman GW-9400-1
    Casio G-Shock GA-700
    Casio G-Shock DW-5600E
    And others (not really worth mentioning)

Moderator Public Forum soaking.fused's Avatar

Zenith gonna be BIG

Quote Originally Posted by Minorcollector View Post
    When I think Zenith, I think old black and white television sets and AM radios.
    When I think of Zenith, I think of my knowledge of timepieces and my first foray into horology; and one of the first things that I learned and "knew" from reading way back when was that THE Daytona to own and buy was the one with the Zenith movement. Even though -- and at the time -- I was A. Not in the market for a Daytona and B. Not looking seriously at a Zenith, I knew and remembered that. And also, that the Rainbow Flyback model seemed to stand out in my research of Chronos.

All these years later, when I think about Zenith, I think of "Pilot" and "Hi-Beat".

Your observation is interesting, nonetheless!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information