WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Zeno Watch - Movement Miyota OS10 - Quality ?

58K views 24 replies 21 participants last post by  J.D.B. 
#1 ·
Hi !

I just got my new Zeno Watch. Since Zeno is known as a good brand, the price was really low and the Zeno certified that the watch is even authentic, i paid the price (150 Euro)

Now i am sitting here with the watch and discovered that the movement is not made in Swiss. It is an Miyota OS10 movement that is obviously used in many other low-end brands. -What the heck? I never expected Zeno to build in Asia Movements. I am pretty disappointed. <| :rodekaart

What kind of movement is this Miyota OS10? Is it reliable? How much would you pay for such a movement.

#3 ·
xsenon said:
Hi !

I just got my new Zeno Watch. Since Zeno is known as a good brand, the price was really low and the Zeno certified that the watch is even authentic, i paid the price (150 Euro)

Now i am sitting here with the watch and discovered that the movement is not made in Swiss. It is an Miyota OS10 movement that is obviously used in many other low-end brands. -What the heck? I never expected Zeno to build in Asia Movements. I am pretty disappointed. <| :rodekaart

What kind of movement is this Miyota OS10? Is it reliable? How much would you pay for such a movement.
I wouldn't worry one bit about the Miyota OS 10. Citizen has been using them for years. Its a proven reliable movement. I bought a Zeno with the same movement recently and even though the case was likely made in China it was a well designed watch still a heck of a good buy for the money. I believe the ads for the lower end Zeno's specify the OS10 movement. I checked and when I found out it was the Citizen/Miyota I was quite happy. I have had a couple of these movements before and have had no problems.

#5 · (Edited)
Just some comments, for those that are confused by the company names, Miyota is a subsidiary company of Citizen and is the only source for Citizen movements for other manufacturers as far as i know. So they supply (selected, even some mechanical) citizen movements to others, mainly export.
Zeno makes use of several of their quarz movements, i've seen OS 10, OS 20 and FS 00, mostly used for special models on demand of clients. They are (a little) cheaper and offer different functions than swiss made quarz movements for example Ronda or ETA, ISA is also a swiss company that produces those movements but in most cases they are not swiss made, ISA is owned by an asian company and the production is outsourced to Asia.

#6 ·
Hi !

OS10 from Otto Frei is $24.50 + shipping

KRW

#11 ·
I have a Citizen branded watch with the OS10 movement for which I paid around $55. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the most common quartz chronograph movement around. The hands don't do the "ballet" that you see on higher end movements; they just "pop" back when you reset, but it's simpler and seems to get the job done.

#12 ·
also, there is zeno, then there is zeno basel. zeno basel uses swiss movements while zeno doesn't. I have the os10 in a 200m zeno. it works well. the build quality of the watch is not near as good as there swiss arm zeno watch basel.

#13 ·
Hi Xsenon,
Thanks for a post I found interesting as I recently bought a secondhand Aeromatic five hand chrono on eBay because it looked interesting and because I got it for GBP20. It was described as hand wound. When it came the crown was pulled out so I pushed to the first position and wound it (hmm - no resistance?), set the time and screwed down the crown.
Lo, the small second hand moved in one second increments. I took the back off and found a quartz movement labelled Miyota OS11 no jewels Japan.
Since then over 3 months it has been accurate to better than +2 sec per month. I did manage to misalign the sweep second hand by pressing the wrong button but the instructions for correcting this are on the Miyota website.
I think so far it's fine. With a heavy fine link bracelet it's a bit in your face but fun to wear for travelling because it makes airline cabin crew look twice and at what I paid, it's expendable.
lie back and enjoy!

#16 ·
Zeno is asian brand, where ZENO BASEL is SWISS. They are completely different watches. ZENO BASEL is Swiss and independently/family owned company. They use ETA movements and their built quality is on a par with Fortis, ESQ, and other brands in sub-1K category. I cannot speak of Zeno as I never owned that watch, but you generally get what you paid for in terms of movements. It is reasonable to assume a lower priced watch will use a lower grade asian movement, not ETA or Vajioux. Hope this helps. Dan

#18 ·
Actually Zeno is a registered trademark of the same company as Zeno Watch Basel, so authentic watches are presumably available with that name on them.

There are plenty of fakes around though that incorporate "Zeno" into their names and it's well worth a look at Zeno's website to get the low down and you can check them out on this page. ...... http://www.zeno-watch.ch/en/watches.html :think:

I'd also point out that "Asian Movements" are not necessarily "Lower Grade" than ETA. ;-)

#21 ·
Miyota makes excellent movements.

The OS10 is a low-end, "NO JEWEL" movement, cheap and reliable.

As it has no jewel, some gears are made from plastic to reduce noise and friction (plastic parts don't need to be lubricated).

The movement is considered "serviceable", but who would service a no jewel movement ? You could just replace it with a new one.

#23 ·
The OS10 is a low-end, "NO JEWEL" movement, cheap and reliable.

As it has no jewel, some gears are made from plastic to reduce noise and friction (plastic parts don't need to be lubricated).

The movement is considered "serviceable", but who would service a no jewel movement ? You could just replace it with a new one.
"Jewels" in watches are usually just cheap lab-grown rocks. It's definitely a benefit to have an inexpensive toss and replace movement.

#22 ·
Funny how this thread sort of refuses to die. I have four watches which use this movement...three are Casio EF-503, and one is a Timex chronograph which I purchased in 2000, so now almost 18 years old. The only service required has been battery changes...the Timex is still accurate and all functions work properly...so no need to worry.