Zodiac Oceanaire is leaking oil?

Thread: Zodiac Oceanaire is leaking oil?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Zodiac Oceanaire is leaking oil?

I have a strange problem with my Zodiac Oceanaire. I have owned the watch for just under a year now and just noticed something on the inside of the dial. It looks as if some sort of oil has leaked out from below the dial. Has any one ever seem this happen before. The watch was a refurbished model I purchased from a Fossil outlet store. It's still under warranty. Do you think this is serious and should be sent in to Metro watch for repair, or can I take it to a local watch shop and have the dial cleaned? Here are some pics.

http://arkfilms.com
    Contact us with your video production needs.
    Mike Gunther
    Sales Manager
    [email protected]

Re: Zodiac Oceanaire is leaking oil?

Do you live in a warm climate?

This has happened to one or two of my watches. Likely it is just condensation from the oils within the movement of the watch.

If the watch is under warranty it might be worth shipping off, just to check to make sure the rest of the watch is still water-resistant. Otherwise, a watchmaker should be able to open it up and clean the dial with little difficulty. Make sure you pressure test it after the watchmaker cleans it up.
    I Am Jack's Colon

I'd definitely send it back while it's still under warranty. Nice watch by the way, I had one once.

Sodiac
    Too many watches, only two wrists and never enough time...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Sodiac View Post
    I'd definitely send it back while it's still under warranty. Nice watch by the way, I had one once.
    I second that.

VIEW MY SALES FEEDBACK>>>>HERE

/¯¯l¯¯¯l¯¯[_\__\]
    l¯¯ l¯¯¯l¯¯¯L-_O|||||||O_
    ¯()_)¯¯¯¯¯¯()_)¯¯¯¯¯()_)

from the photos it's hard to tell. any chance it's condensation? have a reputable watchman look at it.

I live in San Diego so it's not very hot here. I would think if it was condensation that I would have noticed some sort of foggyness in there before, but anything is possible. What part of the movement has this much oil to leak? It definitely came out of the center of the dial where the post holding the hands comes through. I am going to send it in for service. I just hope it isn't there forever.

Mike Gunther
    Sales Manager
    [email protected]

It must be one of those BP watches.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bajamike View Post
    What part of the movement has this much oil to leak?
    Properly oiled and assembled: none. Jewel bearings have minuscule amounts of oil in them, mainspring barrel could have some more but that's usually a bit thicker and doesn't move about. It looks like someone has overdone it while oiling the cannon pinion and/or hour wheel, I bet during refurbishment. Not good. If there's enough to leak on the dial, there's enough to leak into the movement and pollute bearings or parts of the escapement.

my thoughts exactly. This was probably done during referb. Thats a lot of oil, they definately messed up.
    Quote Originally Posted by horrovac View Post
    Properly oiled and assembled: none. Jewel bearings have minuscule amounts of oil in them, mainspring barrel could have some more but that's usually a bit thicker and doesn't move about. It looks like someone has overdone it while oiling the cannon pinion and/or hour wheel, I bet during refurbishment. Not good. If there's enough to leak on the dial, there's enough to leak into the movement and pollute bearings or parts of the escapement.

Do you think it's something they will take the time to repair, or is it time for a new watch? I really like this particular model of the Oceanaire but it's discontinued. It looks like they have some newer versions of the Oceanaire but I don't really care for them. If I had to chose any I think I would take this one.
    Name:  ZO8008_main.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  18.3 KB

Mike Gunther
    Sales Manager
    [email protected]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information