~$150 Everyday Watch
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: ~$150 Everyday Watch

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

~$150 Everyday Watch

Hey all, new here and I don't know much about watches, honestly. Excuse my slang..
    But like every somewhat major purchase, I like to do a good bit of research so that I make a solid purchase and won't look back with regret.

I'm 22, graduating college in May in business and am looking for a classy, everyday watch that will last me years and
    -Go with a suit and reasonably casual clothes
    -Somewhat subtle, but noticeable in that it's a nice looking watch.
    -I have a very slim wrist
    -Nothing in-your-face, giant faces, etc..

I like stainless, preferably with a touch of gold. This is a birthday present, and the budget is $150. If I absolutely fall in love with one, it can exceed $150. Really trying to stay within budget though.

Narrowed it down to this to give you an idea of what I like. Don't be scared by the Kohls links, all watches are Seiko or Citizen. Does this style watch match what I'm looking for?

I LOVE the way this looks, my favorite hands down. I would be willing to exceed the $150 budget. My only concern is it it too big for an everyday watch? 43 mm case, 22mm band.

Citizen Two Tone Stainless Steel Chronograph Watch - AN3544-58A - Men

These are the other ones I'm debating between..

Citizen Men's BM8224-51E Eco-Drive Two-Tone Stainless Steel Watch: Watches: Amazon.com

Seiko Watch - Men's Solar Two Tone Stainless Steel - SNE047

Seiko Two Tone Stainless Steel Chronograph Watch - SNDF04 - Men

Seiko Two Tone Stainless Steel Watch - SGEG88 - Men

Seiko Solar Two Tone Stainless Steel Watch - SNE242 - Men

Re: ~$150 Everyday Watch

I'm 22 as well. 43mm for the case and 22mm for the band are definitely on the larger side. I'd suggest going with an Eco-Drive Citizen over a battery powered one; not having to replace the batteries is pretty nice in the long run. I'd recommend you also look at the Bulova Precisionist line, accurate to within 15 seconds per year. Most of the styles are meh, but there might be one or two that you like.

Here are a couple of suggestions from Tissot; number 1 and 2 of the attached screen shot would match your requirement. If you need to wear the watch with a suit, I think a 3-hand watch looks better; a chronograph looks a bit too sporty...

Sorry for not paying any link, but u could not find out how to copy from the Amazon app.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    Attached Images Attached Images

My modest collection:
    Omega: 231.10.42.21.06.001
    , 2503.30, 2531.80, 3590.50, 2234.50, 3290.50, 2221.80
    Tissot: Le Locle , Tissot PRS516 Automatic, Tissot PRS516 Chrono Quartz, Tissot T-Touch
    Archer Aero II, Bulova precisionist, Duke mechancial, Scurfa Diver One

"If you know what you're doing... It's not research..."

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The precisionists are huge, but that is a great suggestion. I've never owned one, but you can probably find a nice dressy looking Orient and stay within budget. Do a google search and see what pops up, many people here speak highly of them and you'd have a mechanical movement. Otherwise EcoDrive is a great way to go.

Thanks for the replies. That Tissot looks good but it's just a tad more than I'd like to pay right now.
    Is the general consensus that a chronograph is too sporty to go with a suit?
    Size-wise, generally when does it become too big for a daily on a slim wrist? 40mm case? 42? 44?

Consider a mechanical watch. Have a look at Sea-Gull and Beijing. They both make very nice daily wearers and everyday dress watches within your price range.

Sea-Gull
    BJWAF
    wschofield3 likes this.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

No larger than 42, probably 39 ~ 40 if it will be going with a suit.
    Chronographs: Breitling 2 tone Chronomat, Roger Dubuis Easy Diver, DeWitt Academia Sequential, Franck Muller Conquistador, IWC Aquatimer, Hublot Oceanographic 1000, Parmigiani Pershing 45, Royal Oak Offshore Gstaad, Franck Muller Vanguard Carbon, Franck Muller Conquistador, Chopard Mille Miglia, Zenith Defy Aero .. 3 Hand: Angular Momentum diver, Bucherer ScubaTec 2-tone, UN MM Diver 2-tone, Omega Ploprof, Ball Hunley, Omega SM 300 Master Co-Ax 2-tone, Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, Panerai Sub 106, Muhle Glashutte Rasmus blue

Quote Originally Posted by Gary123 View Post
    No larger than 42, probably 39 ~ 40 if it will be going with a suit.
    I wear a 44 with a suit. I believe that a watches suitability (pardon the pun) to be paired with a suit is more to do with case thickness rather than width.

I would say that an Orient is going to be a good choice
    ER27006B | Orient Automatic Watches & Reviews | Orient Watch USA
    With their perpetual 30% discount it comes to $147 and you get another watch free
    hayday likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hovebomber View Post
    I would say that an Orient is going to be a good choice
    ER27006B | Orient Automatic Watches & Reviews | Orient Watch USA
    With their perpetual 30% discount it comes to $147 and you get another watch free
    +1 for Orient, and together with Seiko and Citizen are your best bet for your price range.

From Orient I would look at the following:

Orient Capital Quartz (around $100); Orient Symphony (around $120), and Orient Bambino ($155). For these I would go to LongIslandWatch.com and CreationWatches.com - both are reliable online sellers.

For Seiko and Citizen, you can buy them anywhere - Amazon is a good place, as is CreationWatches.com. I would avoid the chrono, and get a nice 38-40mm quartz or solar/eco-drive. And while very few people will notice your watch, I would think about how much you like the two-tone colors. When I graduated from college I got myself a silver and gold seiko. Fast forward a couple of years, and I was altogether off the gold color. Maybe go with all-stainless for now? It will stand the test of time as far as taste goes, and also be less conspicuous.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information