2020 Speedmaster 321 "Ed White" 311.30.40.30.01.001 - Page 11
Like Tree230Likes

Thread: 2020 Speedmaster 321 "Ed White" 311.30.40.30.01.001

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Re: 2020 Speedmaster 321 "Ed White" 311.30.40.30.01.001

Since it is a machine produced / finished movement / watch, the hand work is equivalent to assembling a completely torn down 321 post service. How long does that take? I so wish my business could charge 10x (or more) cost for our products .
    mjrchabot, JCB43 and Travelller like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mjrchabot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gumpy_999 View Post
    They chasing the higher prices to make sure they keep up with Rolex and away from Tudor I guess. Also they know people want the 321, put some gold in it, ceramic bezel and make it a tad more than the Daytona knowing full well people can’t buy a Daytona. Idea has legs. In saying that I’d prefer it if was 15k aud. Pretty sure there will be a wait list regardless.
    Except you won’t be able to find this either ... if they are only producing about 2,000 per year as estimated, likely Asia and US will see most of the units. Here in Canada, we might see 20/year and that’s being generous I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yep completely agree, this is exactly the Daytona play right?

Quote Originally Posted by mjrchabot View Post
    So you’re saying the extra cost for the 321 Speedy is worth it because it’s built “the old fashioned way”? Meanwhile, Omega could leverage the “new fashioned way” of doing things and likely keep the cost lower.

This is nothing more than a marketing ploy by Omega.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    100% a marketing ploy, like most other luxury goods. When a single watchmaker is used at a different brand, how much do they charge? They've created a desirable sports watch that they'll charge an arm and a leg for and have waiting lists.
    JCB43 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Having thought about this a bit more, I guess the price is in some ways reasonable relative to the market. Considering that each unit is hand built by one watch maker, the limited production number, and the competitions out there, the asking price isn't too bad. There really aren't many column wheel, horizontal clutch, manually wound chronograph with a beautiful movement out there, and most of them are in the realm of haute horology with an even higher asking price.

Do I wish this is more affordable, yes so I can actually afford one. But it's probably not an outrageous asking price relative to the alternatives in the market (new, not vintage).

So when is horizontal clutch a feature? Last time I checked horizontal clutch were inferior design for a chronograph (compared to vertical clutch). In addition to one "watch maker", that's are all marketing BS. Grand Seiko implements a one watch maker for their watch too (with better finishing) but I don't see any one bragging about that. Nor do I see them asking 14k usd price tag.

Don't get it twisted; Speedy Ed White is not a competitor to Rolex's Daytona nor should the Ed White be marketed that way. The Speedmaster caliber .321 only known by a very niche group of Enthusiast within the speedmaster fan club. 2000 Ed White a year is a lot. Majority of Speedy owners and followers don't even care about the caliber .321. While Rolex's Daytona is literally for any one and Anybody that can afford or get their hands on one. It doesnt have to be a collector or enthusiast when it comes to Roles. Whether you are a Rolex collector or just a guy looking for his trophy piece, the Daytona has a bigger following and is nearly on anyone's list. Omega Speedmaster "Ed White" does not fall into those categories; it is only for the small niche enthusiast in the speedy club.

Quote Originally Posted by treiz1337 View Post
    So when is horizontal clutch a feature? Last time I checked horizontal clutch were inferior design for a chronograph (compared to vertical clutch). In addition to one "watch maker", that's are all marketing BS. Grand Seiko implements a one watch maker for their watch too (with better finishing) but I don't see any one bragging about that. Nor do I see them asking 14k usd price tag.

Don't get it twisted; Speedy Ed White is not a competitor to Rolex's Daytona nor should the Ed White be marketed that way. The Speedmaster caliber .321 only known by a very niche group of Enthusiast within the speedmaster fan club. 2000 Ed White a year is a lot. Majority of Speedy owners and followers don't even care about the caliber .321. While Rolex's Daytona is literally for any one and Anybody that can afford or get their hands on one. It doesnt have to be a collector or enthusiast when it comes to Roles. Whether you are a Rolex collector or just a guy looking for his trophy piece, the Daytona has a bigger following and is nearly on anyone's list. Omega Speedmaster "Ed White" does not fall into those categories; it is only for the small niche enthusiast in the speedy club.
    It is a competitor in that it is a watch, it is also a chrono. Some will value the 321 over the Daytona others (most) won't. Where I'm drawing parallels is the way they are going to have limited supply and targeting the enthusiast community to create a waitlist scenario with production model whilst charging a premium.

GS aren't in a position to do that at the moment, they price better than their peers and delivery a better finished product. One day if their brand has a solid standing they will pull the pricing strings as well. In a way in 2019 they have really moved on price too.
    trf2271 and Travelller like this.

Well, I thought about it for 24 hours, and I'm over it now. I have owned 4 different Speedy models over the years, including two Moonwatch with plexiglass. I now have a FOIS and Speemaster Trilogy. Much as I don't like to say it, especially on Omega forum, my remaining two are for sale. This is the culprit:

Name:  AV47.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  1.99 MB

Longines Heritage Avigation BigEye. Since I saw it a few weeks ago at a Longines event I attended hosted by local RedBar, I tried one on that one of the members was wearing. I had to go the next day and find one. Since then, I have come to the conclusion that it's my favorite chronograph of all time. I know that my others will remain locked in a drawer. No disrespect intended to Omega or the Speedmaster, I have had years of pleasure from those watches and continue to admire them. Just have to go where my heart is. And this will save me tons of money! There is only one BigEye model, so there is no choice, if you want the BigEye then this is what you get.

When I saw the 321 yesterday, I thought it is the nicest and best Speedmaster I have ever seen. And I still think that. Even if I come up with the cash, I just know it won't give me the right amount of pleasure. But it is still a most awesome watch!

Cheers,
    Carl
    Those who possess a sense of entitlement are seldom satis​fied.

Quote Originally Posted by NardinNut View Post
    I’d text my AD right now saying count me in, but $14kUSD is nuts for a SS Omega! I can get the H. Moser Heritage Center Seconds for that (I’ve been drooling over the pics for past konth)
    Ha! Your comment certainly hit the right note with me. Although they are two entirely different watches, I do love my H. Moser Heritage. There is solid value in a luxury brand!

Allow me to enable you a bit more sir!

Name:  HMH24.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  1.97 MB

Cheers,
    Carl
    Those who possess a sense of entitlement are seldom satis​fied.

Excuse my ignorance, but beside the internal differences of the movement, exterior aesthetics-wise looks quite the same with current speedmasters but with a large premium?
    JCB43 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteshields1830 View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, but beside the internal differences of the movement, exterior aesthetics-wise looks quite the same with current speedmasters but with a large premium?
    most of them look the same =), Omega have been milking this like a pro. The thing is there is a very strong following due to the significance of what it's associated with and there are people that will pay for this.
    JCB43 likes this.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread Information