2020 Speedmaster 321 "Ed White" 311.30.40.30.01.001 - Page 12
Like Tree230Likes

Thread: 2020 Speedmaster 321 "Ed White" 311.30.40.30.01.001

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Re: 2020 Speedmaster 321 "Ed White" 311.30.40.30.01.001

Quote Originally Posted by Iowa_Watchman View Post
    Of course it's a marketing gimmick and of course it doesn't HAVE to be made by one watchmaker, but that doesn't change the fact that it is. And yes, that's absolutely the reason it will command a higher price tag; they're limiting supply to a level likely below that of demand. Economics 101.

It's literally the exact same scenario with Rolex steel sport watches. There's no reason they HAVE to limit the supply of them, but they choose to keep it well below demand which in turn increases the market price for the watches.
    You have no evidence that Rolex limits supply - ADs perhaps, not Rolex themselves. Rolex sells every watch they produce, they have no reason to increase production and flood the market with sought after SS models. Whatís happening here with the 321 Speedy is not the same thing. There are plenty of threads on that topic already, weíre not going to hash it up here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    carlhaluss and BarracksSi like this.
    In Rotation:
    Rolex 116000 - Blue "3,6,9" Arabic
    Tudor Black Bay 36
    Longines Heritage Conquest L1.411.4
    Dan Henry 1964 Chrono - Panda

Quote Originally Posted by treiz1337 View Post
    So when is horizontal clutch a feature? Last time I checked horizontal clutch were inferior design for a chronograph (compared to vertical clutch). In addition to one "watch maker", that's are all marketing BS. Grand Seiko implements a one watch maker for their watch too (with better finishing) but I don't see any one bragging about that. Nor do I see them asking 14k usd price tag.

Don't get it twisted; Speedy Ed White is not a competitor to Rolex's Daytona nor should the Ed White be marketed that way. The Speedmaster caliber .321 only known by a very niche group of Enthusiast within the speedmaster fan club. 2000 Ed White a year is a lot. Majority of Speedy owners and followers don't even care about the caliber .321. While Rolex's Daytona is literally for any one and Anybody that can afford or get their hands on one. It doesnt have to be a collector or enthusiast when it comes to Roles. Whether you are a Rolex collector or just a guy looking for his trophy piece, the Daytona has a bigger following and is nearly on anyone's list. Omega Speedmaster "Ed White" does not fall into those categories; it is only for the small niche enthusiast in the speedy club.
    This should be pinned ... agree 100%. No one outside of Speedmaster enthusiasts care or know what the 321 is. You ask any watch enthusiast what the Daytona is and theyíll know.
    In Canada at least, the Daytona is $2,000 less than the Ed White, Iím going Daytona every time. The incremental increase over the standard Speedy will not give the owner that same incremental difference in joy when wearing it. Youíll try to convince yourself, but at the end of the day, itís still a Speedmaster.

JCB43 likes this.
    In Rotation:
    Tudor Black Bay 36

The price tag on this thing is an absolute joke! So they have brought back the column wheel. This is not an innovation. Column wheel chronos are common. I'd love to buy this watch, but never will at even half the asking price.
    TheGent, arcentaur and JCB43 like this.
    Mavan Enthusiast
    ~~~~~~~~~~~

The time is secondary.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I doubt people are going to pay 3-4 times a regular speedy for one that looks lk a FOIS modded with stick hands at a glance. A lot of the cool stuffs are only noticable upon closer inspection. However, it does show that Omega is fully aware and capable of designing watches that people want, but for some reason doesn't on a regular basis.
    mjrchabot and JCB43 like this.
    swinging a wall clock around like captain america's shield

I find it easy to argue both ways on the price.

FOR the price:
    --Comparing to other COLUMN WHEEL CHRONOGRAPHS (not time-only watches) it is expensive but not crazy. A JLC Polaris chrono retails for $10,700 - no idea how fair of a comparison that is or not, but this new Omega was never going to be a cheap watch.
    --I think in 5, 10, 20 years this will be a watch that is always in demand and will fetch a high price. While I would not call it an investment, if you got one, don't think you are going to struggle to flip it.
    --It is special, like it or not, this is a big deal and it is priced accordingly.
    --Maybe this is also a sign in the current market the 'regular' Speedy is silly cheap (especially at street price) when you consider what you get. I have seen plenty of chronos costing almost as much as a regular Speedy that were pretty weak in comparison.

AGAINST the price:
    --Retail is more than the Daytona (though it is not really available at that price) which is crazy if taken by itself.
    --Retail on the current sapphire sandwich is $6,350, making this over 2x the retail (and 3x the street price).

Another thought - Omega also had to consider its full chronograph product line. While a Co-axial movement is much more sophisticated and in theory should retail for more, this 321 powered watch is far more special. I would say the 311.30.44.51.01.002 (the one that looks like the Moonwatch, but has the date at 6 and 2 subdials) at $8,700 would be part of the decision. That said, the step from $8,700 to $14,100 is a big one.

Final thought - marking BS aside, I don't really know how special, complex, time-consuming this movement is to make (the new 321). As a movement snob, I have no issue paying dearly for a good movement. If it turns out this really isn't that complex or expensive to build, then shame on Omega. If it turns out a lot of blood, sweat, and tears goes into production, then this might be the one to have.
    2premo, aalin13, kuuttingg and 2 others like this.
    Rolex Explorer I :: Dornblueth & Sohn Calibre 99.1 :: Grand Seiko SBGA211 'Snowflake' :: Omega Speedmaster Professional :: Seiko SPB077 :: Archimede Pilot

Completely agree with a lot of the analysis here, and a lot of it has already been said, but:
    YES
    - Case is lovely, perfect size at a touch smaller than the usual speedie, 321 movement great, and bracelet looks awesome
    NO
    - Price is just nuts, at that RRP and not limited, I can see the second hand market providing a huge drop off in price.
    - Fauxtina doesnt work on this in my opinion

Also at that price you can get an original 321! I mean, why would you buy this when you can get a nice original one with better long collect ability value
    JCB43 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mjrchabot View Post
    Itís the same size as the Speedy FOIS. Itís just simply a Speedy case without crown guards.

I have a Speedy and it's 42mm. It sometimes feels a little large on my 17cm wrist. That's why I commented on the smaller size.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I could stop buying watches, but I'm no quitter.

Rolex Submariner Ceramic ND 114060. Grand Seiko SBGN001G GMT. Omega Aqua Terra 8500. Omega Planet Ocean 8800. Omega Speedmaster 1863.

Casio MRG-8100B-1AJF. Casio MRG-7600-1AJF. Casio MRG-7700-1AJF. Casio GMW-B5000-1ER. Casio GMW-B5000TB-1ER. Casio GW-5000-1AJF.

I love the design (including the fauxtina though the color does not look as great as most actually old tritium). I also love the ceramic for the bezel. I can come to terms with the price somewhat, considering the movement.

Though I still find it a hard sell when compared to other current production Speedmasters. If you want sapphire and straight lugs there is the FOIS which offers a very similar look. If you want more of a vintage feel then the regular Professional with the hesalite/plexi glass and aluminium bezel seems like the one to go for. If you want the open caseback and decorated movement there is the Sapphire Sandwich version. On top of that all those watches have a very solid Lemania movement. So while you may not get the 321, you still get something very capable, somewhat unique in today's watches, and very closely related to the 321 movement. To me it feels like those current production Speedmasters are too good of a deal to go for this Ed White reissue for all but the most hardcore collectors.

The reason why I personally wouldn't consider it (other than the fact that it is out of my budget) is because the twisted lugs and crown guard are part of the Speedmaster look I enjoy. Without them it becomes a little bit more like other chronographs for me.
    Last edited by GrimFandango; 1 Week Ago at 10:32.

Quote Originally Posted by HiggsBoson View Post
    I have a Speedy and it's 42mm. It sometimes feels a little large on my 17cm wrist. That's why I commented on the smaller size.
    Looks fantastic on your wrist! The curved lugs of the Speedy Pro and black dial really help it wear smaller than it is. I never even look at watches over 40mm, however Iíve owned the Speedy Pro three different times because it still wore comfortably on my 16cm wrist.

In Rotation:
    Tudor Black Bay 36

Quote Originally Posted by bobmredg8 View Post
    Wow, I just read this and I was shocked at the price. I kept the email in my inbox from Omega so I can look at it. Iím spending $2800 to have my 861 that I purchased new back in Ď72 completely redone with a new case, case back and bezel, face and hands. Itís not a 321 but it seems like a bargain for a brand new look. The price for a brand new Speedmaster Professional with the 861 movement was $300.00 back in 1972. Iím no economist but the prices now seem exponentially higher.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    $300 in 1972 was the equivalent of 1846 dollars today. That was still quite a bit of money to spend on a watch in 1972 comparable to average salaries back then.
    Tudor Ranger
    Zenith Pilot
    Omega Speedy
    Orient Mako USA
    Panerai 104 Ti
    Panerai 00722
    Swatch Hodinkee Edition
    Hulk
    Oris Clean Ocean Aquis

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread Information