2020 Speedmaster 321 "Ed White" 311.30.40.30.01.001 - Page 15
Like Tree230Likes

Thread: 2020 Speedmaster 321 "Ed White" 311.30.40.30.01.001

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Re: 2020 Speedmaster 321 "Ed White" 311.30.40.30.01.001

Do you know,
    a) Does the sapphire has again the white halo around the edges ?
    Funny how Panerai can make a domed sapphire without halo effect, but not Omega (at least this has been the case earlier, I dont know how it is with this model)

b) Do we know how is the bracelet links held together, by screws, collar&pin combo, or springbars ?
    In a way I hope it is made with springbars. Why? As far as I know,(and sorry for my english) springbars have a kind of bearing on the bar, when the links rotate on your wrist, there is no wear&tear on the pivotting area...rolex type of screw connection will eventually wear out links and bracelet starts to be loose on your wrist, just check old vintage rolex bracelets. Also screws may drop off in time. I made once somewhat secure screw link bracelet with thread locker :)

Quote Originally Posted by mjrchabot View Post
    In Canada at least, the Daytona is $2,000 less than the Ed White, I’m going Daytona every time. The incremental increase over the standard Speedy will not give the owner that same incremental difference in joy when wearing it. You’ll try to convince yourself, but at the end of the day, it’s still a Speedmaster.
    Dont forget that these are all subjective matters. For instance me, I would never take Daytona over Speedmaster, and I would not like to wear Daytona. Daytona is, in my books, aesthetically ugly watch which looks like dressed up diver watch with too busy dial- its not looking like simple rugged tool watch nor it does not look under-the-radar balanced looking sports/dress watch (which e.g sub is), so in way it fails in both areas.

Now Speedmaster is completely different story with honest, non bragging, clean and professinal (no pun intended) look, I love the new 321 model - it got beautiful dial and applied logo (which earlier was used only in vintage pieces), and even more beautiful movement with a history. Love the vintage symmetric case also, I saw once 1957 Anniversary Speedy (2915 style) and I was suprised how compact the case was, in a good way. Honestly modern speedmasters are just slightly too big in my opinion, 39.7mm seems perfect. What comes to this model, it is overpriced for sure but I am so happy they revived cal321.

Again, just my take, nothing personal.
    Pimmsley and Travelller like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    I heard that assembly takes place in china.
    Chinese whispers

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Dont forget that these are all subjective matters. For instance me, I would never take Daytona over Speedmaster, and I would not like to wear Daytona. Daytona is, in my books, aesthetically ugly watch which looks like dressed up diver watch with too busy dial- its not looking like simple rugged tool watch nor it does not look under-the-radar balanced looking sports/dress watch (which e.g sub is), so in way it fails in both areas.

Now Speedmaster is completely different story with honest, non bragging, clean and professinal (no pun intended) look, I love the new 321 model - it got beautiful dial and applied logo (which earlier was used only in vintage pieces), and even more beautiful movement with a history. Love the vintage symmetric case also, I saw once 1957 Anniversary Speedy (2915 style) and I was suprised how compact the case was, in a good way. Honestly modern speedmasters are just slightly too big in my opinion, 39.7mm seems perfect. What comes to this model, it is overpriced for sure but I am so happy they revived cal321.

Again, just my take, nothing personal.
    This entire hobby is subjective ... with that said, there’s a reason you can’t find a steel Daytona in any AD. No problem buying a Speedy if you want...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    JCB43 likes this.
    In Rotation:
    Rolex 116000 - Blue "3,6,9" Arabic
    Tudor Black Bay 36
    Longines Heritage Conquest L1.411.4
    Dan Henry 1964 Chrono - Panda

Do you know,
    Funny how Panerai can make a domed sapphire without halo effect, but not Omega (at least this has been the case earlier, I dont know how it is with this model)

b) Do we know how is the bracelet links held together, by screws, collar&pin combo, or springbars ?
    In a way I hope it is made with springbars. Why? As far as I know,(and sorry for my english) springbars have a kind of bearing on the bar, when the links rotate on your wrist, there is no wear&tear on the pivotting area...rolex type of screw connection will eventually wear out links and bracelet starts to be loose on your wrist, just check old vintage rolex bracelets. Also screws may drop off in time. I made once somewhat secure screw link bracelet with thread locker :)
    You do realize “old vintage Rolex bracelets” are held together by a pin and collar system. Screwed bracelet links are the most robust system and ensure a bracelet doesn’t stretch. There is absolutely no change a screw is going to become loose overtime, that’s nonsense. You’re wrong on mostly everything you post here lol ...show us any sources or supporting evidence for what you say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    In Rotation:
    Rolex 116000 - Blue "3,6,9" Arabic
    Tudor Black Bay 36
    Longines Heritage Conquest L1.411.4
    Dan Henry 1964 Chrono - Panda

with that said, there’s a reason you can’t find a steel Daytona in any AD. No problem buying a Speedy if you want...
    I believe the reason got more to do with influencing people than anything else, people should buy more what they really like&love - or then I am completely wrong and mosf of men have very similar taste when it comes to watches.

Ill take either one (being wrong or right, not Daytona or 321)

You do realize “old vintage Rolex bracelets” are held together by a pin and collar system. Screwed bracelet links are the most robust system and ensure a bracelet doesn’t stretch. There is absolutely no change a screw is going to become loose overtime, that’s nonsense.
    Earlier I thought the same way you do, since then Ive changed my opinion about screws. Mainly because I had once screw sticking out from the bracelet about 0.5mm being loose, I screwed it out, used thread locker to the threaded hole in the endlink and screwed in the screw. Secondly after watching the video, got me really thinking. Nowadays I think springbar / pin&collar is best.

Here is interesting video about bracelet styles which got me wondering about 321 Ed White models bracelet :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_oi_jSHCZE&t=425s
    Last edited by Anthony; 1 Week Ago at 16:11.
    JCB43 likes this.

overprice, imho. but it will only go up in price, which is amazing

Do you know,

The Panerai you're referring to probably has a Domed Sapphire. The Speedmaster uses a Box Sapphire. Box Sapphire will have a milky ring / halo. It is not exclusive to any brand, but is the result of the shape of the crystal. Box Sapphires are more expensive than a basic domed sapphire. The Daytona as an example, also has a box sapphire, and you can see a milky ring as well.
    Zenith Sporto 1956
    Omega Speedmaster Professional Hesalite - Mitsukoshi Dial / Apollo Soyuz Hands / Sapphire Caseback
    Seiko SKX013 - MOD
    Orion Calamity

if i only had the money,, but then again, its NOT really the 321 , is it? $14k? damn
    JCB43 likes this.
    TAG Carrera Racing
    Omega SpeedMaster Professional 3570.50 ( The last one?)
    Rolex SubC Hulk
    Rolex DSSD Deep Sea

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread Information