2020 Speedmaster 321 "Ed White" 311.30.40.30.01.001 - Page 16
Like Tree219Likes

Thread: 2020 Speedmaster 321 "Ed White" 311.30.40.30.01.001

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Re: 2020 Speedmaster 321 "Ed White" 311.30.40.30.01.001

Quote Originally Posted by jeffgo888 View Post
    if i only had the money,, but then again, its NOT really the 321 , is it? $14k? damn
    No, it is just a very expensive copy. Once again Omega is making stupid marketing decisions.... so sad....
    JCB43 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan24 View Post
    No, it is just a very expensive copy. Once again Omega is making stupid marketing decisions.... so sad....
    Goodmorning, I just registered @ Watchuseek but I've been searching this forum for >10 years:)
    I ordered the new Ed White a week ago having had a few Speedies in the past, craving an original 321 for>5 years. Being a Rolex guy myself I love Speedmasters and their history, not much of a Daytona fan(had one >10y ago flipped it with a profit)

Question: If the new 321 is 'just a copy' which it is literally, what about the Singer '911' based cars or even a probably better analogy, the
    Aston Martin DB4 GT /Zagato Continuation they released a few years ago? A 60s (gentleman) racer produced 'today' with all the eye to details like it was from the 60s?
    They're sold out already:)

Cheers
    Robin
    Cod Holliday and MrSnowRabbit like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSnowRabbit View Post
    One of the biggest misconceptions, apart from the misconception that the Omega Ed White wore is known as the first omega in space (hint: it’s not, it’s the one Walter Schirra wore in space a few years prior), is that the color of the lume on the new watch is faux patina...it’s not faux patina... it’s yet another accurate-to-the-original detail they got right ... these watches came with none-white lume originally from the factory in the 60s.
    Interesting. Is there more info/proof/photos in colour from then new 60s pre moon Speedmasters?

Cheers
    Robin

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
    Question: If the new 321 is 'just a copy' which it is literally, what about the Singer '911' based cars or even a probably better analogy, the
    Aston Martin DB4 GT /Zagato Continuation they released a few years ago? A 60s (gentleman) racer produced 'today' with all the eye to details like it was from the 60s?
    Excellent points. I have been pondering exact same question , but havent really come up with a conclusion. What is definition of copy ? (dont bother googling, just use your imagination) To make 1:1 replica? Or one opinion could be that copy is something that other manufacturers are mimicking from the original design? But in a way, this watch is different, and its branded and designed by Omega , nothing unofficial taking place.

In other hand, theres no new inventions in this watch, movement is old, case style is old, bracelet design from -50 or -60, ceramic bezels and sapphire has been seen in many watches before. Nothing new much to offer for the price. But I guess the trick is, these things have never earlier been seen together in a Speedmaster (not to mention in a watch), its like vintage piece in steroids. considering all the features in this piece, its no wonder it has been already referred as "the best Speedmaster ever built". I want it, but not at that price. And yes, it looks clearly like a collectors piece.
    Last edited by Anthony; 2 Days Ago at 09:41.

Goodmorning, I just registered @ Watchuseek but I've been searching this forum for >10 years:)
    I ordered the new Ed White a week ago having had a few Speedies in the past, craving an original 321 for>5 years. Being a Rolex guy myself I love Speedmasters and their history, not much of a Daytona fan(had one >10y ago flipped it with a profit)

They're sold out already:)

Cheers
    Robin
    Interesting question, I think this is more akin to the Zagato than the Singer. The Singer takes an original 911 and modernise it with modifications to improve performance, whereas the Zagato is a more faithful replica of the original.

Interesting. Is there more info/proof/photos in colour from then new 60s pre moon Speedmasters?

Cheers
    Robin
    Some pictures here.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/debu...ce-new.107400/

IMHO it can only be called ‘faux’ in a historic context, I.e if it was made new to look 60 years old, but if it was made new to look almost exactly to look new 60 years ago then it’s not ‘faux’, it’s historically accurate. Ofcourse one needs to know what the original looked like when it was new. My feeling is manufacturers should know.

Some pictures here.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/debu...ce-new.107400/

IMHO it can only be called ‘faux’ in a historic context, I.e if it was made new to look 60 years old, but if it was made new to look almost exactly to look new 60 years ago then it’s not ‘faux’, it’s historically accurate. Ofcourse one needs to know what the original looked like when it was new. My feeling is manufacturers should know.
    Interesting thread, but if I'm honest, the photos look more like off white with a green tint to me. Definitely not the same as what Omega has shown in the press photo of the new watch, which looks more like a yellowish orange colour.

It's hard to say for sure though, as photo colours and how our brain perceive them is quite complex, and everyone perceives them differently.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Travelller likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by aalin13 View Post
    Interesting thread, but if I'm honest, the photos look more like off white with a green tint to me. Definitely not the same as what Omega has shown in the press photo of the new watch, which looks more like a yellowish orange colour.

It's hard to say for sure though, as photo colours and how our brain perceive them is quite complex, and everyone perceives them differently.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Our brains perceive the colors that are provided by the screens we use to display digital images...so yes, everyone would perceive them slightly differently, especially when eg using a 5 year old Nexus 6P phone from 2015 vs say, a professional studio monitor that has had its color correctly calibrated.

Or maybe you were looking at that Rolex ;)

So my take... when the 321 made its debut roughly one year ago, I wanted to see the 321 placed in a SS case... (and) I wanted to "see" it... literally . Enter the 321 Ed White - Omega has essentially delivered what I asked for (and I suspect, many others as well).
    All-in-all, I think they put together a pretty nice package for us (or me...). Granted, the decision to go with sapphire was baffling... and I would have preferred white lume although this was not much of a surprise given the overall trend with tributes / re-creations.

Aaand then there's the price*. Who wouldn't like to see it much lower. But, in the words of The Irishmen's Russel Bufalino, "...it is what it is."

So yeah... I'm in for one

*Re. pricing vs. business strategy... I have no own business experience to support existing theories (Day-to-na... ) and/or wanting to go further upmarket.. . I will say that both "theories" will be better supported / discredited once we see what Omega does with the 1861 / 3861 and their standard production SMPs. If the 3861 will completely replace the 1861 (in time), what will be the price for the SMP + Hesalite?

The 321 Ed White is not, imho, an indicator of Omega's business strategy. Rather, I see Omega reaching out to their Speedmaster fan-base with this tribute. This is not a new concept but unlike other houses, they took it one step further by re-creating the movement. So ...about that price tag. My machining / factory / tooling know-how is up there with my business experience (in other words, not a whole lot), so I'll just pass on an interesting comment made by someone who has more experience in both sectors (F. Mandelbaum, of Breitling's 806 fame). He asserted* that despite the hefty price tag, Omega is taking a loss on the 321 Ed White...
    *FB SpeedyTuesday Group

Quote Originally Posted by mjrchabot View Post
    No one outside of Speedmaster enthusiasts care or know what the 321 is. You ask any watch enthusiast what the Daytona is and they’ll know. In Canada at least, the Daytona is $2,000 less than the Ed White, I’m going Daytona every time. The incremental increase over the standard Speedy will not give the owner that same incremental difference in joy when wearing it. You’ll try to convince yourself, but at the end of the day, it’s still a Speedmaster.
    I'm not really certain what you're defining as "incremental" - it can't be the price because that's certainly not an increment, rather a giant leap (for WISkind... ). If you are instead referring to the differences in the 321EW vs. a standard production Speedmaster... then I'm really confused.
    My very short remark about the current production Daytona (because this is an Omega thread in an Omega subforum and I don't see what the two have in common aside from the Chronograph complication); the 4130 is certainly an excellent, modernized movement (the 3235 in my 126600 is exceptional) Other than that, I have nothing positive to say about the reference - I can't stand the dial and while the screw-down pushers certainly have a functional / technical benefit, they make the watch look all the more convoluted.

One of the biggest misconceptions ... is that the color of the lume on the new watch is faux patina...it’s not faux patina... it’s yet another accurate-to-the-original detail they got right ... these watches came with none-white lume originally from the factory in the 60s. As to the price: I dare anyone to find a ‘clean and correct’ vintage 105.003 that will not make one puke, in today’s market, with correct bracelet and endlinks, for 14k. If you can, feel free to pm me the deal, thanks.
    Regarding finding a good vintage piece - agree with you completely. My own search had me looking at €18K (no box, no papers - only an "extract from the Omega Archives").

As for the choice of SuperLuminova color; either you like the "aged patina" look or you don't. I don't ... but I'll live The suggestion that (new) Tritium paint /lume was never really white is plausible. However, based on my own recollection and the photos being circulated, if anything, the tritium paint had a green tinge to it. That green shade was most likely due to the fact that it was constantly emitting (green) light - regardless if seen in a lit room or in the darkness. A product photo-shoot usually takes place in a studio and despite the strong lighting, it's not sunlight and so there's a possibility that the tritium's (green) "illumination" will be (slightly) visible...

Quote Originally Posted by aalin13 View Post
    Interesting thread, but if I'm honest, the photos look more like off white with a green tint to me. Definitely not the same as what Omega has shown in the press photo of the new watch, which looks more like a yellowish orange colour...
    Exactly how I see it. They are portraying patina* and not "fresh" tritium paint. Same as almost every other brand has been doing since what, 2013? Some are really over the damn top with "tropical" dials and burnt markers (al la radium), while others are much more demure, like our 321 Ed White.
    *Patina is the result of tritium's effect on the phosphor-component over time. This is even more evident with Radium, which was extremely destructive - hence the "burnt" colors of markers, etc.

I will learn to live with it much like I've learned to live with the SM300MC...

Quote Originally Posted by PuYang View Post
    The Panerai you're referring to probably has a Domed Sapphire. The Speedmaster uses a Box Sapphire. Box Sapphire will have a milky ring / halo. It is not exclusive to any brand, but is the result of the shape of the crystal. Box Sapphires are more expensive than a basic domed sapphire. The Daytona as an example, also has a box sapphire, and you can see a milky ring as well.
    There are rings, and then there's Omega's. I had this argument with my Omega AD and he admitted that the classic Speedmaster Professional's was exaggerated. He did however manage to find others that were less obtrusive (I believe it was the FOIS, but I can't be 100% certain). As for other brands... my GS Blizzard has an awesome boxed crystal...

WastedYears and aalin13 like this.
    Traveller - Genève * Melbourne * Miami * Wien
    Pictorial links:
    Omega 3572.50 SM300MC SpeedyTuesday
    Panerai 111G 217 233
    Rolex 16600 126600
    Seiko SBGA125 SBDX001 SLA017 SLA025 SLA033
    Tudor 5B GMT

Our brains perceive the colors that are provided by the screens we use to display digital images...so yes, everyone would perceive them slightly differently, especially when eg using a 5 year old Nexus 6P phone from 2015 vs say, a professional studio monitor that has had its color correctly calibrated.

Or maybe you were looking at that Rolex ;)
    Haha, the Nexus 6P is my watching YouTube in bed phone. I've looked at them again with my current daily phone (Pixel 3), and my desktop, neither are colour calibrated, but I still don't see it.

Here are I think two of the better photos on the Omega forum due to lighting:

https://omegaforums.net/attachments/...80-jpg.910001/

https://omegaforums.net/attachments/ha-jpg.909998/

Compare that to the new one:

https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-o...31130403001001

The old ones look more off white with mainly a green colour, may be a very slight pastel yellow tint to it.

The new ones are more like orange/mustard yellow and looks more like aged lume to my eyes.

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread Information