AD said; OMEGA price rise Tuesday 1st Oct 19 - Page 2
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: AD said; OMEGA price rise Tuesday 1st Oct 19

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: AD said; OMEGA price rise Tuesday 1st Oct 19

Omega has been aggressively hiking up the price for years now. Here in Europe the last one was only last May.

They feel that in terms of heritage, prestige and quality they should be able to ask for a larger premium on their watches. And while they may be right, it is kind of bitter that for example a Speedmaster Professional is now sold at the AD for around 4700 euro (the regular sapphire version). It isn't that long ago that the list price was HALF of that and the model has remained identical. This makes it feel like you are paying thousands for brand perception rather than added value to the product. It certainly outpaces inflation to say the least.

Omega was always a great value brand because you got the heritage, innovation in horology, iconic models and luxury level finish and quality for a price far below some of the competitors that can not match Omega on these criteria. But it seems they are making a calculated move towards higher end luxury. Not just with the price hike, but also with their new releases. I won't be surprised if there is an actual plan to triple their prices in the span of two decades. After all, lesser brands (from a horological and brand recognition point of view) are fetching those premiums as well.
    Last edited by GrimFandango; October 3rd, 2019 at 18:38.
    Kirkawall likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sock View Post
    Maybe it was only certain models. Is there a new price list?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Website apparently shows new prices

Yeah I dithered on making a decision 2 weeks ago and haven’t had the chance to go back to the AD since. It’s a costly mistake.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

In Hungary we had ~10% increase. (at least on the 2 Seamaster models I had photo of the old price to compare)

(prices are in HUF, including our 27% VAT :O )

Name:  24_img_20191004_115543.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  161.3 KB

Name:  24_img_20191004_115522.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  212.0 KB
    *** H. Moser & Cie - Pioneer Centre Second *** Omega Seamaster GMT - 2234.50.00 *** Omega Speedmaster Professional - Speedy Tuesday "ULTRAMAN" - 311.12.42.30.01.001 *** Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military MAXI - Limited Edition *** Grand Seiko "Snowflake" - SBGA211 *** Grand Seiko - SBGH267 *** Grand Seiko - SBGA229 ***

No price hike in Spain, we had a small increase in June this year (2 to 3% depending on model).

They can hike the prices all they want. You’ll still be able to find a lot of new models for 20-30% off all over the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by GrimFandango View Post
    Omega has been aggressively hiking up the price for years now. Here in Europe the last one was only last May.

They feel that in terms of heritage, prestige and quality they should be able to ask for a larger premium on their watches. And while they may be right, it is kind of bitter that for example a Speedmaster Professional is now sold at the AD for around 4700 euro (the regular sapphire version). It isn't that long ago that the list price was HALF of that and the model has remained identical. This makes it feel like you are paying thousands for brand perception rather than added value to the product. It certainly outpaces inflation to say the least.

Omega was always a great value brand because you got the heritage, innovation in horology, iconic models and luxury level finish and quality for a price far below some of the competitors that can not match Omega on these criteria. But it seems they are making a calculated move towards higher end luxury. Not just with the price hike, but also with their new releases. I won't be surprised if there is an actual plan to triple their prices in the span of two decades. After all, lesser brands (from a horological and brand recognition point of view) are fetching those premiums as well.

I can't help but think, that Omega actually believe, that by just increasing their prices, this will actually make them more comparable to Rolex!
    Omega used to be a great value alternative, but buy increasing their prices, I personally think they are losing their 'edge' over Rolex.
    rpbertjaehoonlee likes this.
    I could stop buying watches, but I'm no quitter.

Rolex Submariner Ceramic ND 114060.
    Grand Seiko SBGN001G GMT.
    Omega Aqua Terra 8500.
    Omega Planet Ocean 8800.
    Omega Speedmaster 1863.

Casio MRG-8100B-1AJF.
    Casio MRG-7600-1AJF.
    Casio MRG-7700-1AJF.
    Casio GMW-B5000-1ER.
    Casio GW-5000-1AJF.

Just checked the UK Omega site. Holy .... have they gone up. I’m not sure I’ll be able to keep a straight face next time I go in to the AD to say “Hi”. Still think the hesalite Moonwatch is relative good value though as a total package.

Quote Originally Posted by Akendal9 View Post
    Just checked the UK Omega site. Holy .... have they gone up. I’m not sure I’ll be able to keep a straight face next time I go in to the AD to say “Hi”. Still think the hesalite Moonwatch is relative good value though as a total package.

How much by? My PO by $400AUD

Quote Originally Posted by HiggsBoson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrimFandango View Post

I can't help but think, that Omega actually believe, that by just increasing their prices, this will actually make them more comparable to Rolex!
    Omega used to be a great value alternative, but buy increasing their prices, I personally think they are losing their 'edge' over Rolex. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://forums.watchuseek.com/images/smilies/think.gif[/IMG]
    Agree.. When they doubled the Moonwatch prices they conveyed that signal. Over the past decade (?): Same watch, new fancy box.

Last years they went from 2 years of warranty to 5 and months later tried to price the cost of the first service in the retail price?

But, in any case, who pays retail when buying an Omega?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information