Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advice re: Omega Aqua Terra GMT 43MM

Hi all,

I've currently got my sights on this stunner - ref: 231.10.43.22.03.001
    Name:  AT.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  187.2 KB

A few questions:
    • If I'm not mistaken, I believe I read that the AT line has since gotten a movement upgrade in the current generation vs. that generation. Am curious whether the movement change is material in any way?
    • Does anyone know whether the blue dial of this vs. the AT Skyfall 38.5 (ref: 231.10.39.21.03.001) is the same? I've loved all the Skyfall and the colors on the Omega website look somewhat different so am curious if there is a difference.
    • Are there any other watches y'all would recommend that are similar in nature? Specifically clean dial design, GMT or some other hour quick set function since I travel almost every other week, steel on steel or steel on rubber. Would prefer Omega and I have done desk research on most Omega GMTs but open to hearing ideas. Definitely not looking for a big diver watch with a prominent bezel or a leather strap.

Thanks in advance!
    fskywalker likes this.

Re: Advice re: Omega Aqua Terra GMT 43MM

Doesn't that short minute hand put you off? Drove me crazy, I had to sell mine.

I've been waiting for an upgrade to this model with longer hands as they've done with the Annual Calendar but it doesn't seem to be high on Omega's priority list.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    fskywalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 4counters View Post
    Doesn't that short minute hand put you off?
    I hope this isn’t going to be a case of “can’t unsee what you’ve seen” but I don’t think I get what you mean. As in it’s so much shorter than the seconds hand or that it doesn’t reach to the edge of the dial?

If anything, the GMT hand is a little stubby but to think that’s OK since it points to the inner 24 hour numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    fskywalker likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I just picked up one of these with both rubber and steel bracelet.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    fskywalker likes this.

Always loved this model in black and the blue. The hand sizes all worked for me and also liked the subtle date position. Enjoy whatever you choose.
    kiwi_kal and fskywalker like this.

Personally I find the 24 hour markers on the inside of the dial a bit weird. It looks messy. They also did a SMP version with the 24 hours on the inside of the dial. I think a gmt needs to have the hours on the bezel but thats just me. The GMT pictured above is a great option if you can find one. Nice low profile case and much easier to read. As to GMT recommendations, the Tudor black bay GMT is quite funky but may be a bit hefty. I guess the best GMT that springs to mind is the Rolex explorer 16570 which has a clean dial and isnt huge although their prices seem to be getting silly nowadays.
    fskywalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi_kal View Post
    I hope this isn’t going to be a case of “can’t unsee what you’ve seen” but I don’t think I get what you mean. As in it’s so much shorter than the seconds hand or that it doesn’t reach to the edge of the dial?

If anything, the GMT hand is a little stubby but to think that’s OK since it points to the inner 24 hour numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The hands IMHO are not proportionate to the case and dial size. And I honestly hate the 24 hrs time on the INSIDE of the hour markers. I prefer them to be on the outside.

Nothing entirely wrong with the GMT hand, it's just we commonly perceive the GMT marker on the most outer ring of the dial, or even the bezel. However, the minute and hour hand is still too short for such a larger dial, especially the minute hand, being too close in size with the hour hand.

Oh man... it really has become a case of "can't unsee what you've seen"... lol. For clarity, I'm not that easily dissuaded and still love the watch. Will go back to AD this weekend and tinker around again in person.

I also did more research on some of these movements and I now believe that it's not necessarily the GMT movement or 24 hour time or dual-time that I'm actually looking for... I just want to make it easy to switch +/- 3 hours when I travel regularly within the US without stopping seconds so I don't have to re-calibrate (i.e., stop/hack seconds for time setting with quick set hours without stop seconds). As a result, I'm going to check out some other ATs and other non-Omegas for this set of functionality. I'd even be OK with no date - that's one less thing to clutter up the dial!
    fskywalker likes this.

concerning the Skyfall... is it only the AT style that you like, or did the PO style also make you smile :) AT's are beautiful (used to own the 18k bezel with croc strap)... loved that watch :)
    fskywalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by carilva View Post
    concerning the Skyfall... is it only the AT style that you like, or did the PO style also make you smile :) AT's are beautiful (used to own the 18k bezel with croc strap)... loved that watch :)
    I think I prefer the aesthetic of the AT over that of the PO. That said, I'm going to try some PO's on when I visit the AD this weekend. Now that I've learned that I actually care less about GMT functionality and just want stop seconds + hour quick set, I might like some of the simpler PO movements/dials (e.g., without chronograph).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information