Aqua Terra: Everything But The Indices
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Aqua Terra: Everything But The Indices

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 45
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Renton, WA
    Posts
    30

    Aqua Terra: Everything But The Indices

    I so want to like to Aqua Terra. My personal opinion: It is such a beautiful line of watches... except for the indices.

    Name:  omega-seamaster-aqua-terra-150m-omega-co-axial-master-chronometer-41-mm-22012412103001-l.png
Views: 121
Size:  232.5 KB
    image source: https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/w...22012412103001

    Whenever I look at an AT, I can't help but seeing a lamprey:
    Name:  lamphrey-getty-01.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  62.1 KB
    image source:
    https://www.wired.com/2014/07/absurd-creature-of-the-week-lamprey/

    Or the Sarlacc pit from Star Wars:
    Name:  20141216_233446.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  653.3 KB
    image source: https://www.therpf.com/forums/threads/star-wars-sarlacc-pit-diorama-model-project.230792/

    Perhaps my brain is just so weird that this is where it goes to when seeing those inwardly-pointing indices. Anyone else have this issue?
    Covenant, bobs100 and gohmdoree like this.

  2. #2
    Member Covenant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    1,059

    Re: Aqua Terra: Everything But The Indices

    Quote Originally Posted by sliderule3_14 View Post
    Anyone else have this issue?[/FONT]
    I do now! Thanks :P

    You could always go for one of the references with lozenge-shaped indices, like this:

    Name:  omega-seamaster-aqua-terra-150m-omega-co-axial-master-chronometer-ladies-38-mm-22010382003002-l.png
Views: 114
Size:  199.9 KB

    Sure, Omega calls this a "ladies" model, but it's 38mm and a Master Chronometer, and the styling isn't overly feminine.

    Or you could go for the Seamaster Diver 300, which has several advantages over the Aqua Terra at the same price point.
    bobs100 likes this.

  3. #3
    Member geckobros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    599

    Re: Aqua Terra: Everything But The Indices

    It's a matter of perspective.

    Name:  istockphoto-851198282-612x612.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  38.8 KB

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    306

    Re: Aqua Terra: Everything But The Indices

    Can it look a little bit like teeth? I suppose, although I only ever really notice it when someone points it out. But the indices also do absolutely magical things with light, so I'll take the trade-off. I love the indices personally. The sawed-off hour hand was tougher for me to get over (although I got over that long ago as well).
    Covenant likes this.
    Current: Ω Aqua Terra 8500 | Ω Planet Ocean 2500 | Ω Speedmaster 375.0043 | Rolex Pepsi 126710BLRO | Rolex Submariner 14060 | Rolex "Polar" Explorer II 216570
    Gone, but not forgotten: Ω SMPc 2500 | Rolex 16700 Pepsi

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Renton, WA
    Posts
    30

    Re: Aqua Terra: Everything But The Indices

    Quote Originally Posted by geckobros View Post
    It's a matter of perspective.

    Name:  istockphoto-851198282-612x612.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  38.8 KB
    Either way, I feel like I'm being eaten.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Renton, WA
    Posts
    30

    Re: Aqua Terra: Everything But The Indices

    Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    I do now! Thanks :P

    You could always go for one of the references with lozenge-shaped indices, like this:

    Name:  omega-seamaster-aqua-terra-150m-omega-co-axial-master-chronometer-ladies-38-mm-22010382003002-l.png
Views: 114
Size:  199.9 KB

    Sure, Omega calls this a "ladies" model, but it's 38mm and a Master Chronometer, and the styling isn't overly feminine.

    Or you could go for the Seamaster Diver 300, which has several advantages over the Aqua Terra at the same price point.
    Yeah, my brain does see that as a feminine-looking watch. I think it's the design on the dial. But oh, so close.

    The Seamaster 300 is on my radar, but there's something about the scalloping cuts on the bezel that looks a tad....too much.

    Yeah, I'm keenly aware of how aware and detail-oriented I am. A blessing and a curse.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Renton, WA
    Posts
    30

    Re: Aqua Terra: Everything But The Indices

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelB25 View Post
    Can it look a little bit like teeth? I suppose, although I only ever really notice it when someone points it out. But the indices also do absolutely magical things with light, so I'll take the trade-off. I love the indices personally. The sawed-off hour hand was tougher for me to get over (although I got over that long ago as well).
    I've been thinking of ways to look at it differently. My eyes are drawn to the "positive" in the image. Perhaps I should focus on the "negative"--the spaces in between. In a way, it looks like comets or falling stars in the night sky, or the Red-Hot Chili Pepper's logo.

    Either way, I'm both drawn to and revolted by it. A complex relationship with a watch may not be a bad thing in the end.

    Lots to ponder in my swirly brain.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  9. #8
    Member geckobros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    599

    Re: Aqua Terra: Everything But The Indices

    Quote Originally Posted by sliderule3_14 View Post
    Either way, I feel like I'm being eaten.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    That would be a spooky feeling.

    On a serious note, the indices are amazing in my opinion. Have you had a chance to see an AT in person? If you do get the chance, try and look at one outside.. I find the lights in jewelry stores work well for diamonds but not for most watches.

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Renton, WA
    Posts
    30

    Re: Aqua Terra: Everything But The Indices

    Quote Originally Posted by geckobros View Post
    On a serious note, the indices are amazing in my opinion. Have you had a chance to see an AT in person?
    I have not, but there's a boutique here in Seattle that I've been meaning to check out.



    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  11. #10
    Member Covenant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    1,059

    Re: Aqua Terra: Everything But The Indices

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelB25 View Post
    The sawed-off hour hand was tougher for me to get over (although I got over that long ago as well).
    That's a beef of mine with the Aqua Terra as well. Much prefer the fine point on the SM300.

    Quote Originally Posted by sliderule3_14 View Post
    The Seamaster 300 is on my radar, but there's something about the scalloping cuts on the bezel that looks a tad....too much.

    Yeah, I'm keenly aware of how aware and detail-oriented I am. A blessing and a curse.
    Nothing wrong with being detail-oriented! When you find the perfect design (or learn to love an imperfection or two) you'll be all the more satisfied. The scalloped bezel is one of the things I love about the SMP, but that's of course totally subjective. What I don't really like about this watch is the cut-off index at 6 below the date window. The dial layout would seem more harmonious without it, IMO, but in light of all the other strengths of the watch I've learned to overlook it.

    Quote Originally Posted by sliderule3_14 View Post
    I've been thinking of ways to look at it differently. My eyes are drawn to the "positive" in the image. Perhaps I should focus on the "negative"--the spaces in between.
    What about a model with less contrast then? Like one of these:

    Name:  omega-seamaster-aqua-terra-150m-22023412102001-l (1).png
Views: 107
Size:  230.8 KB

    Name:  omega-seamaster-aqua-terra-150m-omega-co-axial-master-chronometer-38-mm-22020382002001-l.png
Views: 118
Size:  190.9 KB

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •