Aqua Terra Woes - Page 6
Like Tree170Likes

Thread: Aqua Terra Woes

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Re: Aqua Terra Woes

Dan,

I have had all three variants in blue but the latter 8900 in black

I actually prefer the lack of frame on the date. The bracelet can get brushed so that option would be my choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    fskywalker and Jetguy87 like this.
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Jetguy87 View Post
    I'm going to go against the grain and put in a good word for the Spectre. You might recall my AT dilemma from earlier this year (https://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/aq...p-5037379.html), in which I was trying to decide between keeping a 2503.80 (39mm) and 2504.80 (36mm) -- you were steady source of advice, Dan!

I ended up keeping the 2503.80 (for a whole host of reasons discussed on page 5 of in the above thread), but found a great deal on a 38.5mm Spectre thereafter, and was likewise contemplating picking up either it or the Skyfall, to replace the 2503,80, which still felt a smidge big. The Skyfall wasn't available at the time, but all examples I had seen were at least USD 1,000 more than the Spectre that I picked up. To my mind, that just wasn't worth it -- you're getting a better movement with the Spectre, and I had the good luck of buying one with the bracelet brushed, so it was just the date window frame missing.

I like the date window frame as much as the next guy, but for USD 1,000? When there's a better movement available? I just didn't think it was worth it. So I would say that, if there's a reasonably priced Skyfall available, by all means go for it. But a lot of sellers tend to upcharge for that little date window frame, and in the grand scheme of things, I question whether it's really worth it when compared to the advantages of the Spectre. I even toyed with figuring out a way to mod the Spectre and add a date window frame to get the best of both worlds, but to date (pun somewhat intended) this hasn't bothered me enough to justify seriously contemplating it.

Now the only problem is that I'm still clutching on to my 2503.80 for sentimental reasons and am bothered by whether I can justify keeping both -- but that's a different story....
    That was quite the dilemma that you went through! I didnít realise you picked up a Spectre AT also. Iíve pondered the whole date window thing and itís an aesthetics thing for me. It looks fine having no window when the date is at 6, but at 3 like on the Spectre and itís a little Ďbareí to me?

Iíll keep pondering until an AT appears that Iím happy buying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    fskywalker and Jetguy87 like this.
    Dan
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...........................................
    My Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/barny.1976/

Current

Ω Omega 38.5mm Aqua Terra "Skyfall": Ω Omega Planet Ocean Liquid Metal Limited Edition: Rolex Submariner 14060M Y Serial

Gone

Ω Omega Speedmaster 3592.50
    Ω Omega Seamaster 300 60th Anniversary Limited Edition
    Rolex Submariner 114060
    Ω Omega 36mm Railmaster

Ω Omega Seamaster 300 Spectre Limited Edition
    Ω Omega 38.5mm Aqua Terra "Skyfall"
    Ω Omega Speedmaster 3873.50 Sapphire Sandwich
    Ω Omega Aqua Terra 39mm Starburst blue dial
    Ω Omega Planet Ocean 2209.50
    Ω Omega Seamaster 2254.50

Quote Originally Posted by MFB71 View Post
    Dan,

I have had all three variants in blue but the latter 8900 in black

I actually prefer the lack of frame on the date. The bracelet can get brushed so that option would be my choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yep your well versed for sure

Iím not bothered so much about PCLís as it wouldnít be a bracelet watch for me really.

Dan
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...........................................

Current

Ω Omega 38.5mm Aqua Terra "Skyfall": Ω Omega Planet Ocean Liquid Metal Limited Edition: Rolex Submariner 14060M Y Serial

Gone

Rolex Submariner 114060
    Ω Omega 36mm Railmaster

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I just showed these 3 photos to the good lady and she pointed to the Skyfall as being her favourite. I asked why and she said it had a luxury look due to the blue tone of the dial and looked complete?

She liked the simplicity of the 2500. If the 2500 had a framed date she wouldíve chosen that one.

She liked the Spectre like the Skyfall but thought it was missing something that she couldnít explain.

The 8800 she didnít like at all. The tone of the blue wasnít dark enough and the lines across werenít as nice as vertical.

fskywalker and Morrisdog like this.
    Dan

Current

Gone

Rolex Submariner 114060
    Ω Omega 36mm Railmaster

They're all beautiful. After 6 years, I haven't seen a watch that would get me to give up my Skyfall AT--with the exception of the latest generation of the VC Overseas. But that's a whole 'nother level of cost!

Good luck on your hunt!

Cheers!
    fskywalker and mjrchabot like this.
    Bulova 1973 Deep Sea Chronograph "B"
    Seiko 7A38-7100
    Seiko Kinetic Sports 50 SKJ056
    Citizen Skyhawk A-T JY0000-53E
    Omega Seamaster "Skyfall" (blue) Aqua Terra 8500 231.10.39.21.03.001
    Tudor Pelagos Blue 25600TB
    Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Ultra Thin Moon Black Dial SS Q1368470
    Farer GMT Automatic Ponting
    Casio G-Shock GW-M530A

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by solesman View Post
    I just showed these 3 photos to the good lady and she pointed to the Skyfall as being her favourite. I asked why and she said it had a luxury look due to the blue tone of the dial and looked complete?

She liked the simplicity of the 2500. If the 2500 had a framed date she would’ve chosen that one.

She liked the Spectre like the Skyfall but thought it was missing something that she couldn’t explain.

The 8800 she didn’t like at all. The tone of the blue wasn’t dark enough and the lines across weren’t as nice as vertical.

In my opinion, Dan, the good lady is spot on in her analysis.

I would agree with everything she said, other than taking the 2500 over the Skyfall...even with a framed date window at 3. I just find the vertical teak pattern is so darned gorgeous.

Renť
    NMGE17 and fskywalker like this.
    Citizen Navihawk
    Momentum Supernova, Titan II (GONE--gifted to a friend's son), Aquamatic II (Blue Dial)
    OMEGA 1957 Trilogy Railmaster Co-Axial Master Chronometer (ref 220.10.38.20.01.002), Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch (ref 310.30.42.30.01.005), Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial Chronometer (ref 233.30.41.21.01.001)
    Seiko SKX007 (GONE--gifted to my uncle)
    Steinhart Marine Chronometer II Roman (Unitas 6498), Nav. B-Chrono II DLC (ETA Valjoux 7750)(SOLD), Nav. B-Uhr II (Unitas 6497)(SOLD), Ocean One Vintage (ETA 2824-2) (SOLD), Ocean One Vintage Red (ETA 2824-2) (SOLD)

That was quite the dilemma that you went through! I didn’t realise you picked up a Spectre AT also. I’ve pondered the whole date window thing and it’s an aesthetics thing for me. It looks fine having no window when the date is at 6, but at 3 like on the Spectre and it’s a little ‘bare’ to me?

I’ll keep pondering until an AT appears that I’m happy buying

Yeah -- I just didn't get around to posting about it. And the trouble now is deciding if I should let the 2503.80 go or hold onto it for largely sentimental reasons.

Re: the date window, horses for courses, I suppose. I'm not a fan of date windows at 6, and I think it's just because I'm used to seeing them at 3 (or occasionally, 4:30). And same goes for the frame -- I've seen/own/like so many watches with an unframed date window, that the frame hasn't really become a "must" for me as a result. But if it is for you and the better half says so, then that's a consensus!
    fskywalker likes this.

She liked the simplicity of the 2500. If the 2500 had a framed date she wouldíve chosen that one.

She liked the Spectre like the Skyfall but thought it was missing something that she couldnít explain.

The 8800 she didnít like at all. The tone of the blue wasnít dark enough and the lines across werenít as nice as vertical.

Well Dan had the 36mm AT (2504) on the blue dial and was really pretty, but the Skyfall wins over it !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Francisco
    Ω 2504.52 / 168.022 / 231.90.39.21.04.001
    ♛ 16610 / 18239
    ★ 03.2150.400/69

Aqua Terra Woes

Quote Originally Posted by Jetguy87 View Post
    Yeah -- I just didn't get around to posting about it. And the trouble now is deciding if I should let the 2503.80 go or hold onto it for largely sentimental reasons.

Re: the date window, horses for courses, I suppose. I'm not a fan of date windows at 6, and I think it's just because I'm used to seeing them at 3 (or occasionally, 4:30). And same goes for the frame -- I've seen/own/like so many watches with an unframed date window, that the frame hasn't really become a "must" for me as a result. But if it is for you and the better half says so, then that's a consensus!
    The 2503.80 is stunning. I owned one many years ago. I love photos of it showing the sunburst but sadly it doesnít look like that all the time. If you can keep both then do so

She only offers opinion but recognised that itís my wrist and taste that matters most. Skyfall looks the most likely though.

Dan

Current

Gone

Rolex Submariner 114060
    Ω Omega 36mm Railmaster

Quote Originally Posted by fskywalker View Post
    Well Dan had the 36mm AT (2504) on the blue dial and was really pretty, but the Skyfall wins over it !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Funnily enough I was looking at the 36mm 2500 blue AT. Same case as your RM Iím guessing? Tempting.

fskywalker likes this.
    Dan

Current

Gone

Rolex Submariner 114060
    Ω Omega 36mm Railmaster

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast