Automatic and manual winding - some basics explained - Page 4
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Automatic and manual winding - some basics explained

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Re: Automatic and manual winding - some basics explained

WUS: come for the pretty pictures, stay to actually learn something.

Thank you for the post.
    GaryF likes this.
    In matters of principle, stand like a rock; in matters of taste, swim with the current. - Thomas Jefferson

thank you very much for your post. I found it fascinating. Please post more threads like this in future explaining to people like me the working mechanics of the other parts of a watch as well.

Quote Originally Posted by lvt View Post
    Thanks for your very helpful answer, so do you think leaving the watch completely unwound when not in use instead of using a watch winder is a good measure to keep the mainspring in good shape ?
    Certainly the number of winding/unwinding cycles has an impact on the life of the spring, but honestly I would not worry about it.

Cheers, Al

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Dixan View Post
    Wait, I hope you don't mean that posts like mine above have been responsible for keeping you from posting as much as you probably would, without them. And I sincerely hope you did not take offense to me pointing that small detail out, as I certainly meant no offense to you by doing so. Quite the opposite, in fact. If anything, I thought I adequately expressed my appreciation and admiration for the effort you put into creating this thread. If that was not made clear enough before, please allow me to more clearly state that now: I found your post to be both informative and entertaining, and as someone who sometimes attempts to put together rather lengthy posts myself (though mine usually contain far less actually useful information), I can really appreciate how much effort you put into making your post. I simply figured you would be one who would appreciate accuracy, especially when discussing, in depth, things related to this little shared interest of ours....
    Hi Dixan,

No worries - I did add a smiley at the end of my sentence, and also said "no harm done" so don't sweat it mate. I do appreciate accuracy in things - that is what my life is about virtually every day, so thanks for the correction.

I do find sometimes the Omega forum is a bit testy, but over the last few weeks it seems more "calm" than it has been previously, which is a good thing in my view.

I'm glad everyone has found my post helpful, and when I get time I can certainly add other posts that help explain things. However I make my living at the bench, so needing to get watches done and back to my clinets does take priority.

Cheers, Al
    NT931 likes this.

Al, thanks for such a well-explained and illustrated post. Great that you included all the parts terminology, too. A good watch forum includes education for all knowledge levels and this was a wonderful contribution for one of the basic concepts.
    "My grail showed up today"

well done post, thanks much Al!

I'll add my thanks to the growing list. Excellent original post and thread.

I found the OP and this entire thread to be very educational, thanks to all! The knowledge shared in threads like this is one of the great things about this forum.

Awesome explanation of manual and automatic. The pictures say a thousand word. For someone who doesn't know much about the mechanisms of these types of watches, like myself can learn a lot. Thanks for the info.

TM4

Thanks ! So being that the inner walls of the barrel on the 8500 are DLC coated do you subscribe to the longer interval / less wear mantra?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information