Beware the JOMA - Page 3
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Beware the JOMA

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Re: Beware the JOMA

This happened to my rookie watch I purchased from an AD. I was a noob and didn't know better. 95% certain they sent me home with a scratch on the side of it. It was one of those "in certain light" things and I was too trusting. If I go the AD route again, I'm taking loupes with me.

As for the grey market, I suspect that some of the watches they get are less than perfect.
    Last edited by TellingTime; November 1st, 2018 at 16:38.

Banned

Always been iffy about JOMA and authentic watches and other online dealers...

Sounds like .... customer service from Jomashop.

However, if the you're happy with the rest of the watch, then don't worry about it. That scratch can be easily fixed, so stop banging your head against the wall. I think I understand how you feel, but forget about Joma, you had a bad buying experience with them and you should proabably never shop there again, but the wearing experience is independent of the wearing experience, so don't let one affect the other.

Just enjoy your watch! And remember that your wife was probably not a virgin when you met her, but she's still the best thing that ever happened to you (no idea if you're married, but you get what I mean).
    Londonboy likes this.
    Removing the Sent from my xPhone using Tapatalk spam from your signature is really easy. Please take a moment to do it.
    ---

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If you're worried about damaging it, stick to the Cap Cod cloths. It would be almost impossible to damage it with those, they're just too gentle.

Maybe if you polished for a solid month with one, you could round an edge. But in any realistic scenario they are foolproof.

I also recommend a headlamp, and a jeweller's loupe.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I think the OP is being ridiculous. You bought a gray market watch and you're crying about a scratch on the back of a lug?! If a tiny scratch bothers you enough to post on the internet then you should have gone to an AD. Furthermore, you buy a cape code cloth and polish it yourself.
    MBGuy and Don Draper like this.

That's a more than a scratch. I own a few Omega's and I can tolerate the unfortunate scratches that can accompany strap changes. That said, that amount of scratches is far from ideal on a "new" purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyDennison View Post
    Looks like someone without knowledge or skill scratched it removing or installing a bracelet. Why someone there would do I can't imagine, so I am guessing it was a returned item.

TDAttachment 13604619

There are multiple issues here. First, the OP may not know what a gray market dealer is. In short, a gray market dealer gets "new" watches from a variety of (mostly overseas) sources. They are getting watches that may be new, display or "new returned" watches.

The second issue is that when a purchase is made on the internet, it is virtually impossible to prove who put what damage where. I've seen people buy something in a store, damage it and return it (either to the store or they buy a second, identical item online and return the broken one.

Finally, a purchase needs to be inspected immediately. When I get an expensive item online, I video the unboxing and the inspection of the item. That way I have a better (but obviously not ironclad) chance of "proving" pre-existing damage. So far I've not had to use the videos

I purchased my Omega SMPC from Joma. Everything has worked out so far with the watch. It's is running within chronometer specs and had no damage upon arrival. The one thing that bothered me was when I first opened the box the crown wasn't screwed down. I paid $2875 for a 4400 retail watch. Would I purchase from joma again. If I we're saving 30+% probably.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cb1111 View Post
    There are multiple issues here. First, the OP may not know what a gray market dealer is. In short, a gray market dealer gets "new" watches from a variety of (mostly overseas) sources. They are getting watches that may be new, display or "new returned" watches.
    The second issue is that when a purchase is made on the internet, it is virtually impossible to prove who put what damage where. I've seen people buy something in a store, damage it and return it (either to the store or they buy a second, identical item online and return the broken one Finally, a purchase needs to be inspected immediately. When I get an expensive item online, I video the unboxing and the inspection of the item. That way I have a better (but obviously not ironclad) chance of "proving" pre-existing damage. So far I've not had to use the videos

"
    *** I know what the "grey market" is, but I also know what "New" means.***** concerning you experience with people returning different watches, I would have thought a store would check the serial numbers on a $5,000 watch. They, I assume, would check damage too. ***** as to the filming opening.....very good advice. I have learned my lesson, Thank you for your response.
    DERRRRRRRR

2018 Speedmaster
    1962 Seamaster
    1969 Speedmaster
    2011 2500D Planet Ocean
    Seiko SKX 007
    1998 Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow Reissue
    Poljot Chronograph
    Ginault Ocean-Rover 181070LSILN

Quote Originally Posted by Perseus View Post
    That's a more than a scratch. I own a few Omega's and I can tolerate the unfortunate scratches that can accompany strap changes. That said, that amount of scratches is far from ideal on a "new" purchase.
    I agree. Thank you for your sane response.

T
    DERRRRRRRR

2018 Speedmaster
    1962 Seamaster
    1969 Speedmaster
    2011 2500D Planet Ocean
    Seiko SKX 007
    1998 Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow Reissue
    Poljot Chronograph
    Ginault Ocean-Rover 181070LSILN

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information