Bezel removal advise please....
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Bezel removal advise please....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bezel removal advise please....

Hey guys, I have found a new replacement bezel for my Omega Mark 40 on ebay and was wondering if this a job I can do myself? Has anyone done and has some tips? I have read somewhere that the bezel can be removed with a thin knife or blade?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re: Bezel removal advise please....

I'm not 100% sure what part you have, but to change the bezel is not a DIY job. These Speedmaster date models are a bit different than a normal watch in their case construction. When you remove the whole bezel, you are removing the portion of the case that holds the crystal as well.

To change the bezel you would need to remove the bezel, but first, remove the movement from the case:

Now remove the bezel:

Next, press out the existing crystal:

Obtain a new crystal gasket, press the old crystal with the new gasket into the new bezel:

Install a new gasket between the case and bezel assembly:

Install the movement back in the case, so you can use the dial to align the bezel:

Then press the whole bezel onto the case, making sure it lines up perfectly with the dial:

Then of course replace the case back gasket, and press the case back onto the case.

In other words, the best advice I can give you is to not attempt this yourself.

Cheers, Al

Doesn't look like a glass of wine and putty knife kind of job.

I always love seeing your your posts Al. The whole process of disassembly and assembly of a watch is quite fascinating to see.
    lovebandit likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by flyinghell34 View Post
    Doesn't look like a glass of wine and putty knife kind of job.
    I can't think of one watchmaking task that this would be a good process actually... ;)

Glad you enjoy the posts. When I see questions like this, I am reminded of Donald Rumsfeld's speech about known knowns, etc.

"Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't know we don't know. And if one looks throughout the history of our country and other free countries, it is the latter category that tend to be the difficult ones.["

I always feel like these questions are in the last category - the "unknown unknowns" - people sometimes have no idea what they don't know about servicing a watch, or even a specific task like this one. It may seem simple at first glance (and to be clear none of this is rocket science by any means) but there is a lot more to it than what it appears to be on the surface.

So when someone asks how to change a bezel on a Speedmaster, the answer is a question right back - which Speedmaster? It's a very different thing on a Speedy Pro and a Speedy date as you can see.

Cheers, Al

Wow I did not think it would be that many steps! I definitely will not be attempting this myself, I will wait until I service the watch and have then do it then. Thanks Al!

Wow thanks for the pics Al. That's much more involved than I would have guessed.

The seller wrote on the listing "easy to follow installation instructions" I am interested to see what he sends..

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    I can't think of one watchmaking task that this would be a good process actually... ;)

Glad you enjoy the posts. When I see questions like this, I am reminded of Donald Rumsfeld's speech about known knowns, etc.

"Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't know we don't know. And if one looks throughout the history of our country and other free countries, it is the latter category that tend to be the difficult ones.["

I always feel like these questions are in the last category - the "unknown unknowns" - people sometimes have no idea what they don't know about servicing a watch, or even a specific task like this one. It may seem simple at first glance (and to be clear none of this is rocket science by any means) but there is a lot more to it than what it appears to be on the surface.

So when someone asks how to change a bezel on a Speedmaster, the answer is a question right back - which Speedmaster? It's a very different thing on a Speedy Pro and a Speedy date as you can see.

Cheers, Al
    Al, found the Part# OME-082SU1273

http://www.ofrei.com/shop-bin/sc/pro...d41bd36ab9458b

Quote Originally Posted by macotono View Post
    Al, found the Part# OME-082SU1273

Search Results for: 3520.50.00
    Well that's the part number that they use - the Omega part is simply 082SU1273.

Cheers, Al

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    Well that's the part number that they use - the Omega part is simply 082SU1273.

Cheers, Al
    PM sent Al

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information