Which Blue PO should I get
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Which Blue PO should I get

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I am trying to decide on my next watch. I know I want a blue PO. Thoughts on 8500 XL titanium or the 8900 43.5 in steel.

I love the idea of titanium and the light weight, but like the METAS movement better.

My wrist can handle the size of either. I used to have the black with orange numerals 8500 XL. My current watches are Speedmaster Sapphire Sandwich and Panerai PAM 320.

Thoughts?

Name:  wp_omega_seamaster_po_2017_2014_2.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  290.0 KB
    fskywalker likes this.

Re: Which Blue PO should I get

I’d opt for the newer 8900 movement, unless you are concerned with the weight. I have the black PO 8900 on the bracelet and wear it most days. I haven’t had any issues with weight but I do wear it tight on my wrist.

En cas d'absence, je ne suis pas là. Si vous n'êtes pas là non plus, il n'y a personne.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

En cas d'absence, je ne suis pas là. Si vous n'êtes pas là non plus, il n'y a personne.

there's not one thing from my 45.5 blue 8500 I'd trade for the newer ones, except, maybe, the date aperture,
    prefer the crisp angles on the 8900.

in case that's not your pic and you don't have a chance to do a side by side comparison, note that they are different down to the most minute detail, no matter how alike they may look in pics
    solesman likes this.

Thanks for the reply. That is not my pic and I have not seen the 8500 ti in person. I didn't try it on when I bought the black/orange 8500 several years ago.

The OB has the 8900 and the 8900 ti. The 8900 def looks like it has more bling. Wish i could do a side by side

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I was grappling with the same problem as yourself not too long ago.

Based purely on the "look" of both, i prefer the titanium 8500 version. The latest PO with the 8900 has a gloss blue Zr02 dial and with that ceramic bezel, it makes the the watch look (and possibly feel) overly like a piece of jewellery.

On the other hand, the titanium on the 8500 watch will eventually achieve a darkened hue (which i don't really find attractive) and any scuffs accumulated over time aren't as easy to polish off as they are on stainless steel. Plus the lightweight of titanium can seem incongruent with its size and thickness. But that's just how i feel.

Comparing both movements, there probably isn't much difference in chronometric virtue although the 8900 has a higher antimagnetic properties. The 8500 movement has more than enough of this property to begin with and is an incredibly stable movement. The PR is similar in both.

I got a little sick of this conundrum, made a U-turn, and got a dealer to hunt for the now-discontinued orange-bezelled 8500 watch.
    Seiko Citizen

I really dig the 8900 - it's a really nice watch. The antimagnetism of the newer movement is maybe a selling pint, but ultimately the difference is a matter of aesthetic preference and physical comfort, and you're the only one who can decide that.

When I got my PO, I went with the blue 8900 and have been very happy. Good luck with your choice - you can't go wrong either way.

Quote Originally Posted by tomatoes View Post
    I was grappling with the same problem as yourself not too long ago.

Based purely on the "look" of both, i prefer the titanium 8500 version. The latest PO with the 8900 has a gloss blue Zr02 dial and with that ceramic bezel, it makes the the watch look (and possibly feel) overly like a piece of jewellery.

On the other hand, the titanium on the 8500 watch will eventually achieve a darkened hue (which i don't really find attractive) and any scuffs accumulated over time aren't as easy to polish off as they are on stainless steel. Plus the lightweight of titanium can seem incongruent with its size and thickness. But that's just how i feel.

Comparing both movements, there probably isn't much difference in chronometric virtue although the 8900 has a higher antimagnetic properties. The 8500 movement has more than enough of this property to begin with and is an incredibly stable movement. The PR is similar in both.

I got a little sick of this conundrum, made a U-turn, and got a dealer to hunt for the now-discontinued orange-bezelled 8500 watch.
    The grade 5 titanium, as used on the PO, is amazing. It doesn’t darken and it’s very scratch resistant. It’s an awesome watch material.

The grade 2 titanium which was used in the Speedmaster Apollo 11 45th is very soft, darker and will darken more and scratches very easily.

The grades are very different.

HiggsBoson and hedet like this.

I prefer the 8500 model for these reasons:

The number font is rounder and more classic looking.
    The bezel doesn't have lots of hashes around the inner ring.
    I feel the grey hue of the grade 5 titanium suits the blue of the dial and bezel better.
    As for movement, the 8500 is a solid movement in it's own right. Sure the 8900 is meant to have better tolerances, but how it looks and feels on the wrist is far more important to me.
    Last edited by solesman; May 24th, 2019 at 12:16.
    GTTIME likes this.
    Dan

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ......
    My Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/barny.1976/

Current

Ω Omega Speedmaster 3592.50
    Ω Omega Planet Ocean Liquid Metal Limited Edition
    Apple Watch Series 3

Gone

Ω Omega Seamaster 300 60th Anniversary Limited Edition
    Rolex Submariner 114060
    Ω Omega 36mm Railmaster

Ω Omega Seamaster 300 Spectre Limited Edition
    Ω Omega 38mm Aqua Terra "Skyfall"
    Ω Omega Speedmaster 3873.50 Sapphire Sandwich
    Ω Omega Aqua Terra 39mm Starburst blue dial
    Ω Omega Planet Ocean 2209.50
    Ω Omega Seamaster 2254.50

With no direct experience myself, then based purely on MY instinctive reaction to the side by side image - the one on the right.

Nigel

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information