Bond Seamaster Reveal - Page 10
Like Tree243Likes

Thread: Bond Seamaster Reveal

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jason10mm View Post
    I hope they keep this in the films for 8-10 years like the 2531. Omega needs to slow down and let their designs cook a bit.

That said, a date version of this watch in steel at $5K would be AWESOME. Doesn't seem like it would be that hard to retrofit the existing steel seamasters with the bezel (love that lume!), dial, and solid caseback.

Anyone know what those numbers on the back are for? Is this a non-limited but numbered watch, or is that stuff just supposed to replicate a military style inventory tracking system?
    It’s not a limited edition. The numbers and symbol are explained in this article about the watch from jamesbondlifestyle.com. Here is the pertinent excerpt:

Engraved on the caseback is the MoD [British Ministry of Defense] arrow and a series of numbers, which follow the exact format for genuine military-issue watches.

The “0552” is the code-number specified for Navy personnel, with “923 7697” being the number for a divers’ watch. The letter “A” is a code used to signify a watch with a screw-in crown, while “007” is James Bond’s iconic agent number. Finally, the number “62” is the year of the very first James Bond film Dr No.

The new watch is completed by a NAIAD LOCK caseback, which keeps all of the engravings in correct alignment.

Where the SPECTRE Seamaster watch was limited to 7,007 pieces, this No Time To Die watch is not a Limited Edition.
    amuharemovic likes this.

Re: Bond Seamaster Reveal

I really like it. The price seems aggressive, but I doubt they'll have trouble selling them. I think my current 300mc is a better fit for me.

Name:  My Omega's.JPG
Views: 84
Size:  4.75 MB

I really like it as a whole, but yes, this does feel like a Pelagos LHD for more than twice the price.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Well, it's funny how we/I sometimes take a while to calm down after an initial reaction to a new watch, and really take time to do a serious appraisal. When I first saw the watch, I really loved all the features and the overall cool look of the piece. I thought I could get over the faux patina, as it suits the watch because of the vintage military heritage. But then I started to take a close look at all available photos, both on Omega's website and the various reviews. Then I realized that it is going to be the same faux patina that is on my Trilogy watches. To be honest, I agree that the faux patina is really just a different color used for the lumed areas, but I think it can be done with a lot less of the orange hue, and made a lot more subtle.

One reason I am selling two of my three Trilogy models is just that, the faux patina is just too dark and too much orange. It starts to get to me after a while. And it is possible to make it a lot more subtle like, for example the Tudor Pelagos LHD. And with the new 007 edition of the Seamaster, there is even more of it. A lot more. When I see the photos, it is all I am noticing.

Then there is the price. Here in Canada, $11,500cad. The regular 300M, with stainless steel bracelet, is $6500cad. Normally, a James Bond or 007 edition is around $1000 premium. In this case, I might even justify $2000 mainly because the titanium is more expensive and more difficult to work. But 5 grand is just too much. I don't mind spending good money on any watch, but I have to justify in my own mind that there is value. Another example: I love the IWC Big Pilot, and looked at it a few times. The price is $16,200cad, and in my mind it is a watch that should be selling for about $12,000. With the Seamaster 300M 007, IMO we are getting into the same thing. A watch that is $11,500cad should be around $8500 at most, a premium of 2 grand of the regular model. And, again, the faux patina is just far too overwhelming.

So, after my initial reaction soon after the watch was announced, I did a bit of homework and have decided no, this is not going to be the one for me.

Cheers,
    Carl
    Those who possess a sense of entitlement are seldom satis​fied.

Amen, besides you have that amazing H Moser to love

Quote Originally Posted by carlhaluss View Post
    Well, it's funny how we/I sometimes take a while to calm down after an initial reaction to a new watch, and really take time to do a serious appraisal. When I first saw the watch, I really loved all the features and the overall cool look of the piece. I thought I could get over the faux patina, as it suits the watch because of the vintage military heritage. But then I started to take a close look at all available photos, both on Omega's website and the various reviews. Then I realized that it is going to be the same faux patina that is on my Trilogy watches. To be honest, I agree that the faux patina is really just a different color used for the lumed areas, but I think it can be done with a lot less of the orange hue, and made a lot more subtle.

One reason I am selling two of my three Trilogy models is just that, the faux patina is just too dark and too much orange. It starts to get to me after a while. And it is possible to make it a lot more subtle like, for example the Tudor Pelagos LHD. And with the new 007 edition of the Seamaster, there is even more of it. A lot more. When I see the photos, it is all I am noticing.

Then there is the price. Here in Canada, $11,500cad. The regular 300M, with stainless steel bracelet, is $6500cad. Normally, a James Bond or 007 edition is around $1000 premium. In this case, I might even justify $2000 mainly because the titanium is more expensive and more difficult to work. But 5 grand is just too much. I don't mind spending good money on any watch, but I have to justify in my own mind that there is value. Another example: I love the IWC Big Pilot, and looked at it a few times. The price is $16,200cad, and in my mind it is a watch that should be selling for about $12,000. With the Seamaster 300M 007, IMO we are getting into the same thing. A watch that is $11,500cad should be around $8500 at most, a premium of 2 grand of the regular model. And, again, the faux patina is just far too overwhelming.

So, after my initial reaction soon after the watch was announced, I did a bit of homework and have decided no, this is not going to be the one for me.

Cheers,
    Carl
    Dan
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...........................................
    My Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/barny.1976/

Current

Ω Omega 38.5mm Aqua Terra "Skyfall": Ω Omega Planet Ocean Liquid Metal Limited Edition: Rolex Submariner 14060M Y Serial

Gone

Ω Omega Speedmaster 3592.50
    Ω Omega Seamaster 300 60th Anniversary Limited Edition
    Rolex Submariner 114060
    Ω Omega 36mm Railmaster

Ω Omega Seamaster 300 Spectre Limited Edition
    Ω Omega 38.5mm Aqua Terra "Skyfall"
    Ω Omega Speedmaster 3873.50 Sapphire Sandwich
    Ω Omega Aqua Terra 39mm Starburst blue dial
    Ω Omega Planet Ocean 2209.50
    Ω Omega Seamaster 2254.50

Quote Originally Posted by carlhaluss View Post
    Manufacturers really need to get the color right on the aged lume. I think the color is perfect on the 300mc (no orange, a little cream) while the Pelogos is too yellow, and looks like it was soaked in urine. This Seamaster looks like it went more orange for a greater aged look, like the photo below. I like it, but I won't be buying it. In a small collection I don't see myself wanting more than one watch with faux patina.

Name:  RPR_6200-PST-LR-07.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  74.3 KB
    carlhaluss likes this.

Don’t know guys, this could go both ways...they could sell like hot cakes, or the price will throw a lot of people into NAAH, NO. If the price drops significantly, I kinda like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Perseus View Post
    Manufacturers really need to get the color right on the aged lume. I think the color is perfect on the 300mc (no orange, a little cream) while the Pelogos is too yellow, and looks like it was soaked in urine. This Seamaster looks like it went more orange for a greater aged look, like the photo below. I like it, but I won't be buying it. In a small collection I don't see myself wanting more than one watch with faux patina.

Name:  RPR_6200-PST-LR-07.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  74.3 KB
    After seeing this pic, it does remind me of others I have seen. And I think they were really trying to go for more of that "rusty" shade. The 300mc is just about right. I can forgive the faux patina on my Railmaster Trilogy, as it was a grail watch of mine for so many years. And I am taking full advantage of the color by getting a couple of leather straps that really look good with it. Like you, I kind of feel that I will end up with only 1 watch with faux patina, and that is my Railmaster.

Name:  Railmaster.JPEG
Views: 75
Size:  893.8 KB

Name:  RM4.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  2.93 MB

To be honest, I am really picking on the new 007 a lot more than I normally would. Simply because I can in no way justify the price. I have spent a lot on watches over time, and I don't mind spending 10k or more on a watch, as long as I can justify the value. I might even try harder to like the faux patina if the price was in keeping with my sense of value.

I will admit that in my pics here, the patina does look closer to the vintage Rolex in your pic.

Cheers,
    Carl
    LordBrettSinclair likes this.
    Those who possess a sense of entitlement are seldom satis​fied.

glg

Very beautiful , I love it , but very pricey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This whole thing kinda exemplifies my love / hate relationship with Omega. The Railmaster and the retro Seamaster reissue are totally on the money, but so many others... aren't, and get so much so wrong. To my eye, obviously, YMMV.

Then again, that stealth-Speedy with the mustard colour indices is a guilty pleasure. And I still lust over the Speedy Mk II reissue with the racing dial.

But at this price, and that godawful Milanese bracelet? This is a big ol' no from me.
    carlhaluss and blackcutlass like this.
    The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread Information