Bond Seamaster Reveal - Page 14
Like Tree243Likes

Thread: Bond Seamaster Reveal

Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast

Re: Bond Seamaster Reveal

My first impressions are this piece looks like peak vintage down to the bezel that's engineered specifically to age quickly (which in a normal context would typically be considered a flaw, no?). But it's perhaps a year or two too late to catch the crest of the vintage trend. There are so many lesser brands or even microbrands putting out really excellent vintage or vintage-inspired dive watches these days for a fraction of the price of what Omega is asking for this that I can't get too excited about it. And I'm a person who adores the vintage look on a diver. But I don't see why I would choose this over the many, many, many vintage- and heritage-inspired pieces available in the $500-2000 range.
    Last edited by eudaimonean; December 9th, 2019 at 01:44.
    I'm a dirty flipper:
    My favorite part of this hobby is the journey of experiencing multiple different watches as I flip my way through the horological universe. I'm constantly rotating through pieces, few of which become "keepers" but all of which I'm glad to have owned for a while. I find some things to appreciate about each watch I wear they each teach me more about my preferences and tastes... >>>
    https://www.instagram.com/chrono.anachronist/

Holy cow some people really realllly analyze a new piece lol. If you have to think that much about it then it’s usually a NO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    carlhaluss likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by carlhaluss View Post
    Lots of good comments! I was out for most of the day, and when I came home my Railmaster was lying on my bedside table. Which I wore with pride, along with a new crocodile leather strap I got, last night at the Omega Boutique Christmas party. I do really like the watch and, yes, it and my FOIS I will definitely hang on to, at least for the time being. Perhaps in time I will find a peace with Omega. A similar thing happened to me with Panerai recently (not the scenario but the feeling), and I made my peace by realizing it takes way more energy to be angry and negative than to try and find a positive compromise. Only time will tell.

I do feel very strongly that Omega is taking unfair advantage with the 007, of course if someone loves the watch and is willing to pay the price, and gets enjoyment out of it, then I am not criticizing them personally. I think that the morally correct thing for Omega to do (which, of course, will never, ever happen) is to admit they have grossly inflated the price of this model, and a fair price would be more like a grand or even two over the regular model (I am talking in Canadian$ here, where the price difference is 5 grand).

Anyway, I am sure you guys are tired of my rants, so that's it for now! Hope you all have a great weekend.

Cheers,
    Carl
    For a little more perspective, the titanium Planet Ocean MSRP is $2,600 higher than the standard model. This Seamaster is $4,000 higher than the standard Seamaster Pro on the bracelet.

When you factor in the small Bond additions and a little more flamboyant packaging, the $1,400 delta isn't THAT egregious. In my opinion at least.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    carlhaluss and NMGE17 like this.
    Instagram: @watchonmywrist

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Common sense prevailed! I was ecstatic when I first saw the watch. When I actually took the time to learn all I could about it, including price and value, it started to dawn on me. Just as many people on these forums are enablers, they are also guys who have valuable opinions, and sometimes it takes reading a few threads to realize that maybe my initial quick evaluation of a watch bears a lot more thought.

Cheers,
    Carl
    That I understand just didn't understand how this one would sour you on omega overall. Fine if it does just didn't get it.
    carlhaluss likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterthere View Post
    That I understand just didn't understand how this one would sour you on omega overall. Fine if it does just didn't get it.
    Not just this, but a build up of different things over the past couple of years. I won't go into more details. I guess this was just the last straw, although I am getting back on track a bit more now, and thinking why would this be so disappointing to me? I suppose at one time or another we all have things that upset us. Then we sit back and wonder why we let such a thing upset us. That's kind of the stage I'm at now. Not usually like me to let something bug me so much. It does take so much energy to be negative about something, and so much less energy to turn the other cheek and maybe even turn it into something positive.

I remember years ago, prior to 2009, when Omega removed the Authorized Dealer status from my favorite AD here in town. He is the owner, and he had even been schooled in watchmaking by Omega in Switzerland. And had a great relationship with Omega for many years here. A wonderful gentleman, and a good friend, and I was upset both with Omega and also because he was so upset. I ended up sending a letter to the CEO in Switzerland. And he actually replied, attempting to explain their direction and why they were concentrating on having fewer ADs and going to Boutiques. Anyway, I was still upset.

A couple of years later, I went into the Omega Boutique. I had wonderful service, and made good friends with one of the Associates. Although he no longer works there, but I have become friends with most of the other Associates as well. And I have been a customer there for over 7 years.

By now you probably think I'm nuts! I will get past this, and who knows, maybe one day I will actually end up buying the new Seamaster 007! (not likely)

Cheers,
    Carl
    NMGE17 likes this.
    Those who possess a sense of entitlement are seldom satis​fied.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowa_Watchman View Post
    For a little more perspective, the titanium Planet Ocean MSRP is $2,600 higher than the standard model. This Seamaster is $4,000 higher than the standard Seamaster Pro on the bracelet.

When you factor in the small Bond additions and a little more flamboyant packaging, the $1,400 delta isn't THAT egregious. In my opinion at least.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Good way of looking at it. Very reasonable. Of course, it sounds like a lot more in CAD (5000).
    Iowa_Watchman likes this.
    Those who possess a sense of entitlement are seldom satis​fied.

Not just this, but a build up of different things over the past couple of years. I won't go into more details. I guess this was just the last straw, although I am getting back on track a bit more now, and thinking why would this be so disappointing to me? I suppose at one time or another we all have things that upset us. Then we sit back and wonder why we let such a thing upset us. That's kind of the stage I'm at now. Not usually like me to let something bug me so much. It does take so much energy to be negative about something, and so much less energy to turn the other cheek and maybe even turn it into something positive.

I remember years ago, prior to 2009, when Omega removed the Authorized Dealer status from my favorite AD here in town. He is the owner, and he had even been schooled in watchmaking by Omega in Switzerland. And had a great relationship with Omega for many years here. A wonderful gentleman, and a good friend, and I was upset both with Omega and also because he was so upset. I ended up sending a letter to the CEO in Switzerland. And he actually replied, attempting to explain their direction and why they were concentrating on having fewer ADs and going to Boutiques. Anyway, I was still upset.

A couple of years later, I went into the Omega Boutique. I had wonderful service, and made good friends with one of the Associates. Although he no longer works there, but I have become friends with most of the other Associates as well. And I have been a customer there for over 7 years.

By now you probably think I'm nuts! I will get past this, and who knows, maybe one day I will actually end up buying the new Seamaster 007! (not likely)

Cheers,
    Carl
    No I know you too well here on wus to think you are nuts. Well maybe we all are to some extent. My first nice watch was omega so always have a soft spot for them. Bought more rolexes than Omegas in last few years myself. I think omega is trying to keep or find the correct direction in the watch world. Onward.
    NMGE17 and carlhaluss like this.

Cheers,
    Carl
    No I know you too well here on wus to think you are nuts. Well maybe we all are to some extent. My first nice watch was omega so always have a soft spot for them. Bought more rolexes than Omegas in last few years myself. I think omega is trying to keep or find the correct direction in the watch world. Onward.

I read most of the first page comments about this watch and it seems to have gotten a favourable response, for the most part.
    I don't have anything new to add, really, suffice to say that it's a nicely made watch, but it doesn't float my boat.

In a nutshell...

Name:  omega-seamaster-diver-300m-21090422001001-l.png
Views: 78
Size:  687.8 KB
    apologies for the poor layout of the arrows.

The hands, the hands. Yes, I get that this watch is a link to the Seamaster of the Brosnan era (which I have), but Omega could have borrowed from their own past DNA and put lume-filled swords on this watch and it would have made more sense (to me, anyway). Would have made for a bolder looking watch, too.

A slightly smaller case would be nice, too, but I'd imagine that this would bloat the overall size of the watch due to Omega movements not exactly being slim.

As for the pricing, well Omega decided a long time ago to reach for the stars and, even if I absolutely loved this watch, I couldn't justify the price.

Still, I'm glad that it will be a regular production model for those of you who plan on getting one.

I hope this is the only watch that we see on DC's wrist in the movie. This two-watches-in-every-film (almost) schtick was beginning to bug me.

Good luck and all the best to those of you who snag one of these!
    -teeritz-

Sent from the typing pool of the Double-O Section.

My other distractions---> https://teeritz.blogspot.com.au/

tinzer0 on Instagram

This Seamaster 300M 007 Edition is a rip-off to not just me, but to a loyal client base. I just feel I can no longer support the brand. They do make very good watches. But so do other companies. I don’t mind spending good money, but when I feel I am being taken advantage of or ripped off, I have to get out.
    Each to their own yet it does seem like a bit of an overreaction to get out of the brand because one model is being sold overpriced.

Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast

Thread Information