Bond Seamaster Reveal - Page 20
Like Tree243Likes

Thread: Bond Seamaster Reveal

Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast

Re: Bond Seamaster Reveal

Quote Originally Posted by TaTaToothy View Post
    To be fair, the end links and bezel of the Tudor S&G are solid gold, and there is a considerable amount of gold on the crown and links. I've read that the total amount of gold by weight is more than on a five-digit two-tone Datejust.
    The interview I read, which was with Tudor officials, stated the gold thickness on the various "gold" parts. The thickest layers were on the crown and bezel. The thinnest were on the links. There were no solid gold parts. Based on the thicknesses they quoted, I can tell you that the center links on my 16233 are way thicker.
    Datejust 116233 • Datejust 16233 • Ω SMPc 212.30.36.20.01.002 • DOXA SUB1000T Project Aware 23/92 • T035.410.11.051.00

Quote Originally Posted by iinsic View Post
    The interview I read, which was with Tudor officials, stated the gold thickness on the various "gold" parts. The thickest layers were on the crown and bezel. The thinnest were on the links. There were no solid gold parts. Based on the thicknesses they quoted, I can tell you that the center links on my 16233 are way thicker.
    Interesting. Do you have a link to that? Everything I've read states that the end links and bezel are solid. See, e.g., https://watchesbysjx.com/2017/03/han...ef-79733n.html and https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/tu...ld-introducing

Tudor has opted for what it calls "gold-capped" components, but what you might know this technique from the vintage watch world as "gold-fill." We could get into the gritty details of how this is done, but what you need to know is that the result is a thicker, more durable layer of gold. In the case of the crown, there's .6mm of gold, and in the case of the links there is .25mm of gold. Both the end links and the bezel are solid gold.
    I don't own one of these watches (though I do own two other Tudors and two Omegas), so I don't really have a dog in the fight - just reposting what I have read.

Quote Originally Posted by TaTaToothy View Post
    Interesting. Do you have a link to that? Everything I've read states that the end links and bezel are solid. See, e.g., https://watchesbysjx.com/2017/03/han...ef-79733n.html and https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/tu...ld-introducing

I don't own one of these watches (though I do own two other Tudors and two Omegas), so I don't really have a dog in the fight - just reposting what I have read.
    The bezel they're referring to is the 1926, which practically would be almost as cheap to produce in solid gold as in gold-filled. It is quite light (even DJ bezels are not that substantial).

As for the endlinks, even Rolex two-tone endlinks are not "solid gold." Rather, a small gold part is fused to a much larger stainless part (the five-digit DJs did not even have that small amount of gold, so this technique - developed for the six-digit two-tone watches - is a definite improvement). Like the bezel, it would be easy for Rolex to duplicate this process in the Tudor, albeit with a lot less gold content.

And you really need to think about how thin ผ mm of gold actually is. It's about the thickness of the letters in this post.

Omega took a lot of heat a few years back (including from me) because their two-tone links were not solid gold. Instead, they wrapped (and bonded) about a 2mm sheet of gold to a steel core. The Omega "gold" center links did indeed have a thickness roughly equivalent to the center links on a 16233 (which were hollow). There was more than enough gold for refinishing in future services. In fact, I've never heard of an Omega gold-wrapped center link wearing through after polishing.

The objection to Omega then was that they failed to point out that they were wrapping gold around a steel core, and not providing a solid-gold link (they obviously learned their lesson, because their current two-tone offerings have solid gold links). That is the same objection I now have to Tudor, which has similarly downplayed their miserliness. The difference is that one refinishing is going to remove almost all of that puny ผ mm of gold, making a Tudor a much poorer investment than an older two-tone Omega.

A two-tone Tudor is now unmistakably a "poor man's Rolex."
    TSC likes this.
    Datejust 116233 • Datejust 16233 • Ω SMPc 212.30.36.20.01.002 • DOXA SUB1000T Project Aware 23/92 • T035.410.11.051.00

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

A couple of live shots from the model at the Omega boutique this weekend. Very beautiful watch but agree with many others here regarding the unreasonable price tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The mesh bracelet alone is a work of art. Totally unlike any other mesh bracelets out there..
    GreatScott likes this.
    DW Classic St Mawes/Emporio Armani AR5860/Jorg Gray 6500 Commemorative Edition/Nautica NCS 600 N15016G/ΩOmega SMP/ΩOmega Seamaster Aqua Terra/ΩOmega Seamaster 300MC/Seiko Diver SKX007K/Seiko 5 SNKE51K1/Steinhart Ocean 39 Vintage GMT Premium/Steinhart Ocean One 39 Black Ceramic/Tissot Le Locle Automatic

Quote Originally Posted by imranbecks View Post
    The mesh bracelet alone is a work of art. Totally unlike any other mesh bracelets out there..
    Funny you say that. Aesthetically it’s very pleasing. In the pictures it’s so cool. In person and upon wearing, it’s rather stiff. I wish it was a bit softer and more pliable.

Bond Seamaster Reveal

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoKing View Post
    A couple of live shots from the model at the Omega boutique this weekend. Very beautiful watch but agree with many others here regarding the unreasonable price tag.

That arrow symbol at 6 o'clock actually looks a bit annoying in real life photos.

Looks great without the HE valve

iinsic likes this.
    Dan
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...........................................
    My Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/barny.1976/

Current

Ω Omega 38.5mm Aqua Terra "Skyfall": Ω Omega Planet Ocean Liquid Metal Limited Edition: Rolex Submariner 14060M Y Serial

Gone

Ω Omega Speedmaster 3592.50
    Ω Omega Seamaster 300 60th Anniversary Limited Edition
    Rolex Submariner 114060
    Ω Omega 36mm Railmaster

Ω Omega Seamaster 300 Spectre Limited Edition
    Ω Omega 38.5mm Aqua Terra "Skyfall"
    Ω Omega Speedmaster 3873.50 Sapphire Sandwich
    Ω Omega Aqua Terra 39mm Starburst blue dial
    Ω Omega Planet Ocean 2209.50
    Ω Omega Seamaster 2254.50

In person and upon wearing, [the mesh bracelet is] rather stiff. I wish it was a bit softer and more pliable.
    Perhaps if they hadn't made it of such a cheap grade of titanium?

In person and upon wearing, [the mesh bracelet is] rather stiff. I wish it was a bit softer and more pliable.
    Perhaps if they hadn't made it of such a cheap grade of titanium?

Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast