Buying watches in Japan - Page 2
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Buying watches in Japan

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Buying watches in Japan

I got a great deal on an Aqua Terra Annual Calendar from Japan.

I just returned from a week in Japan, alas, no time for watch shopping. I was told Bic Camera carries a wide variety of watch brands, including Omega, both new and pre-owned. I stopped in a small shop in Kyoto that had many vintage Seamasters, but I had no time to check them out. We plan to go back in a couple years with a less regimented schedule. From what I've heard, Japan is a great second hand market, but research where the shops are before you go to maximize your time there.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tnjohn View Post
    I just returned from a week in Japan, alas, no time for watch shopping. I was told Bic Camera carries a wide variety of watch brands, including Omega, both new and pre-owned. I stopped in a small shop in Kyoto that had many vintage Seamasters, but I had no time to check them out. We plan to go back in a couple years with a less regimented schedule. From what I've heard, Japan is a great second hand market, but research where the shops are before you go to maximize your time there.

Bic cameras have a vast selection of dolce quarts, brights, and presage Seikos. Additionally, casios, Oceanus, edifice, and some fashion brands. A lot of these are 10-30% off retail. Bic Camera is my go-to place to get the cheaper seikos. Most will carry a semi decent selection of Omegas. However, only the speedmasters are at prices comparable to the reputable gray market dealers. Their seamasters are usually somewhat higher. They also have a few models of grand seikos, Cartier, and Longines. Bic camera is the best place to get low to midrange seikos in my opinion.

The best gray market dealer in my opinion is Jack Road in Nakano, Tokyo. They are overall, the most reputable gray market operation in Japan and the largest such brick and mortar shop. They have the largest selection I've yet seen and they have English speaking staff. Also their prices are consistently the lowest I've found for every model of every brand in the Tokyo area. However, sometimes they are out of stock for the more in-demand references. They have new watches which come with the international warranty and boxes and they also have second hand and vintage watches at competitive prices. I bought my omegas here. You can call them and reserve any piece for free for up to a week. 10% downpayment for up to a month and full payment for up to 2 months I think. Also, you can buy tax free if you're visiting the country. A quick search of Jack Road on google will lead you to the website. It's all in Japanese so you'll need a browser translator to navigate if you don't speak Japanese. Clicking "English" at the top will lead you away from the products page into a general information page.

Quarks is a highly reputable gray market dealer chain selling mostly Rolexes. Their prices are a bit higher, but they have a LOT of Rolexes. They offer a 12 year warranty at a premium price, but not too useful I think if your just doing tourism horological purchases. They are located in many central areas in Tokyo, such as Shinjuku and Ginza.

TheWatchCompany is a smaller shop in in Nakano near Jack Road. I've taken a gander there and their prices seem a shade higher than Jack Road. Overall they have a smaller selection compared to Jack Road. However, they will have a few models available that Might be out of stock at Jack Road. They also have a LOT of Rolexes. I counted 10 Hulks and 15 Batmans when I was there earlier this month.

Satin Doll in Ueno is also pretty nice and well regarded. Never been there, but I have perused their site. Their offerings are competitive with Jack Road in terms of price, but they have far fewer models.

There are dozens more in Tokyo alone. Some specializing in vintage only. Happy hunting!

If you're here in Tokyo on a Sunday and want to go watch hunting, let me know. I'm always looking for an excuse to go. I'd be pretty inclined to check out some vintage shops.
    cybercat likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy2101 View Post
    Bic cameras have a vast selection of dolce quarts, brights, and presage Seikos. Additionally, casios, Oceanus, edifice, and some fashion brands. A lot of these are 10-30% off retail. Bic Camera is my go-to place to get the cheaper seikos. Most will carry a semi decent selection of Omegas. However, only the speedmasters are at prices comparable to the reputable gray market dealers. Their seamasters are usually somewhat higher. They also have a few models of grand seikos, Cartier, and Longines. Bic camera is the best place to get low to midrange seikos in my opinion.

The best gray market dealer in my opinion is Jack Road in Nakano, Tokyo. They are overall, the most reputable gray market operation in Japan and the largest such brick and mortar shop. They have the largest selection I've yet seen and they have English speaking staff. Also their prices are consistently the lowest I've found for every model of every brand in the Tokyo area. However, sometimes they are out of stock for the more in-demand references. They have new watches which come with the international warranty and boxes and they also have second hand and vintage watches at competitive prices. I bought my omegas here. You can call them and reserve any piece for free for up to a week. 10% downpayment for up to a month and full payment for up to 2 months I think. Also, you can buy tax free if you're visiting the country. A quick search of Jack Road on google will lead you to the website. It's all in Japanese so you'll need a browser translator to navigate if you don't speak Japanese. Clicking "English" at the top will lead you away from the products page into a general information page.

Quarks is a highly reputable gray market dealer chain selling mostly Rolexes. Their prices are a bit higher, but they have a LOT of Rolexes. They offer a 12 year warranty at a premium price, but not too useful I think if your just doing tourism horological purchases. They are located in many central areas in Tokyo, such as Shinjuku and Ginza.

TheWatchCompany is a smaller shop in in Nakano near Jack Road. I've taken a gander there and their prices seem a shade higher than Jack Road. Overall they have a smaller selection compared to Jack Road. However, they will have a few models available that Might be out of stock at Jack Road. They also have a LOT of Rolexes. I counted 10 Hulks and 15 Batmans when I was there earlier this month.

Satin Doll in Ueno is also pretty nice and well regarded. Never been there, but I have perused their site. Their offerings are competitive with Jack Road in terms of price, but they have far fewer models.

There are dozens more in Tokyo alone. Some specializing in vintage only. Happy hunting!

If you're here in Tokyo on a Sunday and want to go watch hunting, let me know. I'm always looking for an excuse to go. I'd be pretty inclined to check out some vintage shops.
    Thanks, it would be fun to shop there with a fellow collector

Is it customary and acceptable to bargain with Japanese retailers? Are the retailers in Nakano open to offers?

My experience was that price was not a socially acceptable topic but you could sneak it in if you asked the right questions at the right times.

Having said that I didn't have to bargain as the existing prices I found on watches I was interested in were already much lower with the tax and extra shop discounts to become competitive with prices I had in mind.

It's cut throat stuff.

I found taking pictures of watches and asking about price matches to begin with helped get me the best models (loupe examination) I could find.

Secondhand and vintage are usually open to a bit of negotiation. Although not by much from what I've learned. The really expensive pieces might have more room as it is much harder for them to sell. There's a PP Celestial in Nakano that hasn't moved so I'm assuming they might consider reasonable offers. The new items are really not negotiable. Maybe if you find the same item somewhere else in Tokyo for less and you showed proof then it might be. I didn't negotiate on my new purchases as they were already a pretty big bargain to begin with.

@Jeremy2101 - thanks for these tips.

I'm heading to Tokyo for a few days later this week. Staying in Ginza. It's my first time to Japan and I'm keen to check out these watches:

1) New watches for a friend: Junghans Meister Pilot and Seiko Samurai JDM

2) Used watches for me: Omega Seamaster 2264 / 2254 / 2265 (basically the large triangle, wave dial, sword hands series) AND watches from the Seiko 6138 / 6139 series

https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-o...uartz-22645000)

My questions are:

Where are the specialty places for the used watches in #2 above?

Do I need to travel to Nagano or can I find just as good places in Ginza?

Any advice from Jeremy2101 or others appreciated!

fskywalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ext1 View Post
    Well, you gotta make sure you don't get caught by the customs people, or else you pay the taxes.
    Theres a word for that, it’s called smuggling. Making a false customs declaration has serious consequences. Even more so if you talk about your intentions to do it on a public forum, beforehand.

Some fantastic Japanese Omega's like the racing chrono.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information