Calibre 321 Back In Production - Page 10
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: Calibre 321 Back In Production

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Re: Calibre 321 Back In Production

Quote Originally Posted by Black5 View Post
    Interesting move from Omega.

I see this as a shift to move the brand upmarket with a hand built watch.

I don't think it likely they will go to this sort of trouble to introduce anything anywhere near "affordable", or to create a spare parts pool that is available externally.

I also don't see much likelihood of these undoubtedly very costly new variants being bastardized for parts as they will likely appeal to a whole new range of collectors and will be valuable to them in their own right.

Depending on the price point, and the styling, they may shift some potential buyers of vintage pieces into these instead, but this won't affect the demand for the best quality originals which will still be irreplaceable and may even augment the collections of those who desire the vintage pieces.

At best, if they are lucky, and capacity exists, Omega might use the opportunity to offer an in-house repair/refurbishment capability to original 321 equipped watches - at a hefty premium of course.

As such, the negative impact on owners of original pieces is likely to be minimal or non-existent, and the new marketing which will surely support this will only INCREASE awareness of the historical calibre and drive the market for original vintage pieces upwards!

Just my 2c...

So many watches, So little time...
    Interesting to see how some of the predictions in this thread turned out.

Obviously Omega already offers a repair/refurbishment facility so this was off, but how about some of the other predictions?
    So many watches, so little time...

I'm not a big 321 movement nerd, so I don't get the hype. I just hope the money they make off of it is used for R&D to make their new co-axial movements thinner.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterWatchGuy View Post
    I'm not a big 321 movement nerd, so I don't get the hype. I just hope the money they make off of it is used for R&D to make their new co-axial movements thinner.
    It's just that it's the original that went to the moon. Different beat rate and has a column wheel instead of the CAM. I'd happily grab one if they chucked it in an SS case even though I already have the 1863 version.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Thread Information