Calibre 321 Back In Production - Page 6
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: Calibre 321 Back In Production

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Re: Calibre 321 Back In Production

The article states the pros&cons of each including that the turret teeth can break. That's why there are warnings on some modern (non-flyback) chronos to be sure the stopwatch is stopped prior to resetting. Virtually no one can break the cam.

If there are any typos in this post, I blame Tapatalk!

Wow! I must admit, when I first read about this, I told myself not to get excited. Well, now I am excited! I can see enough material generated by the revival of the 321 to keep me going for months! And I suppose I am not the only one who has started to consider which watches in his/her collection will have to be sold! I'm afraid my watch fund purse is empty right now! Nevertheless, I think I am going to enjoy keeping tabs on this 321 subject for a long time!
    umarrajs likes this.
    Those who possess a sense of entitlement are seldom satis​fied.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Day View Post
    By almost any measure that a watch enthusiast would measure a calibre the 321 is the more desirable calibre. Claiming otherwise is pure ignorence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    From a traditional perspective of watch collecting, there is no arguing a column wheel has more value add than a cam lever.

However, coming from the standpoint of a middle-income wage earner barely being able to afford this hobby, especially since I live in a third world country, I value pragmatism too. On this alone, I'd take a 1861 now, and save column wheel chronos for when I can actually afford them and rainy day fund for their service costs.
    oso2276 and praetor47 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by GrouchoM View Post
    The article states the pros&cons of each including that the turret teeth can break. That's why there are warnings on some modern (non-flyback) chronos to be sure the stopwatch is stopped prior to resetting. Virtually no one can break the cam.

I'm not disputing this one reletively small advantage. What in claiming is the many more that the column wheel has over a cam.

Mavan Enthusiast
    ~~~~~~~~~~~

The time is secondary.

Quote Originally Posted by shelfcompact View Post
    They digitally scanned a true space Speedmaster to see inside... lol.
    As if it’s going to be different from any other 321 calibres of the same era.
    Apart from that, there's much talk on how hyperbole that Omega article is. 2 years' dedication from a team working in total secrecy, to the point of having had to use code names for the project, all for a historic movement that was based on the Lemania 2310, that's NEVER BEEN OUT OF PRODUCTION.

Quote Originally Posted by Estilo View Post
    From a traditional perspective of watch collecting, there is no arguing a column wheel has more value add than a cam lever.

However, coming from the standpoint of a middle-income wage earner barely being able to afford this hobby, especially since I live in a third world country, I value pragmatism too. On this alone, I'd take a 1861 now, and save column wheel chronos for when I can actually afford them and rainy day fund for their service costs.
    Agree and not being disputed.

Mavan Enthusiast
    ~~~~~~~~~~~

The time is secondary.

You might want to read Archer's opinions on the (non) benefit of the 321 - https://omegaforums.net/threads/321-...ollo-11.87791/

It's not that it's not a great movement, it's just that it's not any better than the 1861.

Quote Originally Posted by GrouchoM View Post
    You might want to read Archer's opinions on the (non) benefit of the 321 - https://omegaforums.net/threads/321-...ollo-11.87791/

It's not that it's not a great movement, it's just that it's not any better than the 1861.

Yep. I could call your card with this one...

https://www.watchtime.com/blog/frate...aph-movements/

Mavan Enthusiast
    ~~~~~~~~~~~

The time is secondary.

Quote Originally Posted by Estilo View Post
    Would you elaborate how the 321 is inferior to the current 1861?
    Why else would Omega have switched to the 1861 in the first place? Lets see, they would have marketed the 1861 as being the better movement or they would be selling inferior watches at increased prices. Regardless how any enthusiast shakes it, the 321 isn't better, and they are going to be charging a premium for it. Poorer performance and a higher cost.
    fskywalker likes this.
    Current: Apple Watch, G-Shock, Damasko DA37

Gone but not forgotten: Way too many to remember!

Quote Originally Posted by kamonjj View Post
    The holding a candle to the Daytona notion is laughable. Omega is bringing back a movement inferior to the current offering and charging a premium. Sounds about right. Let’s all jump in ...... not.
    If movement superiority was the only yardstick then in house Tudors would (for now) be ‘better’ than Rolex counterparts.

But even if the Daytona has a superior movement to a hand assembled and presumably extra specially finished 321 - and most people’s fallback for arguing superiority, a column wheel mechanism seemingly as an end in itself, is in place - that isn’t the yardstick.

Whether a 321 will compete at a Daytona price point will be determined pretty much solely by how effective Omega’s marketing is, coupled with throttling of supply. I would be surprised if they pull it off because I expect that the crown has more marketing value than the moon connection - but that will be the determining factor.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread Information