Can anyone shed some light on the differences in the various 2500 movements? B, C, D etc...
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Can anyone shed some light on the differences in the various 2500 movements? B, C, D etc...

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Can anyone shed some light on the differences in the various 2500 movements? B, C, D etc...

If it's a link to an older thread or an article or something that would be great. Or if you know and can post them here that is great too. I thought there was a thread about that but I've searched on the forum and searched on google and can't really find anything that lines out the differences by version. Help would be appreciated...
    MITVPHD likes this.
    Omega Planet Ocean (2500D)
    Hamilton Khaki Auto Chrono
    Tissot LeLocle Chrono
    Seiko Arctura Kinetic
    Seiko

Re: Can anyone shed some light on the differences in the various 2500 movements? B, C, D etc...

I'd like to know too. And if you don't mind, how the 8500 compares to them, and what specifically makes it better as everyone says. If not in this thread than another maybe, as to not hijack this one.

Re: Can anyone shed some light on the differences in the various 2500 movements? B, C, D etc...

Quote Originally Posted by mazman01 View Post
    I'd like to know too. And if you don't mind, how the 8500 compares to them, and what specifically makes it better as everyone says. If not in this thread than another maybe, as to not hijack this one.
    Feel free to discuss that here. Just keep in mind theere is a 2500 vs 8500 thread already on the omega front page.
    Omega Planet Ocean (2500D)
    Hamilton Khaki Auto Chrono
    Tissot LeLocle Chrono
    Seiko Arctura Kinetic
    Seiko

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

On a side note. the Planet Ocean only has had the 2500C movement from its introduction. It has recently received the 2500D movement. Only time will tell what if any advantages or disadvantages the 2500D movement has over the 2500C.
    Jonnyt likes this.

Celestias likes this.
    Datejust 116233Datejust 16233Ω SMPc 212.30.36.20.01.002DOXA SUB1000T Project Aware 23/92 T035.410.11.051.00

lvt

The 2500's escapement is simple, fully functional, but Omega found that they could still make a better one

The D version's escapement is almost identical to the 8500's but without the Si14 balance wheel.

It's heavily modified and more complicated than the 2500 (B, C) escapement and would be capable of running at higher beat rate in the future like the 93xx (anyway it won't happen with the 2500D).
    buddy13 and Celestias like this.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Only the 2500 B, C and D are likely to be seen on WUS. The major differences between the three are:

The B revision had a beat rate of 28,800 and wouldn't always start from rest without a flick.

The C revision had a beat rate of 25,200 which put a little more torque into the escapement for the same strength of spring. This gave slightly lower wear, pretty well certain self starting and an extra four hours reserve for no significant loss of stability. In addition there were some minor changes to the shape of the lever, small variations in lift angle and so on.

The D revision split the coaxial wheel from two layers to three to separate the function of taking power from the intermediate wheel from the function of providing an impulse to the pallet. In the 2500C, the pinion wheel did both jobs. In the 2500D, the job of taking power from the intermediate wheel has been delegated to an ordinary cog. This leaves the pinion wheel free to do a single job well.

The C solution is the more elegant while the D solution simplifies the problem (powering the pinion wheel) to be solved. Which is the better solution is probably a matter of taste. Personally, I have two B revisions, which makes my opinion on the matter pretty clear.

I also do not believe any version of the 2500 apart from the A to be any less reliable than any equivalent movement. My reasons have been repeated so many times as to be easily found through search and so I will not bother rehearsing them here.
    Last edited by M4tt; December 15th, 2011 at 21:14.
    del996, MarkJ61, Zidane and 11 others like this.
    Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity. Seneca

lvt

Good explanation, M4tt, as usual.

I also think that the 2500 is as reliable as a 2892 but the 2892 has a big advantage : its simplicity, and in mechanical stuffs simplicity means more reliability.

The 2500D/8500 escapement is even more complicated than the previous 2500 with added parts so I still ignore how the Co-ax would last longer than a Swiss lever which is 10 times simpler, escecially when the next generation of the Co-ax will all run in 28,800bph.

At least one thing for sure now is that the 3-tier escapement seems to have a better handling of the power flow so the stoppage and the flick-to-start could be avoided.
    Celestias likes this.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    The C revision had a beat rate of 25,200 which put a little more torque into the escapement for the same strength of spring. This gave slightly lower wear, pretty well certain self starting and an extra four hours reserve for no significant loss of stability. In addition there were some minor changes to the shape of the lever, small variations in lift angle and so on.

The D revision split the coaxial wheel from two layers to three to separate the function of taking power from the intermediate wheel from the function of providing an impulse to the pallet. In the 2500C, the pinion wheel did both jobs. In the 2500D, the job of taking power from the intermediate wheel has been delegated to an ordinary cog. This leaves the pinion wheel free to do a single job well.

So how does changing the escape wheel in the repairs of nonworking 2500Cs resolve whatever underlying problem exists with the unmodified movement? What has Omega figured out about the 2500C that they think will be fixed by this switch?
    Datejust 116233Datejust 16233Ω SMPc 212.30.36.20.01.002DOXA SUB1000T Project Aware 23/92 T035.410.11.051.00

Quote Originally Posted by lvt View Post

The 2500D/8500 escapement is even more complicated than the previous 2500 with added parts so I still ignore how the Co-ax would last longer than a Swiss lever which is 10 times simpler, escecially when the next generation of the Co-ax will all run in 28,800bph.
    Dude, you have to stop putting out this bad information. Did I miss something, here? Unless something happened since the last time you made this same irresponsible, purely speculative statement, and Omega has since officially announced that the next generation of Co-Axial movements will again beat at a faster beat rate, then your statement once again comes across as nothing more than your wish, stated as fact. Please stop stating things you personally wish to see happen as factual, or otherwise officially planned.

EDIT: IDK, maybe word your statements in a way that conveys your desire for Omega to bring future Co-Axial movement beat rates back up, but doesn't necessarily (mis)state that that will happen for sure, or is in any way officially planned by Omega. You might not even be alone in wishing that would happen. I personally don't see it happening, but I guess we'll just have to see.
    Last edited by Dixan; December 16th, 2011 at 07:15.
    Mathew J and JRoss like this.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information