Can anyone tell me about this old watch?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jeacock
  • 1 Post By mkws

Thread: Can anyone tell me about this old watch?

Can anyone tell me about this old watch?

Hello all,

My dad just uncovered and handed down a pile of old watches, one of which is this Omega Automatic.
    Name:  IMG_20160212_223157138.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  1.31 MB

Name:  IMG_20160212_223330826.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  1.16 MB

Name:  IMG_20160212_223321344.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  828.1 KB

Name:  IMG_20160212_223300055.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  772.9 KB

It's a neat little watch. I really like the hands and the two tone case. Just wondering if anyone can give me any info as to the year, model number, movement used, etc. It was my grandfather's and my father thinks it was gifted to him by work colleagues, probably in the 60s. It runs, but I have not worn it yet to determine how well. Not sure if I'll bother to have it cleaned or serviced. I bet it would look fantastic cleaned up, just not sure if it's worth it. I doubt I would wear it much as it is pretty small by today's standards, but someone may want to in the future. Any idea how expensive it would be to service if I did decide to?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by jeacock; February 13th, 2016 at 15:33.

Re: Can anyone tell me about this old watch?

Hi there. It doesn't ring any bells with me and I've had a quick look through the Journey Through Time book looking for similar watches without success. It has elements from 1940's and later Omegas in its appearance, but I couldn't find any close matches. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable about vintage watches will be along to advise soon.

Congratulations on a fine heirloom though.

Selling it? Strongly discouraged. And, no valuations here. If you want to know the exact year of manufacture, and more info on this particular model, it will be necessary to open the watch up. Pictures of the inside of the case back and the movement are pretty much a necessity.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by NMGE17 View Post
    Hi there. It doesn't ring any bells with me and I've had a quick look through the Journey Through Time book looking for similar watches without success. It has elements from 1940's and later Omegas in its appearance, but I couldn't find any close matches. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable about vintage watches will be along to advise soon.

Congratulations on a fine heirloom though.
    Thanks.

Here is the whole "collection"

Name:  IMG_20160211_163653895.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  1.01 MB

L to R: Longines, 80's Seiko quartz w/ alarm, Omega, Croton, Bulova Accutron tuning fork, Waltham. I love the Longines and Seiko. Don't think the others work at all.
    larryganz likes this.

The Longines looks like 1960s dress watch, and it'd just look great on a leather strap- on a NATO strap it's just like wearing a tie to a dinner jacket (in other words, something you just shouldn't do).
    There are Waltham, Bulova and Croton collectors in the Vintage forum- about these three I'd recommend asking there, if you want to learn more about these watches. On a weekend, it might take time for responses to appear in F11, so don't worry if it takes a day or two for people there to respond.
    As to the Omega, you can also ask in the Vintage forum- just keep in mind, that without the movement and case back pictures they won't be able to say anything more than what NMGE17 and I have already said.
    If you don't have the right tool for opening the case back, ask a watchmaker to open it- should be free of charge. If not free, ask another one. If you intend to expand the collection in the future, you can easily buy a wrench (Jaxa tool) somewhere in the Internets (Ofrei or whatnot).
    jeacock likes this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Thanks for the info mkws. I figured I would need to open these up to get more info, just wondered if the Omega looked familiar to any of the experts here. I agree the Longines belongs on leather, but this is how my dad wore it and honestly, I kind of like the preppy look of the regimental nylon strap (I am not a fan of traditional natos, but I do like RAF style for some of my everyday watches).

I can see myself falling down the rabbit hole of the vintage forums here. Like i don't already waste enough time on f71! Oh well.

Thread Information