Is Chrono24 a Reputable Site To Buy A Watch? - Page 2
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Is Chrono24 a Reputable Site To Buy A Watch?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Re: Is Chrono24 a Reputable Site To Buy A Watch?

This week I'll be having a transaction with a private seller for a bond Seamaster posted on chrono24. Private seller, i'll meet him in person and pay in cash. So i'll have to see the watch beforehand.

To echo what others have said, really buy the seller not the watch. I had a good experience on Chrono24 and the seller was an all around good guy. Chrono24, however, provides little-to-no protection, and their vetting process for 'Trusted Sellers' isn't that thorough from what I've read elsewhere on WUS and TZ. I'd suggest you look to PayPal or other trusted payment methods when paying on Chrono24 instead of bank transfers just for the added protection. The extra 3% is worth the peace of mind IMO.

Like everyone else said already, you really need to do your homework. Look for those sellers with most sales, that are trusted sellers and with a brick and mortar store preferably. You can check their business using google. Then you have to keep in mind that most of them prefer wire transfer because of the fees, but if you choose to send that way, you will pay a 3.5% fee on your purchase and will have limited protection (14days) because they act like an escrow service and simply release the funds once the watch is delivered. Then you need to take into account duty and taxes as well on top of the 3.5% fee you paid already. I would suggest you go with Paypal and benefit from their 100% money back garanteed. In some cases depending on the seller and the amount, you guys can split the PP fees and both are happy and covered if something happens. There's lots of reviews about their customer service not being on top or problems getting refunded. I personally prefer buying here to avoid all this extra work and stress. So good luck to you and hope everthing will be fine!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by tdiallo View Post
    Like everyone else said already, you really need to do your homework. Look for those sellers with most sales, that are trusted sellers and with a brick and mortar store preferably. You can check their business using google. Then you have to keep in mind that most of them prefer wire transfer because of the fees, but if you choose to send that way, you will pay a 3.5% fee on your purchase and will have limited protection (14days) because they act like an escrow service and simply release the funds once the watch is delivered. Then you need to take into account duty and taxes as well on top of the 3.5% fee you paid already. I would suggest you go with Paypal and benefit from their 100% money back garanteed. In some cases depending on the seller and the amount, you guys can split the PP fees and both are happy and covered if something happens. There's lots of reviews about their customer service not being on top or problems getting refunded. I personally prefer buying here to avoid all this extra work and stress. So good luck to you and hope everthing will be fine!
    New user here on Watchuseek. Very helpful advice on buying the seller and purchasing from dealers who have a lot of completed Trusted Checkout transactions. Good news is that buyers no longer pay the 3.5% fee for using Trusted Checkout. I believe dealers pay a commission fee now. Some dealers will try to go around Trusted Checkout, but this is a secure payment platform from what I can see.

My experience with Chrono24 has been similar in that I've found prices to be quite a bit higher than average, especially people trying to really gouge on special editions, etc.

I bought one watch from a Chrono24 dealer and was entirely happy with the transaction. Sure, you may pay a little more, but in my case, there is no real price guide for the watch I wanted (a Titane auto chrono). I used the escrow service. One thing I believe Chrono24 do (or maybe did) is insist private sellers take a picture of the watch set at a time specified by Chrono24 to try to prove the seller actually has the watch if nothing else.

Sorry to dig this up but is there any benefit to using Chrono24 opposed to just buying directly from the seller through paypal? I am not sure what additional benefit is provided over the protections from Paypal + the credit card company.

Has anyone bought from Willi Rothfuss?
    www.willi-rothfuss.de

Quote Originally Posted by ckopter08 View Post
    New user here on Watchuseek. Very helpful advice on buying the seller and purchasing from dealers who have a lot of completed Trusted Checkout transactions. Good news is that buyers no longer pay the 3.5% fee for using Trusted Checkout. I believe dealers pay a commission fee now. Some dealers will try to go around Trusted Checkout, but this is a secure payment platform from what I can see.

@ckopter08 I am thinking of purchasing a watch through Chrono24. With the ca 4% service fee, I was planning on using a credit card. Would you please let me know where you found out that buyers no longer have to pay a fee.

I've bought and sold a number of watches on forums (mainly Timezone). Never had a bad transaction. The more personal nature of the forums helps to regulate the deals. You also have a forum here dedicated just to give props to the good guys. In the end, I'd like to think that the community polices itself.

Ditto other comments. The site is reputable but some sellers aren’t. Communicating with the seller in advance of any purchase is usually a good screening method. If it looks too good to be true, it is.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information