Custom Seamaster? - Page 2
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Custom Seamaster?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Custom Seamaster?

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    Does that mean that this conversion wouldn't work in a SMP GMT? I have an Omega 1128 GMT movement (for the 2234) and am thinking of having it built into something similar to yours, but retaining the GMT hand and quick-set hour hand, and using the GMT case. I love the Planet Ocean look, but not the size and weight; I'd prefer a diver bezel to a 24 hr bezel (it's not difficult to quickly convert the 24 hr hand position into 24 hr time) and I want, for travel, the 24 hr hand and quick-set permanent hour hand. Do you reckon this would be feasible. Or would the extra height of the additional hand prevent fitment of the PO crystal and bezel?
    My main concern with the GMT movements is that the central dial hole is insufficient for the diameter of the GMT hand post. You'll have to widen the hole, which is a rather messy prospect on an expensive dial. Also, the applied indices are taller than those on the standard dials. You will very likely have to position or bend the hands very carefully to ensure that the GMT hand is clear of the indices and also the other hands. If you decide to keep the dial, these should not be issues. I would not think that clearance would be a problem, though not having worked with a 1128, I cannot say for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Dixan View Post
    Hey, ASR. Man, I love that watch. I appreciate it more each time I see it. You still have it, right? Please don't ever get rid of it!
    Someone offered me a built-from-parts Seamaster 300 for it, actually. It wasn't entirely easy to turn down, but I figured that this way I may one day own both.

Quote Originally Posted by Dixan View Post
    Anyway, I just wanted to point out that the mods you made to your 1120 SMP may not actually work with the 2500 SMPs ... The point is, the 1120 and 2500 SMPs have different size bezel assemblies and crystals. They are not exactly the same, though they look it.

Well, I clearly didn't know that! How odd. When you say that it didn't work, do you mean that the bezel insert was too tall and formed a bit of a lip rather than sitting flush with the crystal? That is, it technically fit, but poorly?

I wonder if they did this so they could use the same sapphire crystal as the PO? With the stock SMP crystal, the PO bezel does raise the insert about a half-mm higher. I guess it's possible that making the bezels that much taller was cheaper than making two different types of crystals, especially now that the 1120 SMPs are all discontinued?

Other than that, the important question is if the 2500 SMP bezel fit on your 1120 SMP? If it did, the transitive property of Omega bezel fitment strongly implies compatibility of the 2500 SMP with the PO bezel, which suggests that the mod is still feasible. Most probably.

Quote Originally Posted by phaseshift View Post
    so which exactly of the current models would work with these mods?

I'll have to get a different band and dial
    Any 1120 SMP should work. Depending on how Dixan answers the above, a 2500 SMP should probably work, possibly with a bit of a lip. I'd say that at the very least, if the crystal ends up too tall (and you didn't want to live with an crystal that's raised above the bezel insert), you should be able to install the shorter 1120 SMP crystal instead.

ajc

That is a very nice watch. I was thinking of going the white gold bezel on my black GMT but the PO bezel looks awesome.
    Regards Aaron,

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I really need to try and get a couple of more hours of sleep in, but I'll try to answer as completely as possible now. (Insomnia sucks.)

Quote Originally Posted by ASRSPR View Post
    Someone offered me a built-from-parts Seamaster 300 for it, actually. It wasn't entirely easy to turn down, but I figured that this way I may one day own both.
    So, you don't have it anymore?

Well, I clearly didn't know that! How odd. When you say that it didn't work, do you mean that the bezel insert was too tall and formed a bit of a lip rather than sitting flush with the crystal? That is, it technically fit, but poorly?
    Yeah, I know. Strange. Not sure how many people have actually discovered this on their own. The service center had no idea. I knew I should have taken a photo of my old 1120 bezel directly next to the 2500 bezel. From what I remember, it was actually the bezel casing itself that was taller. The shape of the insert (the arc it makes, as seen in section), was likely the same as the older bezel insert's. It was the actual bezel casing itself that was taller. I believe the scalloping is actually therefore taller too.

I had the old and newer style bezel assemblies on the counter, side by side, and we studied them together. The newer, 2500 assembly was definitely at least 1 mm taller, maybe more. So, the 2500 bezel assembly, on my 1120 case and with the 1120 crystal, sat about a mm proud of the crystal. It was totally noticeable and looked ridiculous.

I wonder if they did this so they could use the same sapphire crystal as the PO? With the stock SMP crystal, the PO bezel does raise the insert about a half-mm higher. I guess it's possible that making the bezels that much taller was cheaper than making two different types of crystals, especially now that the 1120 SMPs are all discontinued?

Other than that, the important question is if the 2500 SMP bezel fit on your 1120 SMP? If it did, the transitive property of Omega bezel fitment strongly implies compatibility of the 2500 SMP with the PO bezel, which suggests that the mod is still feasible. Most probably.
    Interesting theory, about the 2500 SMP and the PO sharing crystals, but I don't think that's it. The 2500 movement, as you know, is thicker than the 1120. The case for the 2220.80 is noticeably thicker, chunkier than the 2531.80's. When I say case, I actually mean the watch overall - case and bezel assembly. I imagine that the case itself and the bezel assembly must both be thicker. Whether or not the newer, taller bezel assembly is exactly the same height as the PO's, I really don't know.

It would make sense, what you suggested, but I don't think sharing crystals was the primary concern when they decided to make the newer SMP's bezel assembly taller. Since they had to make the case a bit taller, to accommodate the thicker movement, they likely decided to make the bezel assembly taller to keep the proportions. Then, it's entirely possible they just made the new assembly the same height as the PO's, in order to simplify crystal production/sourcing.

This is what we know, for sure:

1) 2500 SMP bezel assembly is definitely taller than the 1120 SMP's.
    2) 2500 SMP crystal is also taller than the 1120 SMP's.
    3) PO bezel assembly is taller than 1120 SMP's.
    4) PO crystal is definitely taller than the 1120 SMP's.

What we don't know, with any certainty, is whether or not the 2500 SMP's bezel assembly and crystal are the EXACT same height/thickness as the PO's.

Hope this helps!

I simply put a non-AC Dial on my 2254 and it really looks great. Good luck, Miki

Quote Originally Posted by MikiJ View Post
    I simply put a non-AC Dial on my 2254 and it really looks great. Good luck, Miki
    what is a non-ac dial? Sorry I'm a complete noob when it comes to these things.

also which of the current Seamasters have the 1120 movement? I'm on the Omega site and I just see 2500

what is a non-ac dial? Sorry I'm a complete noob when it comes to these things.
    Non-AC refers to the 2230. The dial is basically the same as the 2254 except the Omega logo and hour indicies are applied rather than painted on. It's a subtle difference but it goes a long way towards dressing it up.

also which of the current Seamasters have the 1120 movement? I'm on the Omega site and I just see 2500
    None, they refer to the now discontinued 2531, 2254 etc. The parts are still readily available.

Oh, hi. Yep, that is my flickr account.

A bit of background on the project: I originally planned the project in spring of 2010, based on experiments by forum members John_in_SC and EL. I detailed the project and the bezel removal/fit in this thread: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/ome...es-403797.html

The base watch was a 2254 Seamaster Pro. The bezel and insert are from the 42mm Planet Ocean while the applied logo and indices dial is from the "Non-AC" 2230 Seamaster. The second hand is also from the PO. Parts were purchased from Ofrei, as drewmcd24 noted.

A few months later, John_in_SC confirmed that the Planet Ocean crystal was a perfect fit for the SMP case as well, so I added a double-sided blue-AR PO crystal to mine (also from Ofrei). I posted some notes about how the bezel insert fit both crystals in this thread: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/now...st3166205.html

Finally, the picture you posted is the final version. I got tired of the PO red-tipped second hand and swapped it out for a clipped, large-size modern Railmaster second hand (also from Ofrei)

If you're looking to get this done, I'd suggest that you don't need to use a 2254, which may command a bit of a premium due to their current popularity and discontinued status, if you spring for the fanicer dial like I did. Depending on your taste in date wheel and bracelet, any full-size modern non-GMT SMP will do: electric-blue SMP, blue/black Bond, 1120 or 2500.
    Looks freakin' awesome! I'm tempted to do this to mine one day, but who knows! (BTW...did you use the SMP or PO crystal gasket?)

Also...scanned through your Flikr photostream...a lot of really cool shots! Great photography.
    matt

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information