Custom Seamaster?
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Custom Seamaster?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Custom Seamaster?

I found this on flickr

Custom Omega Seasmaster 2254.50 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

he states

"PlanPro" Seamaster Custom
    - Omega 2254.50 Seamaster Professional Base
    - Planet Ocean parts, including double-coated anti-reflective sapphire crystal

what is planpro?

and how did he change the outerbezel to be rigid unlike the 2254.50, where can one get a bezel such as the Planet Ocean?

Is it also possible to replace the dial on the Planet Ocean with one that has the wave such as SMPs?

Re: Custom Seamaster?

I think that Flickr account belongs to ASRSPR, a member of this forum. Try sending him a PM.
    Omega Speedmaster Professional 3570.50
    Seiko Sumo SBDC003
    Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso Ultra Thin Tribute to 1931
    Rolex GMT Master II BLNR

Banned

Planet Ocean + Seamaster Pro = PlanPro. Several members have customized their Seamasters by changing the bezel, dial, hands, etc. You can buy the parts needed from Ofrei.com.

KAT

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

thanks everyone, defnitely planning on doing this when I have enough to purchase an omega once again...its so unique looking!

Oh, hi. Yep, that is my flickr account.

A bit of background on the project: I originally planned the project in spring of 2010, based on experiments by forum members John_in_SC and EL. I detailed the project and the bezel removal/fit in this thread: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/ome...es-403797.html

The base watch was a 2254 Seamaster Pro. The bezel and insert are from the 42mm Planet Ocean while the applied logo and indices dial is from the "Non-AC" 2230 Seamaster. The second hand is also from the PO. Parts were purchased from Ofrei, as drewmcd24 noted.

A few months later, John_in_SC confirmed that the Planet Ocean crystal was a perfect fit for the SMP case as well, so I added a double-sided blue-AR PO crystal to mine (also from Ofrei). I posted some notes about how the bezel insert fit both crystals in this thread: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/now...st3166205.html

Finally, the picture you posted is the final version. I got tired of the PO red-tipped second hand and swapped it out for a clipped, large-size modern Railmaster second hand (also from Ofrei)

If you're looking to get this done, I'd suggest that you don't need to use a 2254, which may command a bit of a premium due to their current popularity and discontinued status, if you spring for the fanicer dial like I did. Depending on your taste in date wheel and bracelet, any full-size modern non-GMT SMP will do: electric-blue SMP, blue/black Bond, 1120 or 2500.
    cptdean and dZeak like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ASRSPR View Post
    Oh, hi. Yep, that is my flickr account.

A bit of background on the project: I originally planned the project in spring of 2010, based on experiments by forum members John_in_SC and EL. I detailed the project and the bezel removal/fit in this thread: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/ome...es-403797.html

The base watch was a 2254 Seamaster Pro. The bezel and insert are from the 42mm Planet Ocean while the applied logo and indices dial is from the "Non-AC" 2230 Seamaster. The second hand is also from the PO. Parts were purchased from Ofrei, as drewmcd24 noted.

A few months later, John_in_SC confirmed that the Planet Ocean crystal was a perfect fit for the SMP case as well, so I added a double-sided blue-AR PO crystal to mine (also from Ofrei). I posted some notes about how the bezel insert fit both crystals in this thread: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/now...st3166205.html

Finally, the picture you posted is the final version. I got tired of the PO red-tipped second hand and swapped it out for a clipped, large-size modern Railmaster second hand (also from Ofrei)

If you're looking to get this done, I'd suggest that you don't need to use a 2254, which may command a bit of a premium due to their current popularity and discontinued status, if you spring for the fanicer dial like I did. Depending on your taste in date wheel and bracelet, any full-size modern non-GMT SMP will do: electric-blue SMP, blue/black Bond, 1120 or 2500.
    Hey, ASR. Man, I love that watch. I appreciate it more each time I see it. You still have it, right? Please don't ever get rid of it!

Anyway, I just wanted to point out that the mods you made to your 1120 SMP may not actually work with the 2500 SMPs. I've gone through a few OEM bezels - it took my local Omega boutique a few tries to get me the correct part. The first one they ordered for me was actually the bezel assembly for the 2220.80, or 2500 SMP Bond. That bezel did not work for my watch, the original 1120 SMP Bond, 2531.80, as it was too tall. The bezel assembly and crystal on the newer SMPs are about a mm taller than the older watches'.

Actually, I couldn't say for sure, either way, if those exact mods would work on the 2500 SMP, but what I am certain about is that the 2500 SMP's bezel assembly and crystal are definitely taller than the 1120 SMP's. How they measure against the PO's bezel assembly and crystal is what is in question. If the PO and 2500 SMP's parts are the same height, then I suppose it would make things easier, as you could then just swap out the 2500 SMP's bezel assembly for the PO's and be done. No need to swap out crystals, like you did with your 1120 SMP.

The point is, the 1120 and 2500 SMPs have different size bezel assemblies and crystals. They are not exactly the same, though they look it.

Last edited by Dixan; January 23rd, 2011 at 07:31.

That is just beautiful!!

One of my favorites of the customs here. This watch looks gteat and the new crystal is a must IMHO.

Thanks for the motivation to do my own customizations of my PO.

Quote Originally Posted by Dixan View Post
    Hey, ASR. Man, I love that watch. I appreciate it more each time I see it. You still have it, right? Please don't ever get rid of it!

Anyway, I just wanted to point out that the mods you made to your 1120 SMP may not actually work with the 2500 SMPs. I've gone through a few OEM bezels - it took my local Omega boutique a few tries to get me the correct part. The first one they ordered for me was actually the bezel assembly for the 2220.80, or 2500 SMP Bond. That bezel did not work for my watch, the original 1120 SMP Bond, 2531.80, as it was too tall. The bezel assembly and crystal on the newer SMPs are about a mm taller than the older watches'.

Actually, I couldn't say for sure, either way, if those exact mods would work on the 2500 SMP, but what I am certain about is that the 2500 SMP's bezel assembly and crystal are definitely taller than the 1120 SMP's. How they measure against the PO's bezel assembly and crystal is what is in question. If the PO and 2500 SMP's parts are the same height, then I suppose it would make things easier, as you could then just swap out the 2500 SMP's bezel assembly for the PO's and be done. No need to swap out crystals, like you did with your 1120 SMP.

The point is, the 1120 and 2500 SMPs have different size bezel assemblies and crystals. They are not exactly the same, though they look it.

so which exactly of the current models would work with these mods?

I'll have to get a different band and dial

Quote Originally Posted by ASRSPR View Post
    Does that mean that this conversion wouldn't work in a SMP GMT? I have an Omega 1128 GMT movement (for the 2234) and am thinking of having it built into something similar to yours, but retaining the GMT hand and quick-set hour hand, and using the GMT case. I love the Planet Ocean look, but not the size and weight; I'd prefer a diver bezel to a 24 hr bezel (it's not difficult to quickly convert the 24 hr hand position into 24 hr time) and I want, for travel, the 24 hr hand and quick-set permanent hour hand. Do you reckon this would be feasible. Or would the extra height of the additional hand prevent fitment of the PO crystal and bezel?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information