Debating between Omega Aqua Terra 8500 Vs New Aqua Terra 8900
Like Tree106Likes

Thread: Debating between Omega Aqua Terra 8500 Vs New Aqua Terra 8900

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Debating between Omega Aqua Terra 8500 Vs New Aqua Terra 8900

Hello Watch lovers,
    I am looking for a blue dial watch on a leather strap. Most of my watch collection is in black dial. I am confused between a vertical teak dial Aqua Terra Vs new Horizontal teak dial Aqua Terra. I know the new 2017 Aqua Terra didn't receive much love on these forums. I have to admit that vertical teak lines AT was love at first sight. But now I have started to like the new Aqua Terras (may be we are seeing the vertical lines for a long time). The new horizontal teak lines are not my favorite but I like the symmetry on new dials, date window at 6 O'clock, the new crown etc. The new dial is lighter than older dial and it gives a contrast with dark blue strap. The older blue dial almost looks black in the low light. Above all I like the Omegas new METAS certified movements. If someone has the pictures of new Aqua Terra in a blue dial that would be greatly appreciated. I went to OB at South Coast Plaza and they didn't let me take off the protective screen from the dial, so the pictures of the dial didn't come as sharp. Please let me know what you guys think.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Debating between Omega Aqua Terra 8500 Vs New Aqua Terra 8900

Both are beautiful but I bet you could get a screaming deal on that 8500 if you look around.
    dayandnight likes this.

Tough choice, but I'm not sure you can go wrong.

I have the 8500, and initially didn't love the look of the 8900, but it's seriously grown on me the more real world photos I've seen.

If you prefer the date at 6, then you may just want to jump on the new one.

The other differences (other than the direction of the stripes) are the naiad lock case back, the METAS certification, the differently shaped crown, the symmetrical case, and a little less dial text.

These all seem like small improvements, but I'm not sure they'd swing a buying decision either way for me.

I prefer the date at 3, and quite like the integrated crown guards, so I'm perfectly happy to stick with my 8500 for now. METAS is nice to have, but my 8500 is super consistent in terms of accuracy (+1.6), and has the same anti-magnetic rating as the new one.

So it's not worth an upgrade, IMHO, but if I were buying new... I'd probably just go with the date position I prefer. Everything else is small potatoes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    hellomms likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I like both, but the latest AT is just too gorgeous and well designed
    Rolex Daytona TT - Deepsea - Submariner Date ceramic - GMT Master TT ceramic - Submariner Blue Ceramic TT
    Omega Seamaster 2254 - Seamaster Pro Blue Ceramic - Planet Ocean 45.5mm cal 8500
    TagHeuer Aquaracer 300M - Aquaracer 500M - Link Bourne - Formula 1 44mm
    Oris Divers Date - Citizen Promaster Diver EcoDrive
    lots of Solar Casios

I don’t think you can go wrong either way. Whichever gives you the biggest buzz or best price or whatever informs your decision.

Nigel

I prefer the vertical stripes and the thinner bezel (this is how I see it from pictures, although it may be due to a less upright angle compared to the 8500)
    However the METAS and upgraded movement, makes the latest model very appealing.

I'm honeymooning with this though:
    Name:  2018-01-06 16.50.01.jpg
Views: 2601
Size:  661.8 KB
    Last edited by andy4trance; January 6th, 2018 at 17:04.
    warsh and colonelpurple like this.

8500 for sure, the horizontal lines bug me too much...look like a garage door IMO

Agreed, do what you like, but I can also completely relate to not knowing what you like! I faced a similar dilemma when the latest 8500MC came out - older with date window and brushed links and no master chrono, or MC with no date window plus PCLs. Ultimately I convinced myself of the master and realized I liked the no date window better. That being said, the window vs no window controversy now seems insignificant compared to this complete redesign with horizontal lines. The latest AT doesn't arouse any desire or regrets on my part, but YMMV.

Bob
    andy4trance likes this.

WJW

Another one for the 8500. There's something not right with the 8900. The horizontal lines and the date a 6, the polished bracelet!! The 8500 all the way.

My vote for 8900 - more universal and sporty (if You want - great rubber strap) look.

iP8

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information