Dilemma - 38.5 Skyfall or Grand Seiko SBGA375
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Dilemma - 38.5 Skyfall or Grand Seiko SBGA375

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Dilemma - 38.5 Skyfall or Grand Seiko SBGA375

So, Iím looking for a watch that is versatile and can pull off both sporty and dressy. That looks at home on a bracelet or a leather strap.

I am pretty sure Iíve narrowed it down to the 38.5mm Aqua Terra Skyfall or the Grand Seiko SBGA375.

I loved the Skyfall when it came out and I think it still holds up today. The 38.5 fits my wrist well. Obviously Iíd have to pick it up pre owned and Iím fine with that.

The GS spring drive is pretty awesome IMO. And the blue, many times looking black, dial if the 375 looks great in pictures. Iíve not seen it in person but Iíve seen and handled GS in person and I find them very impressive.

Iíve also considered the 373. Obviously different dial color but from what Iíve seen, an excellent dial.

I feel like any of the options would serve my purposes well, so Iím really just looking to see if anyone has thoughts, pros, cons, etc. about these options that might help me come to a conclusion.

As always, TIA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by NativeTxn; April 7th, 2019 at 00:39.

Re: Dilema - 38.5 Skyfall or Grand Seiko SBGA375

Omega post-sales service is head and shoulders above GS.

Seiko service USA services all Seiko models from Seiko 5 all the way up to GS. There is no dedicated GS service center.

I'm familiar with the ineptitude of the Seiko service center; they are so incompetent that GS actually refunded me after they were unable to fix my GS after 4 times.

You read it, 4 times.

I bought an Omega with the proceeds.

Do yourself a favor and stick with a brand that has pedigree and a track record for great post-sales service, especially at your price point. Sure, the dial work of the GS is arguably better than the AT, but if the GS breaks, it's a gamble.

In case you're interested:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f642/o...809.html?amp=1
    That's my experience.

For what it's worth, I've been on WUS for almost a decade.

Best of luck!
    Last edited by JoeC; April 6th, 2019 at 03:55.
    NativeTxn likes this.
    Omega Aqua Terra Master Co-Axial 8500 - Omega Diver 300M Master Chronometer - Seiko "Samurai" SRPC93

Tough call, both are excellent watches. I own the Omega AT Skyfall, been wearing it all week. The best AT from a design perspective IMO and the movement is pretty solid, itís a 2013 watch still keeping + 1.5 - 2.0. The ATís design is a bit sportier than the GS, works fine as a dress watch but you can use it as a weekend sports watch too. If you can get a Skyfall in good shape it would be hard to pass up.
    I own a GS Spring Drive too, not the model you are looking at but enough to know the movement. My experience with the Spring Drive movement is that itís plenty accurate but not the ultimate in accuracy. Inside +1 sec a day (about the same as my AT) but not +1 a month as some like to claim. The power reserve at 72 hrs. Is excellent and after winding 10 x or so it self winds to full power efficiently and rapidly. The smooth sweep of the second hand is cool to look at but who gazes at their watch all day? That blue dial GS sure is pretty. Iíd buy it if it was in better shape than the AT but Iíd prefer the AT all things being equal.
    We may be lost but we're making good time.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Skyfall 100000%

Not even a close matchup.
    the five stages of a watch flipper
    infatuation
    appropriation acquisition justification resale

I've got 3 omegas already. Maybe why I'm leaning towards the GS for something different?

AT is pretty though... Hm.
    2018 Omega Speedmaster Professional (calibre 1861) / 1957 Omega Constellation calendar (calibre 504) / 70's-80's Omega Seamaster De Ville Quartz (calibre 1342) / Orient Star Seeker (40P51) / Citizen Aqualand Duplex (C506) / Orient Journeyman (46K40)/ Seagull 1963 chrono 42mm (ST19) / Stuhrling Canterbury (ST-90050) / Casio AW 300 Yacht Timer / Seiko Ana-Digi (H-556) / Seiko SKX007 (7s26) / Invicta Pro Diver 8928OB (NH35A)

I am a sucker for the 38.5 skyfall AT and I think you should definitely get it over the Seiko. I just love the blue dial and how it looks under different lighting. Extremely beautiful timepiece

You got any pics for this thread?
    Betterthere likes this.

Dilema - 38.5 Skyfall or Grand Seiko SBGA375

Quote Originally Posted by SaoDavi View Post
    You got any pics for this thread?
    GS pics pulled from this article (https://timeandtidewatches.com/hands...drive-sbga375/)

AT Skyfall (all pulled from the internet machine):

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by NativeTxn; April 6th, 2019 at 07:32.
    SaoDavi likes this.

IMHO the AT just edges it, but you have to go with the one that makes you smile most when you look at them.

Nigel

Both are great looking watches that dress up/down nicely. If youíve already got a few Omegas then Iíd probably opt for the GS, otherwise on looks and history Iíd opt for the AT. Thereís no loser between these two.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast