Does AR end up Reducing Lume Intensity?

Thread: Does AR end up Reducing Lume Intensity?

Does AR end up Reducing Lume Intensity?

So now that I have removed the AR, I swear that the lume intensity is more - makes sense if AR reflects light away from the watch...
    Focus on what you want to happen, not what has happened.

Re: Does AR end up Reducing Lume Intensity?

I'm not sure optics work like that.
    Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity. Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by paduncan View Post
    So now that I have removed the AR, I swear that the lume intensity is more - makes sense if AR reflects light away from the watch...
    I wouldn't be surprised. And I don't want to keep harping about the Rolex, but there is a good reason they don't use AR coatings. Yes, my Milgauss does give off more reflection than my other watches - they all have AR coating, either inside only or both - but the whole watch just seems to sparkle more. When I clean it up, it just looks cleaner. I want to be realistic also. I am not saying it is this way because it is a Rolex. All I am saying is that because of no AR coating, there definitely are differences - and I am liking what I see. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it made a slight difference in the lume as well.
    Funny how things go. At one time, there were so many postings on various forums about how wonderful AR coating is. Especially Breitling, you would think AR coating is the make-or-break feature about buying the watch. Never mind the movement and other features. Now there seems to be a lot more speculation about the real benefits.
    Cheers,
    Carl
    Those who possess a sense of entitlement are seldom satis​fied.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

IMO..AR is a great feature on the right watch. The PO is a great watch to have AR. The flat dial seems to hover. Watches like Rolex that use a gloss dial are a AR nightmare. Gloss dials are ment to sparkle. Sparkle is a reflection. My Serti sub would look terrible with a AR coating. It would take some sparkle off the expensive diamonds. As far as AR reducing lume, I am not so sure it would reduce it looking directly at the dial. I cant imagine the Planet Ocean's lume could glow any brighter.

I can't imagine it would make any discernible difference to your eye. Placebo is mighty powerful Glad you like it though it's the owners happiness that counts.

OT: mystro I can't help but notice the piece of what looks like granite your Rollie sits upon...does it not scratch the case side at all? It is a beautiful watch.
    "You've stolen my heart, yes You have, You've wiped away the stains, broke away the chains, yes You have!" Leeland

Quote Originally Posted by paduncan View Post
    That should not be the case. AR allows more light through by reducing wastefully reflected light.

Look up AR in wikipedia for a decent explanation.

In cameras a coated and a non-coated lens can easily make a difference of half a stop. More with better coatings.

The AR does NOT reflect light away from the watch. It allows more through the crystal. And I dont think the AR was blocking UV to the extent of making any visible difference.
    Last edited by ddatta; January 5th, 2010 at 05:22.
    DD

Thread Information