Does the (F)AD sell Mont Blanc pens? - Page 2
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Does the (F)AD sell Mont Blanc pens?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Does the (F)AD sell Mont Blanc pens?

The 'problem' with Montblanc is the same as the 'problem' with Rolex - a significant number of buyers buy them not because they make a good product (which they do) but because they are the sort of people that value name recognition and prestige associated with owning expensive chattels.

The rest of us may make our buying choices based more on price and the virtues of an item aside from any prestige consideration, but if we choose to own one of the prestige brands, the chance is that someone out there will mistake us for the types who value prestige over quality. That's a problem for prestige brands, although I'd say they seem to be bearing up rather well in both cases!

If you want to buy a Montblanc pen, either bite the bullet and pay retail at one of their stores, or be careful and buy one second hand from somewhere like Ebay, watching out for the many fakes - just like we have to do with watches.

I happen to be writing with a 1990s vintage MB 146 in sterling lined pattern today, just back from the nibmeister having an M nib redone as an XXF. A pure delight to write with and because the pen had some initials on it ()which I do not care about) I probably paid about $300 less than the going rate for this particular model.
    Navy Man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wspohn View Post
    The 'problem' with Montblanc is the same as the 'problem' with Rolex - a significant number of buyers buy them not because they make a good product (which they do) but because they are the sort of people that value name recognition and prestige associated with owning expensive chattels.

The rest of us may make our buying choices based more on price and the virtues of an item aside from any prestige consideration, but if we choose to own one of the prestige brands, the chance is that someone out there will mistake us for the types who value prestige over quality. That's a problem for prestige brands, although I'd say they seem to be bearing up rather well in both cases!

If you want to buy a Montblanc pen, either bite the bullet and pay retail at one of their stores, or be careful and buy one second hand from somewhere like Ebay, watching out for the many fakes - just like we have to do with watches.

I happen to be writing with a 1990s vintage MB 146 in sterling lined pattern today, just back from the nibmeister having an M nib redone as an XXF. A pure delight to write with and because the pen had some initials on it ()which I do not care about) I probably paid about $300 less than the going rate for this particular model.
    While generally I agree, the difference is that with MB you can buy from any number of dealers for an ok discount.
    Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
    "I was interested in precision timekeeping I wasn't interested in little, flat, thin luxury watches I was interested in proper watches, like the watch they used on the moon, that sort of thing" - George Daniels

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by wspohn View Post

That's what I was trying to express but failed to do! Ah, so which is the Omega of the pen world if we assume that Mont Blanc is the Rolex... Hm... Cartier maybe? Their pens are great and look classy too!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm writing with a Microsoft Natural Multimedia Keyboard coupled with a Razor Viper mouse for 1000DPI precision...
    Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity. Seneca

Watches and pens do go hand in hand! We recently added Montblanc watches and pens to our collection.
    - IWC Ingenieur Automatic IW3227-01
    - Omega Speedmaster Mitsukoshi
    - Casio G-Shock G8900DGK-7 DGK
    - Casio G-Shock GW-7900RD-4JF

Shortlist
    - Panerai Radiomir 1940 PAM512

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information