Does the Omega Seamaster 300M Quartz work for a lifetime
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Rogi

Thread: Does the Omega Seamaster 300M Quartz work for a lifetime

Does the Omega Seamaster 300M Quartz work for a lifetime

I always wanted to buy an Omega. I wonder if this watch would work without high cost repairs and problems for a lifetime? Or is it better to buy the Co-Axial Chronometer? If I buy it then I want to be able to use it for the rest of my life without problems that cost you a lot of money in the future. changing batteries and straps won't be a problem. A friend of mine got a Quartz swiss watch for $200 and after 5 years it stopped working. He was told that it would cost around $160 to repair it. That is a lot. You could buy a new watch for that

Also is there a lifetime warranty/insurance if you pay extra for Omega watches.

Re: Does the Omega Seamaster 300M Quartz work for a lifetime

I have the quartz version of the Bond SMP, my 2 X-33s are quartz, and my preBonds are quartz......so.....needless to say, I believe a good quartz watch will last more than 30 years....

montage all Omegas by thianwong1, on Flickr

Here is a Hybrid Seiko quartz by JakeB. The dial and movement are from a Seiko 7548 diver from the 1980s. This quartz movement is very good and with care will last a lifetime IMO...

wrist2 by thianwong1, on Flickr
    Last edited by T. Wong; February 17th, 2013 at 01:56.

Who's lifetime? Yours or the watch's? Any mechanical instrument will require maintenance throughout the course of it's life and this maintenance will cost. Unless we're talking Zippo lighters. "Works, or we fix it for free" is the company motto. And it's true. I sent a fifteen year old lighter back to them to get the loose hinge repaired. I was happily prepared to pay for the repair, but they replaced the hinge AND put a new insert into the lighter. It was all free of charge, as per their slogan. This is how Zippo have operated since 1932.
    Maybe they should start making watches.
    Your friend's $160 repair quote on his $200 watch may sound pricey, but if it was a $2000 quartz Longines or TAG Heuer, the repair price would be about the same. For that money, it sounds like they'll replace the entire movement.
    Last edited by teeritz; February 17th, 2013 at 02:39. Reason: "The" has a 't' in it
    -teeritz-

Sent from the typing pool of the Double-O Section.

My other distractions---> https://teeritz.blogspot.com.au/

tinzer0 on Instagram

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'll keep it simple, Quartz has a battery it has a battery lifetime of around 5 years with use each day depending on the battery. After that if you replace a battery and it isn't installed properly it can leak out and destroy the movement. A battery change is 20 bucks, a full service on a quartz should be done every 10-15 years depending on how frequently you change the battery/use the watch. The full service also costs, depending on the watch maker and make of the watch.

Same with automatics, the recomended service interval is 4-5 years, although there are people that keep them for 15 years and don't have issues. Some guys send it in for service every 5 years and have issues from service centers. Most end up finding local, trustworthy watch makers, which are getting fewer and fewer to find. Some guys end up sending their watches to Al Archer on the forum he seems like a cool guy who enjoys his line of work :) Just a couple options to throw out

Either Quartz or Automatic, you'll need to do a full service one day, I've yet to see any watch that is 50 years old and still keeps 100% perfect time and is in perfect WR. Its always good to, after a couple years have a full service or have the seals replaced and checked.

Remember its like your car, watches need oil changes and small fixes here and there too, and the more luxurious the brand, the more price tag you can end up paying for an "Oil change" and parts replacement if need be.

You won't pay the same for the brakes on your Toyota as you would your Ferrari.

Same in the watch world, you want a cheap watch you replace every 5 years, buy a cheap watch, you want something to treasure and hand down, get a more luxurious one. Any watch will do to tell the time or make a luxurious statement, but few companys stay long enough in business to have their names remembered. Omega, Rolex, Patek, Vacheron etc

If your buying a luxury watch your buying it for the luxury aspect. If your not prepared to pay for a servicing of the watch itself, a luxury timepiece isn't for you. Only you can decide what service interval you beleive you need for the timepiece, 5, 10 years etc. I'm sure you'll make a wise decision but the Omega Quartz will definatley outlast you if treated right.
    Last edited by Rogi; February 17th, 2013 at 03:03.
    T. Wong and jeelan like this.
    Hope that helps,

Igor

:D :) >:) :O Smiley Addict :) :S :<) 8-)

Thread Information