Does this Speedy Look Right?

Thread: Does this Speedy Look Right?

Does this Speedy Look Right?

I'm not actively looking to buy a Speedy, but I do enjoy following them on the auction site. Maybe its just me, but something about this one doesn't look right :-S
    Case/lugs area looks odd, caseback lettering? Blurry pictures. Maybe its an older version that I'm not so familiar with. Do any of the experts have an opinion?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=016

Re: Does this Speedy Look Right?

I'll leave this one up to the Speedy experts.....
    *Nick*
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor souls who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat " - Theodore Roosevelt

Absolutely. Looks like a 145.0022. Early 1970s?? I'm not placing the bracelet though... Looks like the grail 1039 -- but no. Is that an early 1171 with the older-style Omega?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by caferacer
    Absolutely. Looks like a 145.0022. Early 1970s?? I'm not placing the bracelet though... Looks like the grail 1039 -- but no. Is that an early 1171 with the older-style Omega?

borrowed from omega-addict.com

I would saya 1039, grail---Yes, wearable--No. Strange that you find that kind of bracelet of the late 60's on a 145.0022, but.....

check out this sites to learn everything on speedies and their bracelets:

www.speedmaster-mission.net
    www.omega-addict.com
    and not forget the godfather of watch collectors:
    Chuck Maddox site
    http://home.xnet.com/%7Ecmaddox/cm3articles.html
    Ciao
    Pacchi

"...do not argue with idiots they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience...."

It looks good to me.

I'm with Serge. The bracelet certainly looks like a 1039. As for the rest, it's too hard to say. The dial and bezel are newer, at least from the '90s, if not more recent. The plastic on the caseback indicates it's new, too.

I'd guess that this is either a new watch with an old bracelet, or a recently refurbished watch. Without seeing inside, we just can't say for certain.

eric

Out of curiosity, why does the lettering on the caseback look so thin compared to what seems like shorter, thicker lettering I see on other late-model Speedmasters? I just thought that there may be something fishy there since only a few scans are blurry. I suppose I would expect crisp close-ups from an otherwise legitimate looking presentation.
    Thanks to all.

Good eye!

Quote Originally Posted by Top
    Out of curiosity, why does the lettering on the caseback look so thin compared to what seems like shorter, thicker lettering I see on other late-model Speedmasters?
    Good question and good eye, Top! There appear to be subtle differences between this one on Otto Frei's site (which looks to be the same as the one on ebay)

and this one on Watchco's site.

I honestly don't know the details of Omega's production process, but it's conceivable that they outsource the manufacturing of certain parts. The two styles may have come from different manufacturers.
    I just thought that there may be something fishy there since only a few scans are blurry. I suppose I would expect crisp close-ups from an otherwise legitimate looking presentation.
    Thanks to all.
    The only thing I find fishy about that Speedmaster auction is the obnoxious voiceover, describing it as "one of the finest Rolex watches on ebay."

eric

Thread Information