Down to two...time to make a decision
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Down to two...time to make a decision

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Down to two...time to make a decision

First world problems...

Iíve been looking for the ďrightĒ chronograph for a little while now. Iíve tried some that I liked and ultimately keep coming back to the same two choices. I canít really explain why Iím stuck on Omega - but I am. These check every box but they are wildly different looking watches. Iíve tried both on. I even owned the orange handed Speedy racing but ultimately decided that I didnít like the black as much as Iíd like a panda, white or something else a little more fun.

I like both and have concerns about both. Maybe I might even own both someday if the right used deal came along. But right now - I can only get one.

Iím assuming others have had the same problem at one point. Love to hear how you reasoned out which one to choose.

Speedmaster Racing Master Chronograph 44.25

Pros: love everything about this- the size, the dial, itís like a sports car
    Cons: am I a white watch guy? Is it ďtool-yĒ enough?

Seamaster Planet Ocean Chronograph 45.5

Pros: love the dial. My favorite dial out there. The hands, the balance, the color. Love that it wears smaller than it looks
    Cons: the ......... impression it might get with this 19mm hamburger on my wrist or barely fitting under the cuff of my casual print oxford and sweater at any given day of work. I will never ďdiveĒ with this but I guess I might snorkel sometime on a cruise or something. Lol.

Would love to hear some thoughts. If not too off-topic, Iím open to alternatives too. Prerequisites are chronograph and 43-45mm dial. 42 is smaller than Iíd like which kind of rules out the regular Speedy. If it helps, my daily driver has been a combo of Breitling SuperOcean II 44 and Sinn 857S UTC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    usmc_k9_vet likes this.

Re: Down to two...time to make a decision

Get the Speedmaster Racing white. The PO chronograph is stupid thick. Like, super cumbersome thick.
    the five stages of a watch flipper
    infatuation
    appropriation acquisition justification resale

I've never thought much of the PO from photos but my next door neighbor has one and I must say it's a really, really nice piece in the flesh. I've often thought of picking one up.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    johnwooten72 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Another vote for the Speedmaster. I think the model you owned is the nicest looking of the SPeedmaster racing range. The white dial has a slight Daytona feel for it, which I guess is a draw to some.

The PO is a behemoth of epic proportions and even if you have a wrist that can carry it off, its still huge. Also it looks weird seeing a chronograph on a dive watch IMHO.
    johnwooten72 and fskywalker like this.
    Dan
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...........................................
    My Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/barny.1976/

Current

Ω Omega 38.5mm Aqua Terra "Skyfall": Ω Omega Planet Ocean Liquid Metal Limited Edition: Rolex Submariner 14060M Y Serial

Gone

Ω Omega Speedmaster 3592.50
    Ω Omega Seamaster 300 60th Anniversary Limited Edition
    Rolex Submariner 114060
    Ω Omega 36mm Railmaster

Ω Omega Seamaster 300 Spectre Limited Edition
    Ω Omega 38.5mm Aqua Terra "Skyfall"
    Ω Omega Speedmaster 3873.50 Sapphire Sandwich
    Ω Omega Aqua Terra 39mm Starburst blue dial
    Ω Omega Planet Ocean 2209.50
    Ω Omega Seamaster 2254.50

I agree the Seamaster has a great dial, but another vote for the Speedmaster. White dials are remarkably legible in my opinion. Thatís becoming more important as I age. The Speedmaster is just so well designed and proportioned. You really canít go wrong with it. The PO is great, but very big. So yeah, I vote Speedmaster.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    johnwooten72 likes this.

Outside of a few exceptions (looking at you JLC Deep Sea Chronograph) I prefer my dive watches to be three handers. Also, the PO line has become too thick for my liking and the chrono version takes the thickness to another level. I have a Mitsukoshi dial Speedmaster and the white dial is fantastic for everyday wear.
    johnwooten72 and 8100 RPM like this.

My vote is for the gorgeous white dial Speedmaster Racing Master Chronograph 44.25. I've never been a big fan of Seamaster chronographs.

Full disclosure, I do own a 43.5 PO 8900. It is thick but it doesn't stop me from wearing it under the cuff of a dress shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by johnwooten72 View Post
    First world problems...

Iíve been looking for the ďrightĒ chronograph for a little while now. Iíve tried some that I liked and ultimately keep coming back to the same two choices. I canít really explain why Iím stuck on Omega - but I am. These check every box but they are wildly different looking watches. Iíve tried both on. I even owned the orange handed Speedy racing but ultimately decided that I didnít like the black as much as Iíd like a panda, white or something else a little more fun.

I like both and have concerns about both. Maybe I might even own both someday if the right used deal came along. But right now - I can only get one.

Iím assuming others have had the same problem at one point. Love to hear how you reasoned out which one to choose.

Speedmaster Racing Master Chronograph 44.25

Pros: love everything about this- the size, the dial, itís like a sports car
    Cons: am I a white watch guy? Is it ďtool-yĒ enough?

Seamaster Planet Ocean Chronograph 45.5

Pros: love the dial. My favorite dial out there. The hands, the balance, the color. Love that it wears smaller than it looks
    Cons: the ......... impression it might get with this 19mm hamburger on my wrist or barely fitting under the cuff of my casual print oxford and sweater at any given day of work. I will never ďdiveĒ with this but I guess I might snorkel sometime on a cruise or something. Lol.

Would love to hear some thoughts. If not too off-topic, Iím open to alternatives too. Prerequisites are chronograph and 43-45mm dial. 42 is smaller than Iíd like which kind of rules out the regular Speedy. If it helps, my daily driver has been a combo of Breitling SuperOcean II 44 and Sinn 857S UTC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dude! This is me. I'm also in the hunt for a chronograph and my top choice is the same Omega Speedmaster, same color as well. I'm not into chronographs but everyone needs one in their collection and I have none.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 6R15 View Post
    Get the Speedmaster Racing white. The PO chronograph is stupid thick. Like, super cumbersome thick.
    +1

Rolex 114060

Although both chronos they have quite different aesthetics. Although the thickness of the PO would be a primary concern for me it would be more about whether I wanted a dive watch appearance or something a bit more sober whilst still not too dressy because it retains an everyday working look to it. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Nigel
    johnwooten72 likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information