Endgame - Page 3
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Endgame

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: Endgame

It really looks good on you, congratulations.

Congrats to you and also getting a new watch would be perfect.

Nah... go bracelet all the way. Plus it has a great clasp system . Anything else just cheapens the watch and reduces functionality but that's just me.
    fish70 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Good luck. I bought my holy grail “the one” about 12 watches ago. Doh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -ABD

Quote Originally Posted by ofted42 View Post
    Good question. I originally was looking at the speedys, but knowing that this was going to be pretty much it for me for a long, long time I decided that I wanted something more versatile. This should hold up to dunkings, bonks against desks and doorjams, etc. I tried on a speedy at the AD, and it also didn't give me the "wow' that I was expecting. Plus on my big wrists it just seemed a bit off. (side note, I asked the lady at the counter if it was the hesalite or sapphire glass and got "huh? They're all sapphire! What's hesalite?" It was the hesalite, which I knew, but wanted to see if she did.)
    I think the Speedy is a pretty tough watch, but I get your decision. That AD experience is still better than mine, though, where I asked a London AD if he had any Hesalite models (after he showed me the sapphire) and he turned up his nose mocking the Hesalite.

Still loving it, probably still in the honeymoon period but I find myself staring at it more than I should. For those looking for a cheaper alternative than the Omega rubber strap, I'm really liking the Watchgecko sailcloth strap. I don't even notice I have it on most of the time.

Name:  5-9-2019 6-45-21 AM.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  64.6 KB
    EightEyes likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ofted42 View Post
    Well, after a few years of collecting, flipping, and losing way too much money, I decided I needed to cut to the chase. Ever since I started looking at watches I always considered Omega as the watch. Not sure why, probably a combination of being a space nut (moon watch!), loving the designs, the name, etc. Whatever the reason, every time I bought watch in the last few years it never quite scratched the itch completely. I'm usually a fairly frugal person and don't like "clutter", or things that sit around and don't get used. With that in mind, I figured I could kill two birds with one stone. Most of the collection is being sold off, and being replaced with this

Attachment 14125377

Picked it up yesterday and so far it's everything I was hoping for. Something like this is so far out of my usual expenditures that I'm sure this will be the only time I spend this kind of money on a watch for many many years, if ever again. I think that's fine with me though. With the Stowa Marine Original I picked up, I now have two watches that will hopefully pass to my sons some day.

Cheers
    This is a great pickup, congrats. i only recently looked at these at an AD and was blown away. I'm with you in wanting to get to the endgame. I've not been at this long and have bought and sold much less than most, but after thinking I could go frugal, or at least have a few less-costly watches rather than a single good one, I've started to realize also the pursuit is fruitless. It consumes too much time, some lost money from flipping, I'm always finding one or two things I don't like about a watch, and I always seem to gravitate to one of a few expensive (for me) watches anyway.

Regarding the Speedy, I thought this was the endgame also and bought a nice used one, as I grew up with Apollo and watched many of the missions on TV, but for me the watch just didn't do it. It seemed cheaper looking than it was and I kept wanting more of a 60's feel from it - font, applied logo, dial depth, bracelet, and I just didn't get it. So, your Seamaster is a watch that is on my short list.

Quote Originally Posted by gopurdue999 View Post
    This is a great pickup, congrats. i only recently looked at these at an AD and was blown away. I'm with you in wanting to get to the endgame. I've not been at this long and have bought and sold much less than most, but after thinking I could go frugal, or at least have a few less-costly watches rather than a single good one, I've started to realize also the pursuit is fruitless. It consumes too much time, some lost money from flipping, I'm always finding one or two things I don't like about a watch, and I always seem to gravitate to one of a few expensive (for me) watches anyway.

Regarding the Speedy, I thought this was the endgame also and bought a nice used one, as I grew up with Apollo and watched many of the missions on TV, but for me the watch just didn't do it. It seemed cheaper looking than it was and I kept wanting more of a 60's feel from it - font, applied logo, dial depth, bracelet, and I just didn't get it. So, your Seamaster is a watch that is on my short list.
    Funny to hear you describe it, that's the same kind of thoughts I had when I tried on the speedmaster. I always told myself that that would be it, but in person for some reason I wasn't feeling it. The seamaster was the opposite, hence the acquisition. I will say as much as I love it I could see wanting something with a bit more "tool watch" vibe eventually, which means a planet ocean is probably on the list at some point. We're talking years away though.

So, quick update. After a few days of looking at the seamaster and wearing it on a strap at work, something was starting to bug me. For a watch that was supposed to be my ultimate GADA watch I was way too paranoid about knocking it against anything. Plus the hands were hard to see in certain light (stupid skeletonized hands), and the lume on the hands wasn't visible in the middle of the night when I woke up. I spent a while trying to convince myself that it was fantastic, and for the most part it was, but I finally accepted that if you're going to spend this kind of coin on a watch you shouldn't have doubts. Took it back to the AD this morning (thankfully there were no marks on it, and since the woman there had resized it they didn't care that links were taken out), and traded it for this:

Name:  5-15-2019 12-33-13 PM.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  61.3 KB

I thought I was excited about the 300, but I'm pumped about this one in a way I didn't think was possible. Perfect size for my 8" wrists, and I don't have any second thoughts about wearing it to do almost anything (short of car repair or other abusive stuff, that's what the Seiko is for). Plus the bracelet is perfect, not nearly as blingy as the 300. She's a keeper!
    AbsoluteMustard likes this.

You’re not worried about knocking the PO in the same way you were with the SMP? Would’ve thought it easier to bump into things with a PO given the size.

Great watch btw!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information