Ever dropped your Seamaster or Planet Ocean?
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Ever dropped your Seamaster or Planet Ocean?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    A few days ago I woke up in the morning to find my PO on the wood floor next to my side table. It’s about 26 inches in height. Yet I BELIEVE the fall was broken into two phases - first it hit the ledge of my bed (1 foot or so drop) and then fell to the floor, another 1 foot or so drop. But no way to say for certain, so I’m just saying a 2 foot-ish drop. No idea how it happened.

There is a rub mark on the side of the case that wasn’t there before so I assume this is where the impact was. The surface is still smooth and there no dings or dents. Picture attached. Timekeeping is unaffected and is still the same as it was before.

How durable are the steel cases when it comes to a 26” fall to the wooden floor? Do I need to get the watch pressure tested or is that completely unnecessary? Does anyone have stories of their drops and how the case and movement held up, whether it was a wooden floor, tile, concrete, etc?

I think what’s really bothering me is the fact that it’s only 2 Months old. Had it been older maybe I wouldn’t mind as much. Maybe I should just chalk it up to something that would happen sooner or later?

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Rahul718; 1 Week Ago at 15:35.
    Current Rotation:
    Planet Ocean 8900 43.5
    Planet Ocean 2500D 42mm
    Planet Ocean 2500D 45mm

Re: Ever dropped your Seamaster or Planet Ocean?

I dropped my Seamaster from about waist height onto our tiled bathroom floor when it was only a few months old. It landed on the helium escape valve crown which was evident by a very noticeable dent on the edge of the crown. I kept an eye on the timing and it remained as accurate as ever. Never really considered that the impact might affect the water tightness and swam with it many times after that. Just had it serviced 6 months ago after about 10 years of service (there were zero problems with it when I got it serviced, just figured it was overdue). Omega did replace the crown during the service. Although I'm no expert, and believe there are plenty on the forum that can provide better insight, I don't think you have anything to worry about.
    Rolex Submariner 114060
    Omega SMP 2254.50

Omega Planet Ocean 2200.50.00
    Tissot PRS516 Tissot PR100
    Breitling Headwind A45355
    Tag Heuer Golf Watch WAE1111
    Garmin Fenix 5X Plus

My PO 2500 fell off the bathroom counter onto tile and put a really nice dent in the side of the case. Never noticed any timing issues after the fall. I don’t regularly submerge in water so can’t say if it affected it. But, the dent bothered me enough I eventually sold it at a reduced price

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Nope... Not since 2012. I'm always careful. Even when it's on my wrist I take extreme care where my left wrist is swinging.
    DW Classic St Mawes/Emporio Armani AR5860/Jorg Gray 6500 Commemorative Edition/Nautica NCS 600 N15016G/ΩOmega SMP/ΩOmega Seamaster Aqua Terra/ΩOmega Seamaster 300MC/Seiko Diver SKX007K/Seiko 5 SNKE51K1/Steinhart Ocean 39 Vintage GMT Premium/Steinhart Ocean One 39 Black Ceramic/Tissot Le Locle Automatic

That adds character , my seamaster has not been dropped it did however survived two car crashes and 12 years of daily wear including alot of camping and hikes

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day

Omega Seamaster Professional 300m 2351.80 Bond
    Omega Seamaster Professional 300m 2254.50 Black
    Omega Seamaster Professional 300m 2231.80 Electric Blue Ti
    Omega Seamaster Professional 300m 2296.80 Ti Tan Rg Chronograph
    Omega Seamaster Chronograph 145.024 Flat Jedi
    Omega Seamaster Deville cal 562(the beater)
    Omega Speedmaster Professional 145.022 71'
    Omega 18k Rose 50's dresswatch
    Rolex Perpetual Date 1500 79'
    Rolex GMT Master 1675 67'
    Rolex GMT Master II 16760 Fat Lady No Date 84'
    Breitling New Pluton
    Goals are :
    Depends on my mood

I'll be honest, I found my PO 2201 more delicate than my current 2254. The exterior got dinged up far easier, and as it's a more complicated movement on the inside, I would track its performance for a few days to make sure you didn't knock the column wheel out of alignment, etc.

A pressure test is a good idea once in a while regardless though I doubt a minor fall would effect water resistance.
    Damasko DA46 Black
    Seiko 5 vintage (1969)

Tag Heuer 2000 Classic (1990)
    Omega Seamaster vintage (mid 60's)
    Omega Seamaster 2254.50 Peter Blake
    Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 2201.50 (sold)
    Timex Q (reissue)

I dropped my IWC on a tiled floor soon after buying it. It still shows scars. A long time later I had an issue with the chronograph not resetting to zero. Given the lengthy period dropping it and this happening, I don't think the two were related.

It's a blessing in disguise. After the initial "shock" wears off you can enjoy it hear on out with less worry. If it bothers you that much, a small piece of green Scotch-Brite should take that scuff off.
    keisuke_z likes this.

Appreciate the feedback, guys. Main concern here is case integrity. Would it be possible if a drop like that could shift the lug a mm here or there? Or will SS always dent first before bending or cracking?
    Current Rotation:
    Planet Ocean 8900 43.5
    Planet Ocean 2500D 42mm
    Planet Ocean 2500D 45mm

Dropped my SMP 300 quartz on the bathroom floor. Killed it. Sent in to Archer for service and its as good as new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information