First Omega Incoming, Pic!
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: First Omega Incoming, Pic!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

First Omega Incoming, Pic!

Just picked up a new Seamaster Professional 300 last week and wore it for the 3rd day today (wore my sub for the weekend) and I have absolutely been loving it! However, I do have some questions below:

1. First two days was within specs (+3 spd) for both days. However during the last 24 hours, the watch gained about +7 spd. Has any of you experienced something like this with this particular movement/model? Should I observe it for a few weeks or send it to my AD right away?

My sub has been pretty spot on ever since I got it at about +2 spd, so I thought this was a bit concerning.

2. As I was putting the watch away today, I was resetting the time to see how much it gains for tomorrow. For some reason I thought about winding it after wearing it for the day (not my best idea). As I was winding, the rotor was moving along with it. Is this normal? Is it possible that I have overwound the watch?

Thanks guys!

Re: First Omega Incoming, Pic!

Congratulations!

I would give it a while to settle in and see how the timing goes.

You shouldn’t be able to overwind the watch, the clutch mechanism should step in and then you are just turning the crown.

Nigel
    k12123 likes this.

Is that the same as the rotor turning with winding? If not, is this normal?

Quote Originally Posted by NMGE17 View Post
    Congratulations!

I would give it a while to settle in and see how the timing goes.

You shouldnít be able to overwind the watch, the clutch mechanism should step in and then you are just turning the crown.

Nigel

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Congrats on your SMP 300m.
    k12123 likes this.
    Dan

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ......
    My Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/barny.1976/

Current

Ω Omega Speedmaster 3592.50
    Ω Omega Planet Ocean Liquid Metal Limited Edition
    Apple Watch Series 3

Gone

Ω Omega Seamaster 300 60th Anniversary Limited Edition
    Rolex Submariner 114060
    Ω Omega 36mm Railmaster

Ω Omega Seamaster 300 Spectre Limited Edition
    Ω Omega 38mm Aqua Terra "Skyfall"
    Ω Omega Speedmaster 3873.50 Sapphire Sandwich
    Ω Omega Aqua Terra 39mm Starburst blue dial
    Ω Omega Planet Ocean 2209.50
    Ω Omega Seamaster 2254.50

Congratulations on the new SMP300. Great looking watch.
    k12123 likes this.
    I could stop buying watches, but I'm no quitter.

Rolex Submariner Ceramic ND 114060.
    Grand Seiko SBGN001G GMT.
    Omega Aqua Terra 8500.
    Omega Planet Ocean 8800.
    Omega Speedmaster 1863.

Casio MRG-8100B-1AJF.
    Casio MRG-7600-1AJF.
    Casio MRG-7700-1AJF.
    Casio GMW-B5000-1ER.
    Casio GW-5000-1AJF.

Congrats on your 300, itís a beauty!
    As for timing, it will vary depending on the position itís in and power reserve. Also it is an average timing measured in 6 positions. Check your own METAS results on line.
    k12123 likes this.

Hi
    You wonít overwind the watch as someone else has mentioned. Itís also normal regarding the rotor movement you mentioned....no nothing to worry about there
    Regarding timing, I would fully wind the watch and just wear it for an entire week, recording the difference against atomic clock daily. At the end of the week that will show you roughly where you are

Unless it is wildly out, eg out of spec, Iíd let it settle in for a few weeks

Cheers
    Jim

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    k12123 likes this.

Thanks Jim! I just compared it with my Hamilton Khaki Automatic and it seems to do the same thing once the watch is fully wound and I continue to wind, the rotor spins pretty significantly.

I searched other threads on this and other forums and it seems to be a common problem but folks seem to send their watch in for service and often times, the problem either doesnít get resolved or recurs shortly after.

Do you know the mechanism behind this? How come the rotor only spins with winding when itís fully wound but not when winding it from empty?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmer68 View Post
    Hi
    You wonít overwind the watch as someone else has mentioned. Itís also normal regarding the rotor movement you mentioned....no nothing to worry about there
    Regarding timing, I would fully wind the watch and just wear it for an entire week, recording the difference against atomic clock daily. At the end of the week that will show you roughly where you are

Unless it is wildly out, eg out of spec, Iíd let it settle in for a few weeks

Cheers
    Jim

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It’s not unusual for the movement to gain or lose time based on position or power reserve. Wearing it consistently over a period of days or weeks is the best way to judge accuracy. While these newer Omega movements are fairly consistent in various positions, they nevertheless show some variance.

As for the rotor, that can happen if you’re winding the watch and the mainspring is fully wound. Try winding it when the watch has run-down completely and I suspect the phenomenon you described won’t happen.
    k12123 likes this.

First of all, congrats on that beauty. Every time I see the new SMP it starts my brain off again. I really love all variants of that watch. As to accuracy, my advice would be to set it, wear it for a week and check the time after that. Read the METAs test info but in short they're tested/regulated to several fixed positions (6? from memory) and with normal wear its impossible to have your wrist in one of those positions at any one time ie you may work at a desk one day, then play golf the next and during that period your watch will be at 4 of the 6 positions and and everything in between so one day it may be 8 seconds out, the next it may recover 7 of them but lose 10 the day after that so setting and checking every day won't be a judge of accuracy. Ive found the Omega 8900 in my AT did vary during the first couple of weeks, possibly more than my other brands but with "normal wear" I can wear it for a couple of weeks, leaving if off at night, cycling, walking, swimming etc and its 20 seconds out so this averages out to being within spec. There was a thread a while back where someone had a similar issue and they took it to omega who tested it and it came back as passing all tests. They then tested it their own way, whatever that involved and found it to be well out. Although it wasnt! Enjoy your SMP.
    k12123 likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information