First Omega In Space (FOIS), A Comfortable Friend
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: First Omega In Space (FOIS), A Comfortable Friend

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

First Omega In Space (FOIS), A Comfortable Friend

After almost a decade of walking through the doors of the Omega Boutique here in Vancouver, I never feel like a valued customer, or a guest. Rather, I feel like an old friend. Always comfortable, never pressured. Matter of fact, my friend Jorge often tries to talk me out of buying a watch! These folks really have morals, and don't want you ending up with a watch you ultimately will not want.

When the Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Limited Edition was announced a few months ago, I rushed downtown to pay a deposit to secure one. A couple days later, I decided it would not be the one for me, and requested the deposit be put toward the upcoming James Bond Seamaster 300M Limited Edition. Done! When the James Bond LE model was announced a couple days ago, I decided it was not for me either. In anticipation of this eventuality, I had decided to use the amount of my deposit toward the FOIS. Even though Jorge wanted me to be absolutely certain of my decision, take time to think about it, I went ahead. Now, after three days, I have an amazing level of comfort wearing this watch. Not only because it fits my wrist beautifully, but I love how it looks and how well it fits my lifestyle. And it so reflects my comfort in knowing I acquired it from people who care. And always such a pleasure, and a lot of fun, to interact with all the wonderful Boutique staff. Not to mention all the amazing events I get invited too, and where I have met other wonderful people and made some great friends.

I'm not going into technical details here, as there is such an abundance of information available, compiled over the past seven years. Rather, I will just give my personal impressions. I just feel that this most special watch of mine deserves it's own thread.

What a remarkable watch. Not only from it's historical significance, a close reissue of Wally Schirra's own watch, the one he wore into space in 1962. Still a most aesthetically pleasing, beautifully crafted, accurate and robust timepiece after almost 60 years. I love almost more than any other feature, the beautiful symmetry of the dial, where no one element interferes with another. And the beautiful brown Barenia calf leather strap which forms an elegant contrast with the black dial and bezel. The applied Omega logo, the beautifully recessed subdials, and subtle almost pie pan dial which subtly slopes downward at the edges all give a visual impact. Since 2012, when the watch was first introduced, I passed on it because it does not have the original plexiglass crystal. Turns out I actually prefer the sapphire crystal, as it showcases the beautiful dial so vividly. And I love the human interaction of a manually wound movement.

As a good friend of mine said when asked why he likes this watch so much, "It's damn near perfect!". It is remarkable in a subtle, non-obtrusive way. It looks great, rich and classic, and fits in with virtually any occasion or any type clothing. Strong and robust enough for any situation. I love the solid case back, deeply and beautifully engraved with the legendary Hippocampus and "The First Omega In Space", "October 3, 1962".

A few photos taken over the past three days:

Name:  FOIS8.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  2.89 MB

Name:  FOIS9.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  3.13 MB

Name:  FOIS10.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  2.05 MB

Name:  FOIS11.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  2.40 MB

Name:  FOIS12.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  2.40 MB

Name:  FOIS13.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  1.75 MB

Name:  FOIS14.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  2.00 MB

Name:  FOIS1.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  2.47 MB

Name:  FOIS2.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  1.47 MB

Name:  FOIS4.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  2.30 MB

Thanks for checking out my review!

Cheers,
    Carl
    teeritz, NMGE17, cybercat and 14 others like this.
    Those who possess a sense of entitlement are seldom satis​fied.

Re: First Omega In Space (FOIS), A Comfortable Friend

Nicely written, Carl. It’s a beautiful watch, too. Enjoy it. And well done to the store staff who care more about their customers than they do about closing a sale. It was always a good feeling whenever I’d sold a watch to somebody knowing that they had chosen exactly the right watch for themselves.
    When the sales guy or gal doesn’t apply any pressure, they stand a better chance of having a repeat customer. Because they wind up selling a watch for all the right reasons.
    Congrats on a nice watch!
    carlhaluss, solesman and EightEyes like this.
    -teeritz-

Sent from the typing pool of the Double-O Section.

My other distractions---> https://teeritz.blogspot.com.au/

tinzer0 on Instagram

Lovely post Carl you have clearly made the right choice.

A colleague and I had a similar discussion yesterday about how some people who do our job just seem to do the minimum when with a few minutes of care and thought a far better outcome that much better suits and benefits the client can be achieved. Whether that is appreciated by all clients might be open to discussion. Your long time Omega haunt obviously have the right attitude and you clearly appreciate this and benefit.

Continue to enjoy your FOIS in good health.

Nigel
    carlhaluss and solesman like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by teeritz View Post
    Nicely written, Carl. It’s a beautiful watch, too. Enjoy it. And well done to the store staff who care more about their customers than they do about closing a sale. It was always a good feeling whenever I’d sold a watch to somebody knowing that they had chosen exactly the right watch for themselves.
    When the sales guy or gal doesn’t apply any pressure, they stand a better chance of having a repeat customer. Because they wind up selling a watch for all the right reasons.
    Congrats on a nice watch!
    Thanks. It is certainly the right way to do business, get repeat customers, and even make friends along the way. A gentleman, who has become a good friend of mine, owns a very high end Jewellery store here in Vancouver. A few months ago I was looking at a new limited edition H. Moser. We both commented on the very positive aspects of the watch. His comment to me was "As a friend, I would not recommend that watch for you." I am truly a fortunate guy to know a few businesses in this town who treat their customers this way, and makes enjoyment of my watch hobby - one of the greatest pleasures in my life - so much more enjoyable!

Quote Originally Posted by NMGE17 View Post
    Lovely post Carl you have clearly made the right choice.

A colleague and I had a similar discussion yesterday about how some people who do our job just seem to do the minimum when with a few minutes of care and thought a far better outcome that much better suits and benefits the client can be achieved. Whether that is appreciated by all clients might be open to discussion. Your long time Omega haunt obviously have the right attitude and you clearly appreciate this and benefit.

Continue to enjoy your FOIS in good health.

Nigel
    Thanks, Nigel. So true, and I know that many other customers at the Boutique feel the same as I do. I have made a few really good friends with some of the other clients I have met there. Such a pleasure!

Cheers,
    Carl
    NMGE17 likes this.

Thank for sharing. I appreciate the mini review and outstanding photography.
    carlhaluss likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rjohnson56 View Post
    Thank for sharing. I appreciate the mini review and outstanding photography.
    Thank you for taking time to read my review!

Congrats Carl! Great watch. Wear in top health!
    carlhaluss likes this.
    There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going

Quote Originally Posted by lo_scrivano View Post
    Congrats Carl! Great watch. Wear in top health!
    Thank you! I'm sure I will. This one is really starting to make me review my whole collection. Time will tell, of course, but I am more taken by it than I thought I would be.

You might be the best poster on WUS, Carl! I really get a sense of the sincere pleasure and appreciation you get from your watches.

Congratulations on another beautiful watch, and thanks for sharing your experience with us. This is what it's all about. Wonderful stuff.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information