First Post, First Luxury Watch: Omega 2531.80 Questions
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: First Post, First Luxury Watch: Omega 2531.80 Questions

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hey everyone,

Hopefully I'm posting this in the correct sub forum. This is my first post on watchuseek, but I couldn't be more impressed by the community you all have here. Anyway, I've slowly but surely been getting the watch bug. I have a few low grade Seikos and an inexpensive Glycine, but I think I'm ready to make the jump into luxury watch territory. This will be the first watch I've ever spent more than $300 on. After doing a little bit of research, I've decided on an Omega SMP 300 ref 2531.80.00. This seems to be a well loved watch at a very good price. I also loved the Brosnan Bond movies, so that doesn't hurt either.

All that to say, what would you guys recommend in buying a used SMP? Should I try to go through a dealer or would a private party (i.e. this forum) be a better option? Are there any years in the model's life that are better/worse? Honestly, any advice before purchasing my first "fancy" watch would be much appreciated.

Thanks for the help,

Andy

Re: First Post, First Luxury Watch: Omega 2531.80 Questions

I would buy it from the sales forum. Just remember you're buying the seller along with the watch. Do some research and you'll be fine.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I too would recommend buying here and get a piece that meets your requirements on condition. You don’t want to drop more $ on servicing etc for your first time piece. It should arrive in ready to keep condition.

I have a much later model (2220.80) which I decided on after an extremely detailed search for the perfect Bond SMP. I like Brosnon but I also like Daniel Craig and more importantly the upgrades on this version. Happy hunting! The 2531 (and it’s quartz cousin) are iconic IMO.

Quick shot of my SMP...

There are no shortcuts to any place worth going

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Check exelonman (a sponsor here) using watchrecon.

Quote Originally Posted by andlours View Post
    Hey everyone,
    This is my first post on watchuseek, but I couldn't be more impressed by the community you all have here.
    ::
    I'm ready to make the jump into luxury watch territory. This will be the first watch I've ever spent more than $300 on.
    After doing a little bit of research, I've decided on an Omega SMP 300 ref 2531.80.00. This seems to be a well loved watch at a very good price.
    would you guys recommend in buying a used SMP?
    Should I try to go through a dealer or would a private party (i.e. this forum) be a better option?
    Honestly, any advice before purchasing my first "fancy" watch would be much appreciated.
    Firstly, welcome to WUS and I hope you will derive great joy out of WUS and the fellowship with watch friends online.

Instead of jumping straight to the usual advice that everyone here repeats which is "buy the seller, not the watch", I want you to do this;

Search WUS for thread titles of "Help, I have been scammed" or "Mod, please help" or something along those lines. You will see how scammers work. They send you pretty pictures and sell you a watch you cannot resist. There is a reason why sometimes watches are "very good price" as you said. That is because it is either a fake or you are being sent a brick in a parcel.

Most newbies start by researching about the watch but forget to research about the seller and the modus operandi of scammers.

If you have found your perfect watch, post in the Omega Fake Busters thread. Plenty of experts there who will help you spot fakes. I am not to say it will eliminate the risk of buying a fake, but it will reduce your likelihood of buying one.

An older SMP 300 is good watch and if well maintained, should be good to go. Again, trusted sellers and sellers with good reputation here on WUS are the ones least likely to scam you or sell you a dud.

Whether you go dealer or private, it can't be stressed enough that nothing beats good reputation. There are some private sellers here on WUS who do this nearly full time and are as trustworthy as any dealer out there.

There you have it. Best of luck, and we'll see you in the Omega thread.

Quote Originally Posted by lo_scrivano View Post
    I too would recommend buying here and get a piece that meets your requirements on condition. You don’t want to drop more $ on servicing etc for your first time piece. It should arrive in ready to keep condition.

I have a much later model (2220.80) which I decided on after an extremely detailed search for the perfect Bond SMP. I like Brosnon but I also like Daniel Craig and more importantly the upgrades on this version. Happy hunting! The 2531 (and it’s quartz cousin) are iconic IMO.

Quick shot of my SMP...

That's a beautiful watch. I hadn't even really thought about the 2220.80, but that would be a great option as well.

Thanks for all the advice. I really appreciate it. I'll post an update in this thread when I finally get something.
    Betterthere likes this.

That's a beautiful watch. I hadn't even really thought about the 2220.80, but that would be a great option as well.
    Well you know where to find me if you want to learn more. A few forum members own this particular model.

What drew you to the 2220 instead of the 2531? I'm on the fence between the two at the moment. I like the applied markers, longer hands, and red accent writing of the 2220, but I also like the the 2531 is slimmer. I think I'm indifferent towards the the upgraded coaxial movement, at least I haven't read anything that is swaying me one way or the other on it vs. the previous version.

What drew you to the 2220 instead of the 2531? I'm on the fence between the two at the moment. I like the applied markers, longer hands, and red accent writing of the 2220, but I also like the the 2531 is slimmer. I think I'm indifferent towards the the upgraded coaxial movement, at least I haven't read anything that is swaying me one way or the other on it vs. the previous version.
    You caught most of it. I like the dial layout and touch of color and more robust applied markers. I think it makes the watch look a bit more classy. I wear it ALL the time and it is not a thick watch. How much thicker is it than the 2531?

Here is the video I watched obsessively before I made my purchase. God speed!

https://youtu.be/07m3P4-BQ-E

AD (Instagram @officine_scrivano)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast