First Speedmaster: "Professional Rhodium" - Page 2
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: First Speedmaster: "Professional Rhodium"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: First Speedmaster: "Professional Rhodium"

Quote Originally Posted by hornsup84 View Post
    Congrats - my Pro Rhodium which arrived earlier this week! I prefer the look of patina on older models with the functionality of the newer caliber, so went with the 1863/tritium...
    Congrats to you as well Those markers developed a very nice patina, wow Not to mention, your configuration is pretty rare because Omega phased in the 1861/1863 and soon after phased out Tritium. You have a transitional of sorts - 1997 is my guess

Quote Originally Posted by Travelller View Post
    Congrats to you as well Those markers developed a very nice patina, wow Not to mention, your configuration is pretty rare because Omega phased in the 1861/1863 and soon after phased out Tritium. You have a transitional of sorts - 1997 is my guess
    Precisely, it was an ideal combo for me -- warranty card is very early 1998, so was a 1997 manufacture!
    Travelller likes this.

Yup, great minds think alike. My first Omega, a 3572, came in today. Really digging it so far.

Blue skies, y'all!
    -only Jake
    Travelller and Titan II like this.
    Haves: Kingston | A-13A | U-2 | Paradive | 3572 | Vantage | Key West | 856 | D2C
    Dreams:
    X-33 SE | Speedyorite | BLNR | Weltzeit | DC86 | Type 1

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by JFingers View Post
    Yup, great minds think alike. My first Omega, a 3572, came in today...
    Congrats to you as well
    Clearly a desirable combination and fortunately for us, still available here and there... for now!
    Enjoy

I was only 8, but I can still remember watching the last Apollo mission launch from Cape Canaveral (from Merritt Island) Today, I came across the mission patch I took home

very nice and congrats!
    Travelller likes this.

Now that I've had it long enough for valid accuracy checks, I thought I'd jot down my notes.
    First off, my sample is amazingly accurate when worn and when stored crown-down. I'm talking -1/+4 daily. That's assuming >40% PR (i.e. winding it daily).

I can work with this combination so as far as I'm concerned, it's all good

Having said that... the 1863 starts to lose accuracy dramatically as the PR approaches 0. At roughly 25% PR, I'm looking at -5 and at 5%, -15. While there's no reason to run it down that low, I have to say it's the worst of all my watches, incl. my 48hrs automatics (my Rolex 16600, for example).

Finally, storing it in any position other than crown-down also results in dramatic accuracy loss, this time in the opposite direction. For example, I've noted variances of up to +12/day when placing it in crown up, dial up, etc.

Speedmaster FTW!
    Last edited by Travelller; February 29th, 2016 at 23:22.

I have worn this beauty for the past 44 years. It is a little banged up now but still keeping great time. '72 861.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Titan II and Travelller like this.
    Omega Aqua Terra 15'000 GAUSS

Without paperwork, seems to be a continuum between the 3592.50 and the 3572.50:

3592.50 (863 movement, "Apollo XI" caseback)
    3592.50 / 3572.50 "Professional Yellow" (863 movement, "Professional" caseback)
    3572.50 "Professional Rhodium (1863 movement, "Professional" caseback)

The problem is that when you have a "Professional Yellow" do you call it a 3592.50 or a 3572.50?

Personally, since its easier to swap out a caseback than a movement, I've decided to categorize "Professional Yellows" as 3592.50s

Quote Originally Posted by Travelller View Post
    Now that I've had it long enough for valid accuracy checks, I thought I'd jot down my notes.
    First off, my sample is amazingly accurate when worn and when stored crown-down. I'm talking -1/+4 daily. That's assuming >40% PR (i.e. winding it daily).

I can work with this combination so as far as I'm concerned, it's all good

Having said that... the 1863 starts to lose accuracy dramatically as the PR approaches 0. At roughly 25% PR, I'm looking at -5 and at 5%, -15. While there's no reason to run it down that low, I have to say it's the worst of all my watches, incl. my 48hrs automatics (my Rolex 16600, for example).

Finally, storing it in any position other than crown-down also results in dramatic accuracy loss, this time in the opposite direction. For example, I've noted variances of up to +12/day when placing it in crown up, dial up, etc.

Speedmaster FTW!
    I don't think the Speedy is a chronometer grade movement, so it's possible the rate swings with position and low power reserve are normal, but I wonder if it indicates it needs a service? I'd get the watchmaker to check out the jewels with a microscope and see if there's oil in there, and check the amplitude on a timing machine.

I always wind my '76 Speedy daily if I decide to wear it for a while, and with a daily wind I'm usually within -0.5 to +2 sec/day depending on my activity, but it's about +1.5 laying on it's back after a service in 2014.

EDIT - it just occurred to me that with a low amplitude the watch would run faster, yet yours runs slower. Hmmm...
    Last edited by larryganz; March 1st, 2016 at 07:44.
    Travelller likes this.
    OMEGA * Grey Side of the Moon * Ti PO 8500 & 9300 * PO LM LE * X-33 Solar Impulse LE * Speedy Tuesday LE * SMPc Chrono * Speedmaster Pro 861, 3570.50+3572.50 * Ti SMP Chrono 2298.80 * SMP Bond * WatchCo SM300 * '62 Seamaster DeVille x2
    ROLEX *
    Pepsi GMT Master II Ceramic * Rolex SubC Hulk * Rolex SubC ND
    OTHER * Grand Seiko SBGX115 * Hamilton Harrison Ford Chrono * DOXA Poseidon LE * Bulova Moon x2 * Victorinox Dive Master 500 x3 * Luminox Atacama 1842 & 1923 + Colormark 3157 * Red Bull Formula 1 * Seiko Astron GPS * Seiko Prospex LE/PADI/SKX007/009/173 * Citizen Ti Perpetual Cal x2 +300M Diver x3 * DLC Apple Watch * Egard Passages * Casio ProTrek Solar x2 * Commander 300 * NTH Sub x2
    SOLD * Omega AT Skyfall, MC, 2503.33, Great White GMT & SMP Mid * Rolex Sub Hulk, 16800, TT Sub, Polar Exp x3, black Exp II, Yachmaster * GMT II Coke & BLNR * Nomos Midnight Orion stolen * Omega CK-2998LE * Silver Snoopy Award LE * POLMLE & 2201.51 * TAG Classic 2K * SMPc * GSOTM#2 * Speedy 3513.30

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information