Half link for the new speedmaster professional - Page 5
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Half link for the new speedmaster professional

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Re: Half link for the new speedmaster professional

It occurs to me it would be pretty easy to make clasp attaching links in any length desired. Flat steel, machine one middle section out of one end, drill two holes, brush to match finish. Tap screw holes if you have a screw bracelet.

Yes it can be done!

A fellow watch collector did it with a half link 115ST1610 and the clasp attaching link from a 1998/849 bracelet.

Sorry I am new . I can not post Pictures.

Hammond likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by auspuffturbolader View Post
    There are NO HALF LINKS for the new Speedmaster bracelets, not even mods or stealing links from other Omega bracelets. End of story. That is reason #1 why the new bracelet is so flawed.
    Sorry to disagree but this is flat wrong. It all depends on how much work and money one wants to put into this. Taking a 1610 half link to a machine shop and having the holes tapped to fit the screws from the screw bracelet is one solution. One would also need to sleeve the other side but this can be done. An easier solution is to drill the last link before the clasp attaching link .3mm oversize and using the OME-118ST162012 clasp attaching link to connect to the clasp. The pins on both the pin and tube bracelet and the screw and pin bracelet both measure .95mm. By drilling the last link before the OME-118ST162012 the use of a omega friction tube is allowed. The holes on the inner portion of the tube and pin bracelet links are .3mm bigger in diameter to accommodate the tube.

Attachment 6438865
    From top to bottom, new screw style 1958/957, Pin and tube style 1998/849 with OME-118ST162012 attached and 1620/887 broad arrow bracelet. The OME-118ST162012is really like a third link, but the extension is there.[/QUOTE]

Well I guess if everyone had precision tools, CNC machines, pre-fabrication CAD software and clean rooms it would be easy to make any bracelet or link or fitting one so desires, but the vast majority of watch wearers are sadly unable to access or use such equipment. In the same way you can make a 458 Speciale fit 9 passengers but is it advisable, and for sure Ferrari would disown and not offer any support for such a modified piece of metal.

Yes, time and money can solve everything when it comes to personal fit but it is still 100% correct in saying that Omega does not produce half links for the new Speedy Bracelet. They produce links which can be MacGuyver'd to possibly working, but from their factory no such link exists. Also, you forgot to mention you'd have to get the thread size, pitch, depth, orientation and amount correct so the miniscule screws wouldn't be damaged or fall out, and who knows what the exact measurements Omega uses for such screws.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

True enough, with time and money most things are possible. But the fact that Omega refuses to make a half-link and we even have to have this conversation is insane.
    GTTIME and tmathes like this.
    Cheers,
    Greg

Does anyone know how much heavier the newer bracelet is than the 1998?
    Last edited by AK CH; December 27th, 2015 at 09:46.

Quote Originally Posted by GregoryD View Post
    True enough, with time and money most things are possible. But the fact that Omega refuses to make a half-link and we even have to have this conversation is insane.
    It's rather pathetic that my el-cheapo Timex and Casio watches with metal bracelets, which cost about $50-60 each, have more fine adjustments and better fit than a $5000 fine Swiss watch. I find too often some of the cheap-outs in higher-end Swiss watch companies is ludicrous. Then again I've seen amenities or design touches better thought out in a $20,000 Chevrolet or Ford than a $50,000 Audi.

I'm convinced sometimes it's a cultural difference between the continents and how they approach design.
    rossi46 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tmathes View Post

I'm convinced sometimes it's a cultural difference between the continents and how they approach design.
    I'm convinced it's just good old arrogance and a willingness to ignore your customers repeated requests for a solution. Yeah, you're not going to make millions by engineering a half link, or a clasp upgrade, but it would get people to come into the boutiques.

Quote Originally Posted by AK CH View Post
    Does anyone know how much heavier the newer bracelet is than the 1998?

Yeah, good question, Buddy. I was wondering that too.

Like this
    Attached Images Attached Images

GTTIME likes this.

Rather than mucking about with drilling links, what about the idea of drilling two holes through the sidewalls of the clasp in order to provide more adjustability for the spring bar? This is certain to be a far less technically challenging job.
    See the black arrow on the included image which i have shamelessly copied from 1clubman's post.

Name:  e9e6yja51.JPG
Views: 508
Size:  124.8 KB

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread Information