Hands-on at Baselworld with the new Aqua Terra editions
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Hands-on at Baselworld with the new Aqua Terra editions

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Multiple Forum Sponsor - Topper Fine Jewelers

As it's already been discussed at length already, I won't chime in on which generation of the the Seamaster Aqua Terra has been my favorite. What I will do though, is share a few wrist shots of the new key AT models. Omega has gone to great lengths to streamline this design in both wrist presence and dial aesthetic – which they certainly have succeeded, now, whether or not that's an improvement is up to you. At a glance, the differences are subtle – like the new conical crown sans crown guards, the removal of the 'water resistant' wordmark on the dial, the slimming of the font in the rehaut, or the shift of the date aperture to 6:00. I would say that these are all genuine improvements in the name of a cleaner, more symmetrical appearance and very balanced on the wrist. As for the orientation of the teak lines on the dial... How about we check out some photos?

8100 RPM, Iliyan, ccm123 and 1 others like this.
    Rob Caplan
    Twitter Robattopper
    Topper Fine Jewelers
    1315 Burlingame Ave
    Burlingame Ca 94010
    [email protected]
    www.topperjewelers.com
    Monday-Saturday 10:5:30
    888-730-2221
    650-347-2221
    Watchuseek Sponsor

Re: Hands-on at Baselworld with the new Aqua Terra editions

Not as bad as I first thought, but not sure I'm that excited about the changes either. Would have to see it in person, but right now the AT Skyfall 38.5mm still appeals to me more (other than the crap lume mine had that made me return it). The dark grey and silver dials have a little bit of the "meteorite" flavor to them, more than a teak look.
    fskywalker likes this.
    OMEGA * Grey Side of the Moon * Ti PO 8500 & 9300 * PO LM LE * X-33 Solar Impulse LE * Speedy Tuesday LE * SMPc Chrono * Speedmaster Pro 861, 3570.50+3572.50 x2 * Ti SMP Chrono 2298.80 * SMP Bond * WatchCo SM300 * '62 Seamaster DeVille x2
    ROLEX *
    Pepsi GMT Master II Ceramic * Rolex SubC Hulk * Rolex SubC ND
    OTHER * Grand Seiko SBGX115 * Hamilton Harrison Ford Chrono * DOXA Poseidon LE * Bulova Moon x2 * Victorinox Dive Master 500 x3 * Luminox Atacama 1842+1923 & Colormark 3157 * Red Bull Formula 1 * Seiko Astron GPS * Seiko Prospex LE/PADI/SKX007/009/173 * Citizen Ti Perpetual Cal x2 +300M Diver x3 * DLC Apple Watch * Egard Passages * Casio ProTrek Solar x2 * Commander 300 * NTH Sub x2
    SOLD * Omega AT Skyfall, MC, 2503.33, Great White GMT & SMP Mid * Rolex Sub Hulk, 16800, TT Sub, Polar Exp x3, black Exp II, Yachmaster * GMT II Coke & BLNR * Nomos Midnight Orion stolen * Omega CK-2998LE * Silver Snoopy Award LE * POLMLE & 2201.51 * TAG Classic 2K * SMPc * GSOTM#2 * Speedy 3513.30

Uneven dial pattern bugs me more and more , i like silver dial
    Iliyan likes this.
    Ω Seamaster Aqua Terra 231.10.42.21.03.003

Gone:
    Steinhart OVM2
    Steinhart Apollon Chronograph

Want:
    Ω Speedmaster Professional 311.30.42.30.01.005
    Ω Planet Ocean 215.30.44.21.01.001

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm beginning to think that these new AT's will wear bigger than the previous ones. When you shave off a few millimeters of metal on the crown side, the overall diameter of the crystal and dial will have to be adjusted a few millimeters to compensate for the loss. Hence, the new AT will have a bigger dial compared to the previous model--even if they have the same overall width.
    Rolex Daytona 116520 White Dial | Jaeger-Lecoultre Grande Reverso 976 | Omega Railmaster LE 1957 Trilogy | Omega Speedmaster Pro Moonwatch | Omega PO 8500 42mm Orange Arabics | Omega AT 8500 38.5mm Skyfall | Seiko SKX009 | Seiko SKX007 | Casio G-Shock Mudmaster 1A9 | Citizen EcoDrive Toyota 86 Edition x 3

Thank you Rob for the pics and info. The new ones are growing on me. Question: on the rubber straps, the metal insert between the lugs is part of the strap, right?

The silver-dialed one does have a meteorite look to it, as DocJekl says above. I like it.

I like the vertical teak pattern best. The problem with the change to horizontal is that it instantly "dates" all the other Aqua Terras that came before it (of course, the original had no teak pattern). Not only is it a new orientation, but a new pattern altogether: little boards are now grouped together to form a large board panel - on a luxury sailboat, of course.

In protest, I shall wear my vertically-teaked Aqua Terra today. Take that, Omega!

Name:  at2.jpg
Views: 1749
Size:  722.4 KB
    4counters and fskywalker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonde View Post

In protest, I shall wear my vertically-teaked Aqua Terra today. Take that, Omega!

Name:  at2.jpg
Views: 1749
Size:  722.4 KB

Yeah, but in that picture, you are actually wearing your vertical teak design horizontally.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    6R15, DocJekl, solesman and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by robattopper View Post
    As it's already been discussed at length already, I won't chime in on which generation of the the Seamaster Aqua Terra has been my favorite. What I will do though, is share a few wrist shots of the new key AT models. Omega has gone to great lengths to streamline this design in both wrist presence and dial aesthetic – which they certainly have succeeded, now, whether or not that's an improvement is up to you. At a glance, the differences are subtle – like the new conical crown sans crown guards, the removal of the 'water resistant' wordmark on the dial, the slimming of the font in the rehaut, or the shift of the date aperture to 6:00. I would say that these are all genuine improvements in the name of a cleaner, more symmetrical appearance and very balanced on the wrist. As for the orientation of the teak lines on the dial... How about we check out some photos?

There she is!
    fskywalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonde View Post
    Thank you Rob for the pics and info. The new ones are growing on me. Question: on the rubber straps, the metal insert between the lugs is part of the strap, right?

I like the vertical teak pattern best. The problem with the change to horizontal is that it instantly "dates" all the other Aqua Terras that came before it (of course, the original had no teak pattern).
    I was worried about this too, but it's just an insert on the rubber strap to help it fit better against the wrist.

As for the changes, I agree about how all the meddling dates older variants, which is a bummer, but ultimately it feels like a trajectory of improvement all the while. Can't wait to try one on to know for sure.
    fskywalker likes this.

I wonder if the new ones with the new movement are as thick as the previous generation........ looking at pictures they look pretty thick, so guess my 36mm sunburst blue 2500 AT is a keeper

Last edited by fskywalker; March 26th, 2017 at 04:42.
    Francisco
    Ω 2535.80.00 / 3592.50.00 / 2232.30 / 2504.52 / 168.022
    ♛ 16610 / 18239

Enjoying the pictures but this is a nogo for me.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information