Has anyone had their Omega go in for an overhaul? - Page 2
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Has anyone had their Omega go in for an overhaul?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Has anyone had their Omega go in for an overhaul?

Pretty much any time you send an Omega in to their service department, they will swap out anything that looks remotely worn and return your watch lightly repolished and in perfect condition. I've had a couple of POs done and it's honestly like getting a new watch back. You'll even get all the replaced bits (cogs, gears, watch springs, hands etc) back in a plastic bag, along with a list of work done. Sure, they're more expensive than a local watchmaker, but all the replacement parts are included in the cost of the service (within reason). Totally worth it in my opinion.

I had my 2500 series Planet Ocean XL serviced by Omega earlier this year. They polished the case, serviced the movement (it was losing 15 seconds a day), replaced all gaskets, both crowns, a couple of gears, the hands, and some screws. They left the aluminum bezel insert alone but wanted to replace the crystal because of rub marks in the external AR coating, which I declined. Cost was $650 plus tax, and was gone for three months. The polishing made the watch look nearly brand new.

It quit working two weeks after I got it back with the hands binding near midnight. Back to Omega it went for another month to have it repaired under their two-year service warranty.

Name:  A9A225BD-A6B6-4FF7-8F9A-9C9E82923D1B.jpeg
Views: 76
Size:  621.6 KB

I was so disappointed with the experience that I sold the watch the day I got it back for the second time. In retrospect, I should have just chalked it up to “stuff happens” and moved on. I tried to console my sorrows with several Seiko divers (SKX007, Sumo, SBDC077 Green Sea, Tuna) but still missed the Planet Ocean, which is my dream diver watch. Six months later, I sold all the Seikos and bought a gently-used 8500 series PO. I am happier now.

Will I send my Omega into the mothership for service again? I think probably so, as it did come out looking great and to be fair, they fixed the hands binding issue at no cost to me. I had lost faith in that particular 2500 PO, and have higher hopes with the 8500 PO I have now.

Name:  7BD55B7B-6B40-43D8-847B-2AE5A6760667.jpeg
Views: 84
Size:  886.9 KB
    Last edited by Lee_K; 2 Weeks Ago at 17:01.
    duc likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee_K View Post

Will I send my Omega into the mothership for service again? I think probably so, as it did come out looking great and to be fair, they fixed the hands binding issue at no cost to me. I had lost faith in the 2500 PO, and have higher hopes with the 8500 PO I have now.
    Me too. Had issues with the 2500 and just bought this last week

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by anonymousmoose View Post
    Me too. Had issues with the 2500 and just bought this last week
    [/IMG]

Congratulations on the 8900! They are beautiful watches indeed.

What I didn't mention in my post is my 2500 Planet Ocean had been completely overhauled by an independent watchmaker when I bought it. I noticed the -15 seconds a day almost immediately so I took to a second independent watchmaker who said it was "giving strange results on the timegrapher". That's when I decided to knuckle under and send it to Omega proper, with the rest of the story recounted above. So, four different watchmakers worked on it and it was gone for five months out of the year I owned it. Hence my decision to cut my losses and move on from that particular watch. Still love the design, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee_K View Post
    Congratulations on the 8900! They are beautiful watches indeed.

What I didn't mention in my post is my 2500 Planet Ocean had been completely overhauled by an independent watchmaker when I bought it. I noticed the -15 seconds a day almost immediately so I took to a second independent watchmaker who said it was "giving strange results on the timegrapher". That's when I decided to knuckle under and send it to Omega proper, with the rest of the story recounted above. So, four different watchmakers worked on it and it was gone for five months out of the year I owned it. Hence my decision to cut my losses and move on from that particular watch. Still love the design, though.
    It was 3 or 4 trips to omega under warranty that was the final straw for me

Just sent my 2254.50 off to Omega to have it serviced. After 10 years of reliable operation, it was time. I purchased it new from an AD and it is conservatively a 8.5/10. I am going to miss my red dot. I will keep you posted.

I had my PO I bought in 2011 serviced early last year. I took it to an Omega boutique I frequent quite often and requested they send it to be serviced in Bienne instead of the UK service centre. The watch was gone for 8 weeks ands came back like new. It was losing 5 seconds per day but is now gaining 1-2 seconds per day. They replaced the gaskets, some gears, all the hands and the crystal. Highly recommended.
    Dan

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ......
    My Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/barny.1976/

Current

Rolex Submariner 14060M Y Serial
    Ω Omega Planet Ocean Liquid Metal Limited Edition

Gone

Ω Omega Speedmaster 3592.50
    Ω Omega Seamaster 300 60th Anniversary Limited Edition
    Rolex Submariner 114060
    Ω Omega 36mm Railmaster

Ω Omega Seamaster 300 Spectre Limited Edition
    Ω Omega 38mm Aqua Terra "Skyfall"
    Ω Omega Speedmaster 3873.50 Sapphire Sandwich
    Ω Omega Aqua Terra 39mm Starburst blue dial
    Ω Omega Planet Ocean 2209.50
    Ω Omega Seamaster 2254.50

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by solesman View Post
    I had my PO I bought in 2011 serviced early last year. I took it to an Omega boutique I frequent quite often and requested they send it to be serviced in Bienne instead of the UK service centre. The watch was gone for 8 weeks ands came back like new. It was losing 5 seconds per day but is now gaining 1-2 seconds per day. They replaced the gaskets, some gears, all the hands and the crystal. Highly recommended.
    That's pretty interesting, Dan. Is that something The Boutique will do for anyone upon request? Did you have to pay shipping to and from Bienne?

I'd like to hear more if you don't mind.

René
    Citizen Navihawk
    Momentum Supernova, Titan II (GONE--gifted to a friend's son), Aquamatic II (Blue Dial)
    OMEGA Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch (ref 310.30.42.30.01.005), Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial Chronometer (ref 233.30.41.21.01.001)
    Seiko SKX007 (GONE--gifted to my uncle)
    Steinhart Marine Chronometer II Roman (Unitas 6498), Nav. B-Chrono II DLC (ETA Valjoux 7750)(SOLD), Nav. B-Uhr II (Unitas 6497)(SOLD), Ocean One Vintage (ETA 2824-2) (SOLD), Ocean One Vintage Red (ETA 2824-2) (SOLD)

Will Omega not repolish the case if you ask them?

En cas d'absence, je ne suis pas là. Si vous n'êtes pas là non plus, il n'y a personne.

Quote Originally Posted by d4nimal View Post
    Will Omega not repolish the case if you ask them?
    just like quality of service, it's a completely random experience,
    I'd try to get a vibe on the particular omega centre you'd be entrusting your watch to before making a decision,
    if unable to, dig up a good independent watchmaker.
    there are very little mistakes done with watches that can actually be erased,
    I can't stress enough the importance of getting it right from the start.
    Last edited by hugof3C; 1 Week Ago at 03:29.
    d4nimal likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information