Has anyone had their Omega go in for an overhaul? - Page 3
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Has anyone had their Omega go in for an overhaul?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Has anyone had their Omega go in for an overhaul?

I had heard some horror stories about the service centre in the UK, so being the watch was originally made is Switzerland I thought it made sense to send it there. I didn't have to pay any shipping. I dropped the watch off at the boutique and headed into London when the boutique phoned to say it had arrived back in the UK. I was told it would take longer having it serviced there which was fine with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan II View Post
    That's pretty interesting, Dan. Is that something The Boutique will do for anyone upon request? Did you have to pay shipping to and from Bienne?

I'd like to hear more if you don't mind.

René
    Dan

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ......
    My Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/barny.1976/

Current

Rolex Submariner 14060M Y Serial
    Ω Omega Planet Ocean Liquid Metal Limited Edition

Gone

Ω Omega Speedmaster 3592.50
    Ω Omega Seamaster 300 60th Anniversary Limited Edition
    Rolex Submariner 114060
    Ω Omega 36mm Railmaster

Ω Omega Seamaster 300 Spectre Limited Edition
    Ω Omega 38mm Aqua Terra "Skyfall"
    Ω Omega Speedmaster 3873.50 Sapphire Sandwich
    Ω Omega Aqua Terra 39mm Starburst blue dial
    Ω Omega Planet Ocean 2209.50
    Ω Omega Seamaster 2254.50

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Thanks for the info, Dan. Much appreciated.

I think I'm going to go that route as well when my Speedmaster Pro is due to be serviced, which is coming up soon. Come January I'll have had it 5 years already.

I haven't heard any terrible stories about the service centre out here (I think ours is in Toronto), but the Swiss take their timepieces very seriously, and I want the best for my Speedmaster.

I'm going to have to enquire at the Boutique, but if there are no additional shipping costs associated with sending it to Bienne then that's what I'm going to do.

Just out of curiosity, at what intervals do you send your watches in for service? There is so much conflicting information out there these days. I believe the recommended time interval is every 5 years (for watches like the Speemaster Pro) and every 10 years for newer, Master Chronometer models.

You (Rolex) and Tino (RADO) have me thinking about picking up my first vintage watch. It will be awhile yet because first, there is much research to do. Any tips/pointers in that regard would be most welcome.

Cheers Dan!

René

Quote Originally Posted by solesman View Post
    I had heard some horror stories about the service centre in the UK, so being the watch was originally made is Switzerland I thought it made sense to send it there. I didn't have to pay any shipping. I dropped the watch off at the boutique and headed into London when the boutique phoned to say it had arrived back in the UK. I was told it would take longer having it serviced there which was fine with me.

That's pretty interesting, Dan. Is that something The Boutique will do for anyone upon request? Did you have to pay shipping to and from Bienne?

René
    Citizen Navihawk
    Momentum Supernova, Titan II (GONE--gifted to a friend's son), Aquamatic II (Blue Dial)
    OMEGA Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch (ref 310.30.42.30.01.005), Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial Chronometer (ref 233.30.41.21.01.001)
    Seiko SKX007 (GONE--gifted to my uncle)
    Steinhart Marine Chronometer II Roman (Unitas 6498), Nav. B-Chrono II DLC (ETA Valjoux 7750)(SOLD), Nav. B-Uhr II (Unitas 6497)(SOLD), Ocean One Vintage (ETA 2824-2) (SOLD), Ocean One Vintage Red (ETA 2824-2) (SOLD)

In years to come I'd consider getting my 1st and always close to my heart SMP overhauled. It's showing scratches, dings and fading from years of wearing
    Last edited by anonymousmoose; 1 Week Ago at 06:26.
    keisuke_z likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Sent my father's '68 Speedy Pro to Switzerland via our local AD.

£1,500 later it was back after a full overhaul (we were told the cost before we gave the go ahead).

6 months after the overhaul one of the new pushers stopped working. Back to Switzerland for a free fix and it's been fine since.
    David - in the UK

I have a ladies Omega Seamaster Pro with a unique mother of Pearl dial that I bought pre-owned for my wife. It was a “drawer” watch that sat in a box for 10+ years and appeared almost BNIB. The watch ran slow and I figured the oils had aged and got gummy. It needed to be cleaned and overhauled. There was nothing wrong or damaged. I took it to the AD for service. It took 4-6 weeks to get an estimate, it was for $1,600 which included replacing the MOP dial. There was zero wrong with the dial. So I took it to a local pro watchmaker who serviced it for about $350. Keeps COSC +2 now.
    duc, anonymousmoose and dub82 like this.
    We may be lost but we're making good time.

I had an overhaul done to my PO2500C about 3 years ago at the OB where I live. Before the service it would lose 3 s/d consistently, being 11 years old (used to be + 1.5 s/d).

They changed many parts including crown and escapement wheel, returning the old ones. They performed a very superficial polishing, didn't need much as the watch was mint. It took them 6 weeks.

After the overhaul, the movement was behaving erraticly swinging from +15 to -10 s/d, well out of COSC. Also they broke the bezel. I had pictures taken before the overhaul and showed them where it had been damaged (big protuberance a 2 o'clock, presumably where they applied force underneath to dislodge it in the overhaul).

Within the 2 years warranty they did a second complete overhaul and replaced the bezel (another 6 weeks wait). End result was perfect, accuracy excellent +2 -2 on average.

Cost 410 euros.
    OMEGAFORCE likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by VicLeChic View Post
    I had an overhaul done to my PO2500C about 3 years ago at the OB where I live. Before the service it would lose 3 s/d consistently, being 11 years old (used to be + 1.5 s/d).

They changed many parts including crown and escapement wheel, returning the old ones. They performed a very superficial polishing, didn't need much as the watch was mint. It took them 6 weeks.

After the overhaul, the movement was behaving erraticly swinging from +15 to -10 s/d, well out of COSC. Also they broke the bezel. I had pictures taken before the overhaul and showed them where it had been damaged (big protuberance a 2 o'clock, presumably where they applied force underneath to dislodge it in the overhaul).

Within the 2 years warranty they did a second complete overhaul and replaced the bezel (another 6 weeks wait). End result was perfect, accuracy excellent +2 -2 on average.

Cost 410 euros.
    Where was it some? Switzerland?

Quote Originally Posted by anonymousmoose View Post
    Where was it some? Switzerland?
    First overhaul in Spain in summer (apprentice watchmaker?), second overhaul same place but after the senior watchmakers came back from holiday.

Is it possible to insist the watch go to Switzerland, and not pay extra?

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Here are a few posts from earlier in the thread that talk about sending a watch to Bienne for service, and any extra charges that may apply.

René

I had my PO I bought in 2011 serviced early last year. I took it to an Omega boutique I frequent quite often and requested they send it to be serviced in Bienne instead of the UK service centre. The watch was gone for 8 weeks ands came back like new. It was losing 5 seconds per day but is now gaining 1-2 seconds per day. They replaced the gaskets, some gears, all the hands and the crystal. Highly recommended.

René
    Citizen Navihawk
    Momentum Supernova, Titan II (GONE--gifted to a friend's son), Aquamatic II (Blue Dial)
    OMEGA Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch (ref 310.30.42.30.01.005), Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial Chronometer (ref 233.30.41.21.01.001)
    Seiko SKX007 (GONE--gifted to my uncle)
    Steinhart Marine Chronometer II Roman (Unitas 6498), Nav. B-Chrono II DLC (ETA Valjoux 7750)(SOLD), Nav. B-Uhr II (Unitas 6497)(SOLD), Ocean One Vintage (ETA 2824-2) (SOLD), Ocean One Vintage Red (ETA 2824-2) (SOLD)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information